Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    So is it worth getting a cingular unlocked phone? Or wait till P1 starts selling unlocked phones?
    no idea
    i like the idea of waiting for an unbranded treo 650
    Any phone I've ever gotten, the first thing I do is call CS and have them send me the unlock code. I tell them that I travel overseas and wish to be able to use it with the overseas GSM carrier's SIM card (which I do) and they have never given me grief over it.
    How is a phone unlocked, do you need hardware, software, what are the steps?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775
    Any phone I've ever gotten, the first thing I do is call CS and have them send me the unlock code. I tell them that I travel overseas and wish to be able to use it with the overseas GSM carrier's SIM card (which I do) and they have never given me grief over it.
    i don't like the idea of the software branding
    I think I would be sold on upgrading from my 600 to the 650 just to get the better browsing experience from the 3x network speed increase available through EDGE (although I can see that for Sprint or Verizon 600 users that benefit doesn't exist since the speed is probably comparable to the 600 they already own).

But the problem is, my provider is T-Mobile, and as far as I know there is no firm date on the rollout of EDGE in NYC. I'm now in a quandry - should I wait for EDGE before upgrading (there could even be a Treo 700 out by that time), or should I switch to Cingular and benefit from the ATT EDGE network once the merger goes through?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    How is a phone unlocked, do you need hardware, software, what are the steps?
    usually its a # of codes that you need to enter to the treo
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    From a Reuters report on Yahoo;
    <snip>
    Analysts say that PalmOne's existing agreements with carriers such as Sprint, AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (NYSE:AWE - news) and Deutsche Telekom's (DTEGn.DE) T-Mobile may help get the new devices to store shelves faster.
    </snip>
    Full story here http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ech_palmone_dc

Not sure exactly how accurate this is but it is the first time I have seen T-Mobile mentioned in conjunction with the T650. I called T-Mobile CS this morning and as usual they knew nothing. I requested that they register my desire that T-Mobile carry the T650. I highly recommend that everyone else do the same as customer demand is what will drive T-Mobile to carry it.
    On a whim, I typed "treo 650" into Amazon.com's search box, and it pointed me to a T-Mobile "value added reseller" called younevercall.com, which states they will get the 650 "soon."

Here are a few links re: Treo 650 on the younevercall.com site:
    http://younevercall.com/ (scroll down to bottom of page for mention of Treo 650)
    http://younevercall.com/treo_650.htm
    http://www.treoace.com/

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Some of you may remember weebit's "contact" at T-Mobile. He told me that there were no plans he knew of for T-Mobile to carry the Treo 650. I asked him why, and he said he didn't know, but perhaps T-Mobile was waiting for the next model to come out. I also asked him when T-Mobile was going to have Edge in NYC. He said "middle of 2005". I think I might have to switch to Cingular

I don't know whether I'm reading too much into this, but speculating wildly that could mean that T-Mobile is waiting for a Wifi version of the Treo to come out. This would make sense since T-Mobile's data strategy seems to be based more around Wifi hotspots than EDGE...
    I spoke with a T-Mobile employee at a T-Mobile store here in Las Vegas, NV yesterday. He said that T-Mobile was more than likely not going to carry the Treo 650 because the Treo 600 has been selling very poorly. He also pointed out that they were selling loads of the HP iPAQ h6315 compared to the Treo 600.
    I've said this before, many times, but it just doesn't look good for T-Mobile users wanting a Treo 650.

Do you expect T-Mobile to try and sell a product that obviously won't perform as nicely on their network as when purchased and used on AT&T with their EDGE network. All that would do is encourage switchers. From a business perspective, they are going to want to ignore this phone for as long as possible.

As a Mac user with T-Mobile, I am losing twice over. I also have Palms restricted Bluetooth capabilities on the Mac to be concerned about.

The Treo 650 is not looking very good at all from where I sit.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I also have Palms restricted Bluetooth capabilities on the Mac to be concerned about.
    I'm a Mac User who is/was going to get a Treo 650, either on a Sprint plan or GSM. I currently have T-Mobile and was going to just swap my card into a Cingular Treo650.

Now, what is the problem with Bluetooth, Palm and our beloved Mac?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    archie & MacUser,

I use PocketMac (www.pocketmac.net) and it really works well. My 2 cents....
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I'm a Mac User who is/was going to get a Treo 650, either on a Sprint plan or GSM. I currently have T-Mobile and was going to just swap my card into a Cingular Treo650.

Now, what is the problem with Bluetooth, Palm and our beloved Mac?

I'm also a Mac/Palm (T3) bluetooth user. I use bluetooth to sync with my palm through iSync, as well as drive presentations from my Palm using Salling Clicker, and a few other less-frequent uses.

I've never had any problems with Bluetooth usage between my Palm and Mac. I'm not sure what archie is talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    archie & MacUser,

This is for PocketPC devices, not PalmOS.
    I talked to a TMobile developer contact/technical support person and was told that they had no plans to carry the 650 which is disheartening. If I can get an unlocked phone to work on their network fine, otherwise I'll be moving to AT&T/Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    I talked to a TMobile developer contact/technical support person and was told that they had no plans to carry the 650 which is disheartening. If I can get an unlocked phone to work on their network fine, otherwise I'll be moving to AT&T/Cingular.
    There will be an unlocked version, but a release date is still unknown. eXpansys, for example, will be carrying the unlocked model (as they always do), and several people have confirmed with palmOne that they will be offering it directly as well. These will work on T-Mobile, but T-Mobile may not support them (e.g., if you have GPRS connectivity issues while traveling). If time is an issue (i.e., you don't want to wait a few months), you may be able to use the AT&T/Cingular model if it's unlocked, and you may also be able to unlock the AT&T/Cingular model yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I'm also a Mac/Palm (T3) bluetooth user. I use bluetooth to sync with my palm through iSync, as well as drive presentations from my Palm using Salling Clicker, and a few other less-frequent uses.

I've never had any problems with Bluetooth usage between my Palm and Mac. I'm not sure what archie is talking about.
    I can't possibly bring myself to rehash the issue of crappy Mac support Palm is pulling. Just search for archie and Bluetooth from July to now.

My complaints actually go further back but July is a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    archie & MacUser,

This is for PocketPC devices, not PalmOS.
    Exactly! I feel like I am being forced to rely on these devices. You might get a sense of the seriousness of the issue by my willingness to even try a Microsoft device, being a Mac user.

Then to further my dissappointment, I found out last week that their new PPCiTunes app to bring iTunes to PPC devices is only useable on a Windoze machine. I get slapped in the face no matter where I turn lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Exactly! I feel like I am being forced to rely on these devices. You might get a sense of the seriousness of the issue by my willingness to even try a Microsoft device, being a Mac user.

Then to further my dissappointment, I found out last week that their new PPCiTunes app to bring iTunes to PPC devices is only useable on a Windoze machine. I get slapped in the face no matter where I turn lately.
    It sounds like you should end your personal frustration and switch to a PocketPC device with Windows.

I'm very happy with my Palm on MacOS, however. Works great, Bluetooth and otherwise.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast