Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No!

I am calling this an educated guess because most Car Kits Phone systems will mute music playback on incoming calls. This purely speculative with the Treo 650, but I am imagining - as in the case of the Treo 600. The drivers for the MP3 player that direct audio to the car speakers are not drivers for Palm OS telephone which permit the phone to be used as a handheld or speaker phone. When the phone rings, the Palm OS drivers interrupt the MP3 application drivers, so you can choose how your call is answered.

What is more likely is a new Palm OS driver/or 3rd party developer creating a driver that gives you 3 choices for audio on incoming/outgoing calls: 1) driver providing handset use, 2) driver for speaker phone and, 3) driver for audio output via bluetooth or plug. There was a thread about a voice dialing application that will probably incorporate drivers of this sort:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=Voice+Dial

Quote Originally Posted by treo007
    Forgive me if this is slightly off topic, but being as we're talking about BT car kits for use with the 650, I need some clarification from those in the know.

I currently have a Sony Ericsson BT Handsfree setup in my Audi A4 that I used to use with a Sony Ericsson T610. Obviously the Treo 600 I'm now using makes the BT Handsfree useless (yes I know I could potentially pair it with one of the BT for 'non-BT phone' setups out there, but please read on...).

One of the ways I use the T600 in the car is listening to MP3s via a cassette adapter for the stereo. So my question is this:

If I'm using a Treo 650, paired and making/answering calls with the BT Handsfree, can I still route the MP3 audio out the headset jack via a cassette adapter? Will the phone/OS get confused, not knowing the headset jack is in use for music output and mistakenly route call audio to the car stereo speakers instead of the BT Handsfree? Thanks.
    Which car kit is easiest to install and remove? I'll be leasing a MB E320 4Matic (alas, without Bluetooth). I wouldn't want to return a car with holes in the dash upon termination of the lease.
    Nokia 616 is in deed quite advanced. With the SIM Access Profile mode, it can do a lot more than the regular kits. It can even read your SMS messages!

Nice find. Hope it will be available in the US (the FAQ says it won't be).
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Which car kit is easiest to install and remove? I'll be leasing a MB E320 4Matic (alas, without Bluetooth). I wouldn't want to return a car with holes in the dash upon termination of the lease.
    Hey Neill,

All types listed here. Also, note Mercedes has a nice hardwired system.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/other.asp?cat=CARKI

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...odelCode=S430V

see > Features & Specs > Features Spotlight > Handsfree Communication System
    As far as I can tell, the Mercedes integration is not via Bluetooth, so it's dependent on their included Motorola. In spite of how wonderful as it looks, I'd still want to integrate my Treo contacts with the inboard system. Were there a way of synching the Motorola and Treo, I might even spring for the dedicated phone for the Mercedes.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by ypshan
    Nokia 616 is in deed quite advanced. With the SIM Access Profile mode, it can do a lot more than the regular kits. It can even read your SMS messages!

Nice find. Hope it will be available in the US (the FAQ says it won't be).
    Note that the handset must support SAP bluetooth, which T650 does not. The 616 can work in the USA BUT only with the Handsfree profile, instead of SIM Access Profile and WITHOUT the external aerial, because it only works for GSM 900/1800
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    As far as I can tell, the Mercedes integration is not via Bluetooth, so it's dependent on their included Motorola. In spite of how wonderful as it looks, I'd still want to integrate my Treo contacts with the inboard system. Were there a way of synching the Motorola and Treo, I might even spring for the dedicated phone for the Mercedes.
    No, the Motorola is a self-contained solution with no synching ability with Palm Treo 650. However, it's a must have because it integrates navigation, mutes speakers on incoming/outgoing calls, caller ID, answerhang up button in steering column, (2) one in dash near speedometer and second in center center console. Very valuable feature for multi-tasking. None of the other integrated solution mention this. However, I bet the Audi incorporates it.

Finally, Bluetooth for the car is great, but it has ONE short coming. Keeping the phone charged. As a veteran of handfree car usage, I need a cradle for those long discussions. ALSO REMEMBER, BLUETOOTH IS GOING DRAIN MORE POWER IF YOU PAIR IT WITH YOUR AUTO FOR IN-DRIVE SPEAKER PHONE. How do I know? I have a T3 and a Bluetooth Access point. I get about 30 good minutes of browing and email before I get the warning.
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/16/2004 at 10:58 AM.
    I have read that the Treo 650 is not inherently compatible with the TL, but does it work with the bluetooth module in the X5? The X supports the hands-free profile, but a lot of the bluetooth phones do not work. I'm keeping my figures crossed. Any local dealers done any compatibility tests?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeeooo
    I have read that the Treo 650 is not inherently compatible with the TL, but does it work with the bluetooth module in the X5? The X supports the hands-free profile, but a lot of the bluetooth phones do not work. I'm keeping my figures crossed. Any local dealers done any compatibility tests?

I was on a BMW lot in September and they had not implemented the Bluetooth compatibility that they advertise. They sales guy told me that Bluetooth had become standard on the car, but that 04 was the first year. He never said anything about the X5, but the 540i and other 5 series sedans had a Bluetooth antenna bulit into item. However, Bluetooth feature was turned off. BMW needed to retrofit the cars for via ROM upgrade. I asked him when did he think that would happen and he said before December. So, I am curious - let me know about the X5 and Bluetooth.
    So has anyone else paired their 650 with the Jeep/Chrysler U Connect Bluetooth system ? Incoming calls are fine but, phone pairs ok but when I try to dial out the connection to the phone comes and goes every 5-10 secs and if it is gone when U Connect sends the information a loud squeal comes out of the speakers similar to a modem sound. If it is disconnected at the time it will just say that the phone is not available. If I dial a # from the phone however, the U Connect will pick it up fine and take over the call.

It seems the connection between the two devices is not stable even though the phone will say it is connected.

I have tried toggling discovery off/on, disabling the name cache- any other tips ?
    Thanks
    G.
    Interesting. Someone is going to have to write a driver and an application to go between the UConnect and the Treo 650. Pairing is only networking. The Bluetooth Handfree Profile is a protocol of sort, but not an application. Bluetooth with headphones is one type of pairing that is simple because the headphones don't have any complicate I/O. The headphones simply repeat and amplify the signal it receives from the 650.

It's clear from what you have said that UConnect can pair and repeat on incoming phone calls, which is similar to the headphones. But when it comes to dial out, the UConnect system returns something similar to an error message "the phone is not available." It kind of like your computer and printer. Only in this case the printer send an error messge stating a connection could not be made. Sorry I dont have any expertise to offer.

I sure would like to hear from some other UConnect/Treo 650 testers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman1000
    So has anyone else paired their 650 with the Jeep/Chrysler U Connect Bluetooth system ? Incoming calls are fine but, phone pairs ok but when I try to dial out the connection to the phone comes and goes every 5-10 secs and if it is gone when U Connect sends the information a loud squeal comes out of the speakers similar to a modem sound. If it is disconnected at the time it will just say that the phone is not available. If I dial a # from the phone however, the U Connect will pick it up fine and take over the call.

It seems the connection between the two devices is not stable even though the phone will say it is connected.

I have tried toggling discovery off/on, disabling the name cache- any other tips ?
    Thanks
    G.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123