Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't understand how every else pays for their plans. Are most of you plans paid by your companies? I get 3000 min a mon th for $49.99 and unlimited data for $19.99 total $69.99.

ATT had insane data plans and no one else offers any mins.

What is going on?

I though about switching to cingular or ATT. but, yikes you guys get poked hard.

I have had Nextel and Verizon. Very good service HIGH prices on every service and not many mins. Seems Sprint is the same way. Seems ATT and Cingular are even quality wise with TMobile. But, i get so much more for my money.

I'd love to hear how you guys do i and some of your plans.
    ^^i thought we are supposed to talk about treo 650 over here?
    and ATT has EDGE....that's their edge....and remember, att&cingular is one now...cingular has assimilated attws into their collective
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I must admit, I am rather fond of that 3000 minute plan that T-Mobile offers. If I understand it correctly though, my boss cannot go anywhere, he can only do this from his home calling area. I think that he only plays 39.99 a month, so maybe it is a regional plan. I pay $100.75 a month for Sprint. $15 data, $5 roaming, $5 7-7, and $65 voice. I only have 1100 anytime minutes. I use about 1300 a month. I would like extra SMS added to my account. I usually dont go over the 100 that they alot, I would just use it more liberally if I had more. The main problem I have is that, I always go over 500 minutes and usually go over the next one up, 700 minutes, by a small margin. I end up with a few hundred left over everymonth.
    I get 5000 minutes a month on TMo for $99.99, a plan price they no longer offer (I'm grandfathered which is great), and it'll be hard to ever walk away from such a plan...

TM
    I pay $65.00/mo. for 800 anytime min., unlimited SMS, unlimited data, and unlimited night mins. starting @7pm with Sprint.
    Last edited by Godstyle; 11/01/2004 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarification
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    They may have the best plans, but they also have the least coverage. That's why their plans are so cheap, they need to pull in people that don't care, or don't know, about their coverage. Sprint is the same, they network is small to they offer other incentives. Cingular and Verizon have huge networks, so they don't have to offer as many incentives, even though Cingular still does offer some good stuff. Nextel is in a different ballpark. They cost more and have a small network, but they have a lot of business friendly services.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    They may have the best plans, but they also have the least coverage. That's why their plans are so cheap, they need to pull in people that don't care, or don't know, about their coverage. Sprint is the same, they network is small to they offer other incentives. Cingular and Verizon have huge networks, so they don't have to offer as many incentives, even though Cingular still does offer some good stuff. Nextel is in a different ballpark. They cost more and have a small network, but they have a lot of business friendly services.

Joe
    I would respectfully disagree with you. I have the 99.99 grandfathered 5000min plan, with unlimited internet and Hotspots access for 19.99, and I travel extensively in the US and in Western Europe. US coverage is very good, and rarely am without service, the same a ATT and Verizon ( tried both for several years) Sevice is always evolving as new equipment is installed, new roaming agreements signed, and takeovers. Trying plans every year or so if you are not satified is worth the experience to compare them.
    300 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekends starting at 7PM ending at 7AM Unlimited Data for $47 including tax from Sprint
    Not the greatest plan but not expensive like you make it out to be.
    Cingular here. I have 1000 Rollover Nation $39 plue $19 unlimited data, 1500 sms, 200 MMS. Not the best bargain but I need the coverage. Sprint has always been cheap here in So CAL but not a bargain given their coverage and terrible Shortmail service.

I depend on SMS, I liked T-Mobile but Cingular SMS is not limited to 160 chaaracters incoming as is T-Mobile and some others. I know it sounds dumb but in my business I have contact with many Deaf who use text pagers, Sidekicks, BB.. and they are not used to typing under 160 so it works better for me. When I was with Sprint they acted like SHortmail was a luxury and if it worked great, if it didn't it would in 2 or 3 days. T-mobile I liked cuz you can use aliases instead of phone number for sms, but they truncate sms after 160-emailaddress length. Maybe when Blackberry client becomes active with 650, it won't be an issue anymore.
  10.    #10  
    cingular seems ok. I can live with the SMS thing though. but Sprint still is not cheap. who stays under 800 min a month? Ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I don't understand how every else pays for their plans. Are most of you plans paid by your companies? I get 3000 min a mon th for $49.99 and unlimited data for $19.99 total $69.99.

ATT had insane data plans and no one else offers any mins.

What is going on?

I though about switching to cingular or ATT. but, yikes you guys get poked hard.

I have had Nextel and Verizon. Very good service HIGH prices on every service and not many mins. Seems Sprint is the same way. Seems ATT and Cingular are even quality wise with TMobile. But, i get so much more for my money.

I'd love to hear how you guys do i and some of your plans.

I have three Treos on my plan; Unlimited Vision. Shares 3500 minutes.
    ~120 a month, which includes taxes (which are about $15. So it's really like $105.) Can't beat it.
    cingular seems ok. I can live with the SMS thing though. but Sprint still is not cheap. who stays under 800 min a month? Ouch
    Contrary to popular belief, there are people out there who do have lives and don't have cellphones attached to their faces.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    I am with Sprint as well. I pay $90 a month (BEFORE 15% discount) for 2000 AT minutes, unlimited NW starting at 7PM, unlimited vision and PCS to PCS minutes, and unlimited SMS. All this for two lines of service ...I can't find anything out there that's better.

Is the plan that you have with Tmobile nationwide, Smileyboy? It does sound like a decent plan, I just can't get the same coverage where I live with Tmobile that I can with Sprint. Heck, I've seen people who live here (not representative of other locations I'm sure) get better coverage with their Cricket service than Tmobile.

It all depends on what folks need as to the service provider they choose. Every provider has their strong points, or they simply wouldn't survive.
    I use maybe 100 minutes a month on busy months.
    I figured I'd see a conversation like this over at howardforums or something. Oh well. Tmobile customer here since 1999 (back when it was omnipoint). Yes cheap per minute, but coverage is spotty when compared to other carriers.

Bottom line: Try a service out within the grace period you are given to get out of the contract. If you don't like it, pay for the service you used and GET OUT.

EDIT: Since everyone was volunteering, I will too:
    $39.99 / Month For:
    600 Anytime Minutes North East Neighboorhood (Maine down to DC to PA local area)
    500 Nationwide No Long distance / No roaming Weekend Minutes
    1000 additional Local region weekend minutes
    First incoming Minute for free
    50 Included SMS messages free
    Unlimited Conditional Call Forwarding free
    500 Unconditional Call Forwarding Minutes
    T-Zones Pro Grandfathered for 9.99/month gets me:
    - Tzones customized data page
    - unlimited data transfer via GPRS
    - 100 MMS Messages
    - 300 SMS messages
    - Corporate Email access
    - Usually unrestricted port access to internet (spotty sometimes since technically its not included) this means http/https
    I decided to pay 6.99/month extra to get nationwide no long distance / no roaming since my plan and Tzones are both grandfathered and would lose them if I switch to a nationwide new plan.

Best add-on I've seen Tmobile Give was the 9.99 Buddytime package which was unlimited SMS messaging as well as unlimited Mobile to Mobile.

Best plan I've seen them give was earlier this year: Preferred Get More Plan for $39.99 / month:
    1000 Nationwide Minutes, No long distance, no roaming
    Free Nights (starting at 9pm)
    Free Weekends.
    Last edited by blacknoi; 11/01/2004 at 01:32 PM.
    I have the very generic plan on T-Mo of 600 anytime minutes/month with unlimited nights/weekends. I've added on the $9.99 for unlimited SMS and $4.99 for unlimited T-Zones and it all works very well for me. The only thing blocked out from time to time are some of the ports that shoutcast uses...not a huge problem though. It turns out to be about $50.00 a month for me or so, as I have a corporate volume discount for working at Starbucks (partnered with T-Mo). =)

Cheers,
    Brady
    t-mobile user here
    39.99 plan+10 buddytime
    1000 anytime minutes
    unlimited night & weekend
    unlimited mobile to mobile
    unlimited sms
    unlimited GPRS
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I pay about $100, all taxes, and bs included, for 2000 anytime, nationwide minutes with unlimited data through Sprint shared between two phones, and unlimited PCS to PCS. I may have to start shopping around again though as I only came close to using 2000 once and it has been about a year since price compared and no one could touch this deal. I think I would stay with Sprint though since I have always gotten great service from them.
    The only problem with most of the postings about charges/features is that there is no mention of contracts. So far when I shop around for phones, all I can find are plans with contracts and included phones.

My plan:

T-mobile (no contract)
    $39.99
    1000 Anytime minutes
    40 cents/minute over that
    50 incoming SMS
    $19.99
    Unlimited GPRS Internet

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treorunner
    I would respectfully disagree with you. I have the 99.99 grandfathered 5000min plan, with unlimited internet and Hotspots access for 19.99, and I travel extensively in the US and in Western Europe. US coverage is very good, and rarely am without service, the same a ATT and Verizon ( tried both for several years) Sevice is always evolving as new equipment is installed, new roaming agreements signed, and takeovers. Trying plans every year or so if you are not satified is worth the experience to compare them.
    That's fine if you disagree, but you can't argue with coverage maps. Cingular's is just plain bigger. T-Mobile won't work, for example, on a lot of Route 80 in Central PA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast