Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    There will be an unlocked version, but a release date is still unknown. eXpansys, for example, will be carrying the unlocked model (as they always do), and several people have confirmed with palmOne that they will be offering it directly as well. These will work on T-Mobile, but T-Mobile may not support them (e.g., if you have GPRS connectivity issues while traveling). If time is an issue (i.e., you don't want to wait a few months), you may be able to use the AT&T/Cingular model if it's unlocked, and you may also be able to unlock the AT&T/Cingular model yourself.
    Can someone please educate me on how to buy a AT&T/Cingular model without signing a contract? I would love to get the phone with the carrier subsidized price, but I would have to sign a 1 or 2 year contract. Someone has posted something saying that sometimes Cingular lets you get a phone for the subsidized price without a contract... if you are a current Cingular customer.

Since I am currently a T-Mobile customer, I don't see how I can get a Cingular / AT&T phone to unlock without signing a contract.

Can someone please please please advise?

T-Mobile is the only carrier that works in my house AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Please$ $help$!
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Exactly! I feel like I am being forced to rely on these devices. You might get a sense of the seriousness of the issue by my willingness to even try a Microsoft device, being a Mac user.

Then to further my dissappointment, I found out last week that their new PPCiTunes app to bring iTunes to PPC devices is only useable on a Windoze machine. I get slapped in the face no matter where I turn lately.
    Hey archie,

As a Mac junkie, I also am in the same boat as you. I'm looking quite seriously at the iMate PDA2K. I hadn't heard about a PPC version of iTunes. Wonder if it will work with Virtual PC.

I'm also on T-Mobile, so it seems I may be getting the short end there too regarding the Treo 650. Ugh.

We shall see.

- hoju
    techjunkie,

I think what you're referring to is the fact that, when Cingular began selling the Treo 600, it was not SIM-locked (unlike the AT&T version, which was). I'm guessing that because of that, people are assuming the 650 will also be unlocked.

However, as far as getting it for a subsidized price without being a customer, that's the first I've heard of it.

- hoju
    techjunkie that is highly unlikely. No phone company would give you a discount price on their phone then have u not use their services
    I'm very happy with my Palm on MacOS, however. Works great, Bluetooth and otherwise.
    Tell me...

are you happy knowing that other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you send and receive SMS messages through your phone using Address Book (and even breaking that 160 character limit by doing it through Address Book)... but not Palm.

And other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you dial a Bluetooth phone through the Mac OS X Address Book... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let Mac OS X use your Bluetooth phone to dial and send faxes... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone send caller ID info to the computer and display it on screen... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you answer, talk and listen to the Bluetooth phone via you computer... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you regain control of your computer when the screensaver kicks in using Salling Clicker... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers can pause iTunes using the Salling Clicker, or adjust the volume, or pause any DVD player, etc., etc., etc… when the phone rings... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers have proximity detection (and this leads to a whole other list)... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone perform event triggering... but not Palm.

This is to say nothing of Bluetooth 1.2. This is all possible with the ancient Bluetooth 1.1 standard.
    I should note that I do like my Treo over all, I suppose. I just feel jilted in so many ways by Palm and this is my biggest complaint.

Oh, and that list I just posted are all new complaints that you won't find in doing that search for "archie" and "bluetooth".
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    So now that is been confirmed that Sprint and A&TT will be the first ones to carry the treo 650 when will T-mobile announce its support for the treo 650?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    No one knows.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer

That wasn't much help. Any one else?
    There are several threads pertaining to your topic. So do not start another htread asking the same questions.
    Based on T-Mobiles previous track record they probably won't even acknowledge the existance of the 650 for another few months...
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I heard at a roadshow (off the record) that TMobile is going the Blackberry direction (signed an exclusive for the 7100t and paid a significant amount to do so) and it is up in the air whether they will even offer it at all. If they do, it will be well after the other vendors.

Also heard on news radio that sprint paid big $$ to buy ALL of the T650 production until the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by scmguru
    I heard at a roadshow (off the record) that TMobile is going the Blackberry direction (signed an exclusive for the 7100t and paid a significant amount to do so) and it is up in the air whether they will even offer it at all. If they do, it will be well after the other vendors.

Also heard on news radio that sprint paid big $$ to buy ALL of the T650 production until the end of the year.
    I could definitely believe the first part of yout statment about T-Mobile... Sounds about right.
    Last edited by Blackhawk5; 11/01/2004 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Correction
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    techjunkie that is highly unlikely. No phone company would give you a discount price on their phone then have u not use their services
    The reason why I am even bringing this up is because I feel like a bunch of people are planning to buy a phone from Cingular and then use it on T-Mobile.

Are these people just buying it from Cingular for a non-subsidized price? That's the only way that I can see how.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Wow, is everything Archie posted true? I have heard such great things about Palm. And, I usually hear that the Windows portables have lots of errors...I wish there were somewhere to get some cold, hard facts.

Either way, I'll probably have to leave T-Mobile if I'm going with the 650.
    usually people buy them from ebay, have a friend working at cingular or find some type o loop hole. Can't image any company giving u a phone on a discount
    Well, this is now way off the topic of this thread, but...

Tell me...

are you happy knowing that other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you send and receive SMS messages through your phone using Address Book (and even breaking that 160 character limit by doing it through Address Book)... but not Palm.

And other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you dial a Bluetooth phone through the Mac OS X Address Book... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let Mac OS X use your Bluetooth phone to dial and send faxes... but not Palm.
    I have a T3, not a Treo, so I haven't encountered these. I'd like to do the phone dialing thing, but otherwise these wouldn't bother me in their absence. My current Bluetooth phone doesn't do the faxing thing, either, I haven't missed it. But that's just me.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone send caller ID info to the computer and display it on screen... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you answer, talk and listen to the Bluetooth phone via you computer... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let you regain control of your computer when the screensaver kicks in using Salling Clicker... but not Palm.
    There are several phones that do not support this under MacOS. It's not just a Palm issue. But no, personally, I don't use these features. I find them cute, but not useful in my everyday work day.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers can pause iTunes using the Salling Clicker, or adjust the volume, or pause any DVD player, etc., etc., etc… when the phone rings... but not Palm.
    I can do this with my T3 on my Mac. Possibly a Treo problem, or a problem with your carrier disabling Bluetooth functions on the Treo?

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers have proximity detection (and this leads to a whole other list)... but not Palm.

Other Bluetooth phone manufacturers let the Bluetooth phone perform event triggering... but not Palm.
    Again, several phones lack support for this under MacOS. It's not just a Treo issue. But no, I don't miss these (my current BT phone doesn't do the latter either, I have used the former but could very easily live wthout it).

This is to say nothing of Bluetooth 1.2. This is all possible with the ancient Bluetooth 1.1 standard.
    The Bluetooth 1.2 spec wasn't officially released by the Bluetooth SIG until Nov 2003, so I don't see how the Treo 600 could have possibly included it. You could argue that the 650 should have it. Not sure why they kept with 1.1, but I just did a quick search through Bluetooth adapters, headsets, phones and PDAs that I know of, and all of them are Bluetooth 1.1 as well. Maybe palmOne isn't interested in leading the pack on this one (and I wouldn't blame them).
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Wow, is everything Archie posted true? I have heard such great things about Palm. And, I usually hear that the Windows portables have lots of errors...I wish there were somewhere to get some cold, hard facts.

Either way, I'll probably have to leave T-Mobile if I'm going with the 650.
    Some of them may be true, a few I can't reproduce on my Mac with a T3. As I said before, I use BT on my Palm with my Mac and I don't have any problems with it. But if you're interested in using some of the features mentioned in his post, you might want to check into it further.
    Well, this is now way off the topic of this thread, but...

Tell me...

I have a T3, not a Treo, so I haven't encountered these. I'd like to do the phone dialing thing, but otherwise these wouldn't bother me in their absence. My current Bluetooth phone doesn't do the faxing thing, either, I haven't missed it. But that's just me.
    Well; admittedly, only the last of the above is really a necessity for me because I do not have a land-line. The others are luxuries that sometimes FEEL like a necessity.

There are several phones that do not support this under MacOS. It's not just a Palm issue. But no, personally, I don't use these features. I find them cute, but not useful in my everyday work day.
    Next to the “several” that don’t, there are many that DO: from Sony Ericsson: T630, T637, T628, Z600, Z608, T610, T616, T618, T68, R520, T39, P800, P802, P900, P908, P910, K700 and Z1010. Nokia: 7650, 3650, 3660, 6600, 6620, 7610, N-Gage, N-Gage QD. Motorola: A920, A925, Sendo X, Siemens SX1…

I can do this with my T3 on my Mac. Possibly a Treo problem, or a problem with your carrier disabling Bluetooth functions on the Treo?
    No you can’t. Palm is the ONLY company that will not let this happen. Due to Palm’s single-task method of operation, running Bluetooth in the background is not allowed. Believe me, I’ve tried.

I am talking about the phone receiving a call, then in turn telling Bluetooth to do something, say... lower the volume on your stereo or pausing the DVD player.

Again, several phones lack support for this under MacOS. It's not just a Treo issue. But no, I don't miss these (my current BT phone doesn't do the latter either, I have used the former but could very easily live wthout it).
    No! Once again, Palm is the only company whose design does not allow for this.

The Bluetooth 1.2 spec wasn't officially released by the Bluetooth SIG until Nov 2003, so I don't see how the Treo 600 could have possibly included it. You could argue that the 650 should have it. Not sure why they kept with 1.1, but I just did a quick search through Bluetooth adapters, headsets, phones and PDAs that I know of, and all of them are Bluetooth 1.1 as well. Maybe palmOne isn't interested in leading the pack on this one (and I wouldn't blame them).
    Bluetooth 1.2 doesn’t have anything to do with the above capabilities. Yeah, I agree though, in that one year might be just outside of their development window, but I think mostly it is just an issue of choosing only to incorporate this stuff (hopefully) with Palm OS 6 to save on development costs.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast