Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so we all know that GSM radios cause interferece with speakers, inclduing those in autos

With the current hardwire car kit, the antena is sufficiently distance from the speakers to reduce interference and the popping sounds.

With a bluetooth car kit, is the speaker popping going to be an issue since the phone's antena will act as the primary signal transmitter/receiver rather than the externally mounted version in a hardwired car kit

anybody with expereince with BT car kits that can speak to this?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    As a piggyback question to 100th's good question, does anyone yet know if any companies are in place to provide a powered vehicle mounting solution for the 650? I emailed Seidio a few days ago to ask them about it, but I haven't gotten any response yet.

Mike
    I'd like to know as well. I'd hope that PalmOne has something ready for release.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I have a BT implementation built into my 2004 Acura TL and the GSM phones I've used don't interfere with the speakers. I keep the phone in the cup holder, so it's not really close to the speakers anyway.

Joe
    I also have an 04 TL and i havn't experienced any of this either. I've used a blackberry 7100t, a moto V600, and a moto mpx220 in my car.
    Bump
    This is the topic that originally peaked my interests in the Treo 600 forums. I found TreoCentral on a Google search for a car kit -- THB Treo Integrated Car Kit. Thanks for bringing this up 100thMonkey.

Buzz and hum in speakers has a lot to do with how the speakers and wires are shielded. As you stated proximity of the antenna to speakers in the car proper is a factor. Proximity of your vehicle to a cell tower emitting an analog signal over an radio (analog) frequency. Also, frequency has a lot to do with buzz and hum. The Hum and buzz you hear is the speaker acting as an antenna and amplifying the distortion it picks as speakers are powered by the radio.

Given that explaination. Your modern home computer probably has speakers attached to it. More than likely, the speaker wires attached to your home computer are unshielded. This is true for me. I have a bluetooth T3 Palm which I am able to sync via BlueTooth with no problems or distortion in my speakers. Secondly, I have a Bluetooth Access Point for my T3 in the bedroom above my garage. Sometimes I check my email before I walk in the house to avoid the wife complaining about me getting on the computer. If I sitting in my car, Bluetooth doe not interfere with my car speakers. Hope that's helpful.

Strongly recommend you visit http://www.expansys-usa.com/other.asp?cat=CARKI
    They have all the Bluetooth car kits. I really like the one from Siemens.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    Okay, so we all know that GSM radios cause interferece with speakers, inclduing those in autos

With the current hardwire car kit, the antena is sufficiently distance from the speakers to reduce interference and the popping sounds.

With a bluetooth car kit, is the speaker popping going to be an issue since the phone's antena will act as the primary signal transmitter/receiver rather than the externally mounted version in a hardwired car kit

anybody with expereince with BT car kits that can speak to this?
    Connect yuor GSM phone to an externally mounted car antenna and the interference problem is solved. The car kit is optimal, but there are other methods for connecting an antenna.
    Mark Bergman
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman
    Connect yuor GSM phone to an externally mounted car antenna and the interference problem is solved
    yes, that is what it sounds like from people here since I know that my auto's speaker wires aren't shielded since I have heard the distortion.

@specimen, I'm not concerned about BT causing distortion, I'm worried about the GSM radio on the phone

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Buzz and hum in speakers has a lot to do with how the speakers and wires are shielded.
    Interesting whenever my phone rang in my old car this always happened, in my new car it doesn't at all, so maybe your right? funny thing it wasn't until I read this thread that I even thought about the lack of buzz from the phone!
  11.    #11  
    Any chance that the carkits come with shielding for speaker wires?

Well, not really. Both of our cars have Bluetooth handsfree which we've used with multiple BT GSM phones without any interferance whatsoever. Both our Treos however seem to bleed RFI everwhere they are. Whether it's next to a PC, or somewhere in the front of the car, or even near my clock radio on the nightstand, this device causes major amounts of interferance. How this device ever passed Agency Testing for Class B RF interferance is a miracle.
  13.    #13  
    So your other GSM handsets didn't cause interference with the clock radio?

So your other GSM handsets didn't cause interference with the clock radio?
    No!!! It got so bad that I have to charge the Treo at the other end of the bedroom. The RFI drove my wife nuts.
  15.    #15  
    you must have some well shielded equipment

Not really...the Treo leaks RF like a sieve...
  17.    #17  
    I dunno, I have Nokias, Ericssons and others and they all cause interference from my observation

100thMonkey,

Have you seen the [Nokia 610] Car Kit http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,48031,00.html ?
  19.    #19  
    Its GREAT, but there are two issues. One is that the Treo 650 Bluetooth stack WON'T support the Sim Access Profile or Remote SIM profile (they are the same thing). There are only a few Nokia handsets that FULLY support the capacities of that car kit or its successor, the 616.

2nd issue is that it supports 900/1800, so no go for North America

I was thinking quad band on the Treo 650 crossed over either 900 or 1800. The Bluetooth stack thing....well I was completely off on that. I was thinking BT profile 1.2 incorporated the European SIM stuff.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast