Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Good catch Turbo!!! I just love updated software. Thanks for sharing.
    I appreciate it too. I have installed it and sent my PayPal contribution. I am spreading the word and the code to my "beam network" of DA fans.
    Sorry I've been AWOL on this for so long. I just don't generally do much "hobby programming" until it gets cool weather out, so now I hope to do some more fixes and updates. Some things I know of on the table are:

- Allow a (configurable) way for user to interrupt multipage results.
    - Make Canadian provinces available for Residential.
    - Reverse lookups.
    - Allow user some configurability for Map & Directions URLs.
    - And I'm sure now that I've posted this message, you guys will add about a million more items to this list

But I have some questions about things you mentioned here.

- "fix bugs". Yeah I know there have been some irritating ones. Other than the ones I fixed in this week's update, what are the outstanding ones causing the most trouble?

- "update the YP connection". What is this?

- "newer MapQuest". I'm ignorant here. Can you enlighten me, provide a URL?

- "or even Yahoo map database". Is this a new PDA friendly one? URL?

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    Directory Assistant could be such a homerun. I wish the developer would fix the bugs, update the YP connection, update to the newer MapQuest or even Yahoo map database, make it 5-way compatible and generally clean it up a bit. There is money to be made here for an app that delivers on what this app intended to deliver. Do any of you more tech-saavy or developer-oriented folks believe it is worth it to either work cooperatively with the existing developer of DA or re-create this app from scratch? My use of this app is mostly business in nature and I'd certainly pay for a stable app like this. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt
    Sorry I've been AWOL on this for so long. I just don't generally do much "hobby programming" until it gets cool weather out, so now I hope to do some more fixes and updates. Some things I know of on the table are:

- Allow a (configurable) way for user to interrupt multipage results.
    - Make Canadian provinces available for Residential.
    - Reverse lookups.
    - Allow user some configurability for Map & Directions URLs.
    - And I'm sure now that I've posted this message, you guys will add about a million more items to this list

But I have some questions about things you mentioned here.

- "fix bugs". Yeah I know there have been some irritating ones. Other than the ones I fixed in this week's update, what are the outstanding ones causing the most trouble?

- "update the YP connection". What is this?

- "newer MapQuest". I'm ignorant here. Can you enlighten me, provide a URL?

- "or even Yahoo map database". Is this a new PDA friendly one? URL?
    Hi Rick - thanks for your reply and for designing a great app. I wasn't intending on making my earlier message a bug-report so forgive me for being vague. I also wasn't intending on coming across unappreciative because in fact I am appreciative and apologize if you took my message negatively.

The fix you've done for 3.01 has fixed the error messages I've been getting. So that seems done. Thank you. Maybe others have done more testing and have more technical know-how than I and have similar or different feedback.

The updates I was referring to suggests using a more updated source for your info such as the driving directions portion of the app. For example, I have noticed that the driving directions were old, out of date, unclear, and many times wrong for many runs I've made. I suspect it is because the version of mapquest being used is old (as indicated in the footer copyright years). I've compared the driving directions produced via the Mapquest connection from DA and from the regular Mapquest website along with Yahoo maps and the results are consistently different with the older version being the problem. For example, perhaps http://www.mapquest.com/pda/directions.adp would be a better link for more updated info on directions or maps at http://www.mapquest.com/pda/maps.adp. I hope this is more useful info for you.
    Cool! 3.01 works with zip code searches again. What search engine is DA using?
    mobile.yp.com

Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Cool! 3.01 works with zip code searches again. What search engine is DA using?
    That's interesting, I didn't know there were different sites than what I'm using, which is currently wireless.mapquest.com/Palm/v3.0

I'll have a look at changing this, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    For example, perhaps http://www.mapquest.com/pda/directions.adp would be a better link for more updated info on directions or maps at http://www.mapquest.com/pda/maps.adp. I hope this is more useful info for you.
    I just tried DA and my initial impression that besides e-mail, this is the number 1 application for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiledog
    I just tried DA and my initial impression that besides e-mail, this is the number 1 application for me!
    to the growing list of DA users. Without DA, a smartphone isn't very smart. Thanks Rick.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Rick, I appreciate the work you have put into this already. One request I have is to plug into the "Include Surrounding Area" option for Yellow Page searches?

That would be very helpful to me. Living in Queens, there are many businesses that appear to be in one municipality, but are actually in an adjacent area. I don't always know exactly what city I'm in over here since they all run together.

Please consider that...thanks!
  10.    #50  
    Thanks for the update, Rick! I share this app with every new Treo user I meet. It's the best!
    Thanks!
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Reverse phone and address would be the CAT'S MEOW. I already thing this is the greatest program for the Treo 600, but that would make it even better.

Couple bugs
    1. when I click the icon it resets my treo, this just started happening.
    2. the numbers it has are only dialing the last 4 digits, this just started happening.
    3. I dont think it copies addresses the same for all instances, sometime it formats things differently, maybe not your fault though.

Also it seems to support the 5-way just fine.
    You need to completely uninstall it (using the app launcher delete, not Filez, etc) and get 3.01. that should straighten out the things you mentioned, at least the truncated phone numbers. YP.com just slightly changed their results format.

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Reverse phone and address would be the CAT'S MEOW. I already thing this is the greatest program for the Treo 600, but that would make it even better.

Couple bugs
    1. when I click the icon it resets my treo, this just started happening.
    2. the numbers it has are only dialing the last 4 digits, this just started happening.
    3. I dont think it copies addresses the same for all instances, sometime it formats things differently, maybe not your fault though.

Also it seems to support the 5-way just fine.
    That's one of the items on my "to-do" list. Problem is going to be that "surrounding area" looks to cover quite a large area and there will no doubt often be lots of results. But the option is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Rick, I appreciate the work you have put into this already. One request I have is to plug into the "Include Surrounding Area" option for Yellow Page searches?

That would be very helpful to me. Living in Queens, there are many businesses that appear to be in one municipality, but are actually in an adjacent area. I don't always know exactly what city I'm in over here since they all run together.

Please consider that...thanks!
    I get the error
    "error getting data:0" what do i do about that? how should i fix it?
    thanks
    Anyone who wants to try a test version that SHOULD enable 5-way nav on the Treo 650, can get it here:

http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/Beta/DA.prc
    5 way works like a champ on my 650 now. thanks for the update!!!
    yep.
    Phenominal program, when I go to get a map for a result I get the error message: "Browser Not Found: Selected web browser is not installed on this device!"
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    I got the same error until I set my pref's to Treo Web from Blazer. Now it works.
    yep.
    You'll need to select Treo Web as your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by bobva6
    Phenominal program, when I go to get a map for a result I get the error message: "Browser Not Found: Selected web browser is not installed on this device!"
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast