1.    #1  
    Is there a GPS chip in the new Treo 650?
    It supports GPSOne, which is an implementation of location-based services used for E911. The idea is that, in case of emergency, they will know where you are, even if you don't know or are unable to say.

The carriers all plan to offer other location-based services, so you could call them to find out what the closest pizza place is, or things like that.

The problem is that the "smarts" of this technology is at the carrier, and not on the phone. It isn't possible to get mapping software, for example, to work on your Treo using it's built in hardware. It may be possible in the future, though, to subscribe to a service from your carrier that would act as a navigation system. I seem to recall Nextel may already have something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    It supports GPSOne...The problem is that the "smarts" of this technology is at the carrier, and not on the phone.
    Druce, what does that mean? Does that mean that the phone doesn't know where it is and the carrier is using something like triangulation of of multiple towers, or does it mean that the phone knows where it is but the maps and information resides with the carrier?
    The phone doesn't know where it is without serious interaction with the carrier's GPSOne/E911 system. I also don't what the process is for the carrier to report back to the phone what it's location is.
    Quote Originally Posted by WFTarHeel
    Druce, what does that mean? Does that mean that the phone doesn't know where it is and the carrier is using something like triangulation of of multiple towers, or does it mean that the phone knows where it is but the maps and information resides with the carrier?
    Having a GPS chip allows the phone to know the coordinates of its location, but as far as I know the software on the phone does not have access to this information. I know even the Treo 300 has a GPS chip in it, but its all for E911 and mapping software can not take advantage of it. See this old thread about this
    My understanding, muddy as it may be is this.
    The phone has a chip that can only see one or two of the satellites instead of the 4 required to get your location accurately.
    Why you need the cell companies help is they further nail down your location using cell towers and between the satellites and the cell towers the cell company is able to fairly accurately triangulate your position.
    Thanks for the responses. Interesting information...
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    My understanding, muddy as it may be is this.
    The phone has a chip that can only see one or two of the satellites instead of the 4 required to get your location accurately.
    Why you need the cell companies help is they further nail down your location using cell towers and between the satellites and the cell towers the cell company is able to fairly accurately triangulate your position.
    I don't believe that the Treo has any GPS satellite receivers. The location, for E911, is generated by triangulating between cell towers while measuring signal strength.

Dunc
    Dunc, GPS is used in the GPSOne implmentation, however, it only needs one satellite + a location server.

Here is a quick rundown: http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=125
    But that still doesn't mean that the Treo is GPS enabled. Nor does it mean that it ie E911 capable, as it was released prior to that mandate. I have two other Sprint phones on my account that are both Qualcomm based phones which are supposedly GPS enabled. There is a menu item for location services (on both) - but it has always said, "check back soon for exciting new location based services". I would think that Sprint would have had something similar in one of the Treo menus had the phone been so equipped.

Dunc
    I think Nextel already has something working because AVIS let's you rent a nextel phone that also acts as a GPS device when you're driving.
    All of the new Nextel phones are GPS enabled. It's wonderful, they offer resource location tracking. IT managers can keep track of their assets (phones), you can even watch employees who might be goofing off. But, they're not using GPSOne. The Nextel phones track many satellites.

Dunc