Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scrinch
    Google/SMS doesn't seem to work for most users (at least the ones who post in the Google/SMS forum) on Sprint PCS. Have any Sprint users here been able to use Google/SMS successfully?
    Yes it does work for me, but not reliably (75%).
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Directory Assistant could be such a homerun. I wish the developer would fix the bugs, update the YP connection, update to the newer MapQuest or even Yahoo map database, make it 5-way compatible and generally clean it up a bit. There is money to be made here for an app that delivers on what this app intended to deliver. Do any of you more tech-saavy or developer-oriented folks believe it is worth it to either work cooperatively with the existing developer of DA or re-create this app from scratch? My use of this app is mostly business in nature and I'd certainly pay for a stable app like this. What do you think?
    google sms does not work on Sprint relibly, 75% is about right. Sometimes I do not get any results back, sometimes results come 10 or more hours later. Is there a way to determine if the problem is with Sprint or google? When it's not working, I can usually successfully send and receive a sms addressed to myself, so it's hard to put the blame on Sprint entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    whmurray, is the MTA site "better" than the Métro app <http://nanika.net/Metro>?
    Different applications. Metro tells you how to get around; it says what lines to use, and even how to find them, but not when the trains run. The MTA Schedule web site tells you the schedule. Metro is an application and a database that one installs; The MTA Schdule is a web page that one can use to form a query against a database service.

Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    Also, what's the link to the MTA; is it WAP-friendly?
    http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/schedules.htm

This page offers the option of the lines that one would like to see the schdule. Once one gets to the line, one should save the query page.

It is not particularly Palm friendly but it does work.
    I tried Google SMS twice with no success.

BTW I just e-mailed Rick and advised him of the problems some of us are having and gave him the link to this thread. Hopefully he'll get back to us.

LOL
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Odd, both DA and Google SMS have worked for me at pretty much all times here in the SF bay area w/Sprint. I wonder if it has to do with network issues in different parts of the country.
    Neither work for me with Sprint in the North Bay.
    Tested DA this afternoon and it worked. Oh, well. Ben
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I tried DA, which used to work fine for me, and it crashed my 600. Now it resets whenever and as soon as I select it. I, too, am on Sprint. What changed?
    Sprint T600 here. I was using ver 3 b6 for maybe six months now. Only residential searches worked (thought it was YP screwing up). I've been a DA user since my T300, so I was pretty bumbed. After reading this thread yesterday, I installed ver 3 b7. Now both business and residential searches work!!! Gotta love this forum.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    Sprint T600 here. I was using ver 3 b6 for maybe six months now. Only residential searches worked (thought it was YP screwing up). I've been a DA user since my T300, so I was pretty bumbed. After reading this thread yesterday, I installed ver 3 b7. Now both business and residential searches work!!! Gotta love this forum.
    I just reinstalled b7 and all is working for me now too. Maybe its just me, but the program did seem to take longer to return information. I guess it could just be the network in my area right now.
    I finally received the info I requested from Google SMS 24 hrs. ago.
    Still no luck w/DA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    A GREAT option, allthough not free (at all) Handmark Exspress... I love it.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Works fine on my T600 using Cingular.
    Got return SMS's from Google/SMS 28 hours later. Told me that I should try "A&A Transmission" for a local pizza dinner. Glad I didn't wait before choosing where to go out!
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I deleted DA and reinstalled it. It works, but if it comes up with the "Parsing Data" message, it does a soft reset. After that, if I select the DA icon, it resets. Then I have to delete it and reinstall it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924
    I deleted DA and reinstalled it. It works, but if it comes up with the "Parsing Data" message, it does a soft reset. After that, if I select the DA icon, it resets. Then I have to delete it and reinstall it again.
    So there is a condition that it is not handling properly. When it encounters that condition, it trashes itself good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924
    Happens to me too. But easy enough to delete and reinstall from SD card. I'll take what I can get from this awesome app. It seems the 'parsing data/reset' occurs when I get an alert while DA is doing a search. The database somehow gets corrupted and DA unfortunately does not have a separate DB file, so info is saved in the app itself. Otherwise, I could just delete the DB file. Oh well, at least I have a work around. This program is indispensable for me. Just wish rlwhitt can fix it.

edit: oops. DA does have a separate DB file (two actually). Good! Now we'll see if just deleting the DBs when getting the 'Parsing Data' crash will fix it.
    Last edited by ChemEngr; 11/05/2004 at 11:40 AM.
    Rick has updated the app. Here's the info and link:
    Directory Assistant 3.01 update link below:

http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da

*** Added code to catch inadvertently entered carriage returns in query
    text fields. These would not show up in the field, thus confusing users
    into thinking all was well, when in fact these queries always produced the
    dreaded "Error 0" message.

I now believe this is the cause of most people's need to delete the app and
    re-install it once these errors began appearing.

The fix I put in is to replace the offending carriage return with a space,
    refresh the field (now the duplicate data will be obvious) and show an
    error alert that the field must be edited.

*** Due to another recent formatting change in results from yp.com,
    business phone was not being read correctly and thus chopped short on the
    end.

*** Resets/Errors occurring during Parse step for multi-page queries.
    Good catch Turbo!!! I just love updated software. Thanks for sharing.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast