Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This concerns the coupon....

To get the coupon, you have to register and then attend the show. Now my question is, when you attend, what sort of identification does the show require? I.e., do you just go up and say, my name is "John Smith" with email john.smith@whatever.com?

The reason I'm asking is because I cannot show up to any of the roadshows. But if someone else that was going to a roadshow already, well he could go up and say, my name is "John Smith" and get a coupon, walk a hundred feet away, take off his nametag, come back and say, may name is "real name" and get two coupons.

I'd gladly pay someone some cash to do this....my reason is, I'm a Verizon customer and as I understand it, I can get a phone from the roadshow (which will be unlocked) and take it to Verizon to get it activated. Otherwise, I won't be able to get a phone for awhile (whenever VZW carries it). And I have another year on my contract so I won't be switching carriers.
    And I don't want to pay full price for a phone ($600) and then switch it over.

So....
    1) For someone that has attended, is this all that is required?
    2) For someone about to attend, would you want to do this? It could help you pay for your trip!

Thanks!
    It's my understanding that CDMA phones are not "locked" or "unlocked". I think that you're thinking of GSM. A Sprint phone simply won't work on Verizon's network (unless you're roaming).
    Last edited by satyric; 11/01/2004 at 09:20 AM.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Well, CDMA phones are locked, not in the same sense as GSM though. You can "port" a Sprint phone to work on Verizon's network and vice versa. The main concern is if it will support your phone's ESN number.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    This concerns the coupon....

To get the coupon, you have to register and then attend the show. Now my question is, when you attend, what sort of identification does the show require? I.e., do you just go up and say, my name is "John Smith" with email john.smith@whatever.com?

The reason I'm asking is because I cannot show up to any of the roadshows. But if someone else that was going to a roadshow already, well he could go up and say, my name is "John Smith" and get a coupon, walk a hundred feet away, take off his nametag, come back and say, may name is "real name" and get two coupons.

So....
    1) For someone that has attended, is this all that is required?
    2) For someone about to attend, would you want to do this? It could help you pay for your trip!

Thanks!
    The problem I forsee, is although I expected the roadshow to be huge, in Long Beach, last week, There were only about, maybe 60 people, if that. One person checking in, collecting surveys, and handing out coupons. Were are not talking convention hall here, small banquet room. Maybe NY will be different.
  5.    #5  
    Although the roadshow may not be very populated, the person would get his coupon at the least so, no dmg-no foul. But he could get a second (my coupon) which I'd gladly give some cash to help pay for his trouble.

And I just got an email from VZW asking if a Sprint 650 could be used on their network and this is the response I got...

"We can activate your existing handset provided it is compatible with our CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) digital network.
    Although a wireless phone may be compatible with our network, we cannot guarantee the equipment's performance nor can we honor the manufacturer's warranty on wireless phones not purchased through Verizon Wireless or its authorized agents."
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Were are not talking convention hall here, small banquet room. Maybe NY will be different.
    LOL, I'm expecting a lil more for the Ritz Carlton Show in DC. Even if the Show itself is lacking, being at the Ritz should be nice.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I'm with GeekyMom. 15 days and counting!
    so, do you have to show ID or not? I have a friend over in Dallas who I might try to send to the roadshow for me, and just use my name/email address and get the coupon for me. Will this work or do they have to show ID?
    Grow up, be a man, and try not to lie cheat and steal because you're too cheap to pay for the toy you want.
    [QUOTE=RicoM]Although the roadshow may not be very populated, the person would get his coupon at the least so, no dmg-no foul. But he could get a second (my coupon) which I'd gladly give some cash to help pay for his trouble.
    QUOTE]

You could steal a thousand coupons, and it wouldn't make a difference. It takes a coupon code, and they are all the same, many of which have been posted on this site. Be sure to get extra candy bars too, they make them really good at the Ritz Carlton.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    You could steal a thousand coupons, and it wouldn't make a difference. It takes a coupon code, and they are all the same, many of which have been posted on this site. Be sure to get extra candy bars too, they make them really good at the Ritz Carlton.
    You lost me....if all the coupon codes are the same, then nobody would have to go to anymore of the conferences to get the discount. Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Grow up, be a man, and try not to lie cheat and steal because you're too cheap to pay for the toy you want.

Really, some of you guys are taking this a little too far. Is it really worth someone catching you?
    Not to be the little perfect guy here...but this is the reason so many companies quit doing offers like this. They ask for you to attend one of their sales meetings, they are really paying you to come, so you will buy their product hopefully. If you do not attend but still get the discount, they are losing monies on their advertising end of their company. If my company was being taken advantage of like some are trying to take advantage of this, I would pull the offer immediately and figure out another way to get them out to the public.

It may stink that you can not atend one of these functions, but that is just unfortuante for you. I live in Tulsa, OK. There is not a single roadshow stop in the state. I have to drive multiple hours to go to any show that is a technical minded shows. If you can't drive then maybe you should write Palmone and see if they would be willing to work with you. If not, then you as a consumer can choose to business with them or not. Just don't backdoor the company and make everyone else suffer if they decide to pull the offer.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by keithmeyer
    Really, some of you guys are taking this a little too far. Is it really worth someone catching you?
    And do what...put me in timeout? Or you might say, "take away you're coupon". Well do you think they'd risk a scene for something like that. I don't. I think you're a bit too worried. And saving half price, no I don't think I'm going too far to look at different possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    They ask for you to attend one of their sales meetings, they are really paying you to come, so you will buy their product hopefully.
    There is no hopefully about this...If I get the coupon, I am 100% definately buying the product... If not, I'll probably miss the xmas season and not buy it at all. It's not worth it to pay full price and hope I can get it to work with VZW.
    Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    They ask for you to attend one of their sales meetings, they are really paying you to come, so you will buy their product hopefully.
    There is no hopefully about this...If I get the coupon, I am 100% definately buying the product... If not, I'll probably miss the xmas season and not buy it at all. It's not worth it to pay full price and hope I can get it to work with VZW.
    Notice I said they are PAYING you to come. They are paying you by offering you $300 off your purchase of the phone. If you do not attend, your are stealing that $300 worth of advertising.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    You have to provide them with the email you used for your online registration when you attend the workshop. I believe the email addresses have to match, or you can NOT redeem the coupon. That's how it was explained to me.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo650luvr
    Notice I said they are PAYING you to come. They are paying you by offering you $300 off your purchase of the phone. If you do not attend, your are stealing that $300 worth of advertising.
    So do you think they'd be happier if I show'd up and not bought the treo or not showed up and bought the treo? The point of advertising is to get people to buy their products....not to just inform them of the product.

If I don't attend, I don't consider it stealing $300, I'm just skipping to the closing...the purchase of the equipment. But that's my opinion...and you know what people say about opinions....
    I think they would be happier if you bought their product of course. But the idea of the roadshow is for companies, with multiple employees, to see these in action with hopes of selling them. They're hoping that by offering the CTO or CEO of a company the chance to get one at a discount, that perosn will use them and want to buy more for the company. Thus, they don't mind losing $300 on the first purchase.

You want one for YOU and only YOU. I promise you if you are a CTO or CEO of a corporation, one little email to them would get you the discount. I would call/write them and ask for consideration. If they choose to offer you the discount that is great. If not, that was their choice. Atleast this way you wold not put other comapnies in jeopardy of getting the offer withdrawn.

RicoM, I am sure your a great guy just trying to save a few bucks. I feel they should offer customers like yourself a discount. Maybe a "buy it in the first week" discount. But since they don't, don't be the bad apple in the bunch that ruins it for company owners like myself.

~Stephen Todd
    where do you get the coupon? i registered, got my confirmation, but am not seeing a coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by grilla
    where do you get the coupon? i registered, got my confirmation, but am not seeing a coupon.
    Read the dozen or so threads on this topic before asking such a question. Let me guess -- you haven't been to the Roadshow yet -- right??

Come on people!

The process is about as simple as it could be, yet the same questions are asked over, and over, and over again.

Amazing. Think a little. Just a little. It really helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast