Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Hello

I've been a Tungsten user since the first Tungsten T. Presently I own a TT3.

I have two questions for you experienced Treo users:

Internal memory:
    How do you utilize the small amount of internal memory on your Treo. On my Tungstens I have removed the extra languages and uneeded flash software using JackSprat from Brayder to get approx 10MB of extra internal flash memory. This flash memory can be utilized using JackFlash.
    Brayser states tha the Brayder application will never support the Treo series.

Here is the answer from Brayder:
    Our Development Team has indicated that we will not be supporting either of the Treo 600 or 650 devices.
    How can you free up and utilized free flash on a Treo? Is there an app which supports the Treo version of the PalmOS?

Sound quality
    How will sound quality compare to the sound quality on the Tungsten series? Has anyone compared?

Of cause I know that the 650 is not yet released, but some of you in this forum has one available already.
    Any thoughts?

318 Posts
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Noone? Really?

I'm planning to buy a Treo650, but have to have an answer to the above queations to make my decision...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Well, in terms of memory, 32MB (23MB user) has been enough for me, with 6MB to spare. That being said, I went from a Tungsten T to Treo 600, not T3. My girlfriend however has a Zire 72 and that 23MB user memory is more than plenty, she still has 13MB to spare (major apps installed in Docs To Go Prem 6, Bejeweled, Pocket Tunes, and mmPlayer). Just install what you really use frequently onto handheld memory and put other rarely to sometimes used apps onto your SD card... usually I put all games except Bejeweled onto my SD card... then all productivity software goes on handheld memory. 32MB is not all that bad, 64MB would be better, definitely, but eh.

Oh yea that's 6MB free with 3MB of web browser cache full, so really I have 6-9MB free.

Remember, you are sacrificing a few PDA things just to get the convenience of a smartphone factor. If the PDA power is really important to you, just stick with T3 + bluetooth phone, or, unfortunately, go PPC and those brick handhelds... because if you buy a Treo, you get a phone with PDA functions that is probably 75% as effective as a standalone PDA.. if you buy a Mobile PPC with it's PDA form factor, you get a PDA with phone functions that are probably 75% as effective as a standalone phone. Which do you prefer?

One thing I should add is that, Treo 650 will have a way better battery life than your Tungsten T3, well at least on my Treo 600 I can listen to MP3s for 18 hours per charge, and even if it's halved in the 650, I still get 9 hours, 4 more than the Tungsten T3. And if that 9 hours isn't enough, just remove the battery and put another fully charged battery in (the Treo 650 cradle will come with a slot for charging a second battery I believe) for another 9 hours of MP3 playing time. And that play time is usually representative of how many hours you would get with screen turned on all the time doing word processing. That's one area where the Treo 650 wins for me.

Donald
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Thank for your answer Donald.

Most of the time I don't have to prioritize on my TT3, but I realize that this wouldn't really be so much of a problem.
    One problem I have had although is that the Docs to go app wouldn't work properly until I removed the faulty D2G apps in flash. In my opinion this would be a major drawback if you are unable to remove such apps from the Treo's flash memory.

But would ie FlashPro work on Treo?

Regarding sound quality I am of the opinion that the TT and the TT3 is much the same. How do your 600 compare to your TT? Are the sound good and loud enough?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    [QUOTE=Donald Nguyen]Well, in terms of memory, 32MB (23MB user) has been enough for me, with 6MB to spare. That being said, I went from a Tungsten T to Treo 600, not T3. My girlfriend however has a Zire 72 and that 23MB user memory is more than plenty, she still has 13MB to spare (major apps installed in Docs To Go Prem 6, Bejeweled, Pocket Tunes, and mmPlayer). Just install what you really use frequently onto handheld memory and put other rarely to sometimes used apps onto your SD card... usually I put all games except Bejeweled onto my SD card... then all productivity software goes on handheld memory. 32MB is not all that bad, 64MB would be better, definitely, but eh.

Oh yea that's 6MB free with 3MB of web browser cache full, so really I have 6-9MB free. ...............
    How do you have so much space left on the t600? Maybe this needs to be on another thread.. but currently I have these apps on my TT3 and I don't know how I will fit everything on the T650...

I know all my games will go to the SD card .. but games like WordWiggle which houses a huge complied word list. I can't see.

Does anyone know if theres apps can be launched from a SD card?

PowerOne Calculator
    MM Player
    BackupMan
    PocketTunes
    spell5
    reminder
    FileZ
    FileProg
    My Checkbook
    Check Money
    Agendus
    holidays

and lots of Doc to Go files.
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Thank for your answer Donald.

Most of the time I don't have to prioritize on my TT3, but I realize that this wouldn't really be so much of a problem.
    One problem I have had although is that the Docs to go app wouldn't work properly until I removed the faulty D2G apps in flash. In my opinion this would be a major drawback if you are unable to remove such apps from the Treo's flash memory.
    Not necessarily; if you install a later version of DtG in RAM, it will over-ride the ROM version.

But would ie FlashPro work on Treo?
    Nope, FlashPro hasn't been updated since OS4; if JackFlash doesn't do it, there is no alternative.

Regarding sound quality I am of the opinion that the TT and the TT3 is much the same. How do your 600 compare to your TT? Are the sound good and loud enough?
    The TT3 is significantly louder than the TT, quality comparable to the Treo600, which can also play pretty loud. Both are about as good quality as you'll get on a device which doesn't play MP3s as its main function.
    I consider myself a pretty hardcore user of my treo... and I have 7 megs free. The SD card is your friend.

I'd love 64, but I find ways to not even fill 32.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    Not necessarily; if you install a later version of DtG in RAM, it will over-ride the ROM version.

Actually D2G didn't work 100% on my TT3 even if I installed later versions in RAM, only after I removed the faulty D2Gapps in flash...
    In this particular case - "Sheet to go".

Maybe this differs from the EFIGS version to the "English one"?
    Last edited by jorang; 11/02/2004 at 08:26 AM.
    JoranG
    I may be wrong, but I think for the TT3 there was no English-only release, just the BEFIGS. I'm a bit surprised the ROM version of DtG gave you problems, I thought the only issue was the global find crash which got resolved with the RAM over-ride; though I too JackSpratted the original into oblivion long ago.