Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just spoke to 3 of the largest Palmone dealers/distributors in Hong Kong today and they confirm that the Unlocked GSM version will be released within weeks here followed by Singapore, Thailand and the rest of Asia.
    Quote Originally Posted by bongmaster
    Just spoke to 3 of the largest Palmone dealers/distributors in Hong Kong today and they confirm that the Unlocked GSM version will be released within weeks here followed by Singapore, Thailand and the rest of Asia.
    This is good news. But will the unlocked "international" GSM version be marketed in the USA. How much pressure is Cingular and TMobile placing on PalmOne to prevent that.

I personally do not want to by a cobranded device and be forced into a contract...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    This is good news. But will the unlocked "international" GSM version be marketed in the USA. How much pressure is Cingular and TMobile placing on PalmOne to prevent that.

I personally do not want to by a cobranded device and be forced into a contract...
    The versions sold in HK are usually unlocked and standalone. You do not need to sign any contracts.
    The versions sold in HK are usually unlocked and standalone. You do not need to sign any contracts.
    Agreed.

The problem is finding, at a reasonable price, the international version in the US.

PalmOne offered it as an option when the did the customer loyalty Treo 270/180 to Treo 600 upgrades for TMobile customers last year. There was an option between the TMobile branded and the international unlocked versions.

Other than this offer, I have not seen many Treo 600s in the US market sold without branding or phone service.
    Wow, that's really wonderful. Just hope the price won't be too high. It will be a good choice if the price is around HKD4,000. If so, I will be happy to sell my TT3.
  6.    #6  
    Nomad
    I would thing the price would be around HKD5,800. This is what the Treo 600 sold for. However under 4K would be nice
    hi bongmaster - what do they say about 3rd party wifi support?
    The versions sold in HK are usually unlocked and standalone
    I think that it is against the law to SIM lock in HK
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I think that it is against the law to SIM lock in HK
    and against the law to sim lock phones in singapore as well *remembered the locked nokia 8110 fiasco, one of the operator there being fined sg$81,000*
    Ouch!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Nomad
    I would thing the price would be around HKD5,800. This is what the Treo 600 sold for. However under 4K would be nice
    When you say unlocked GSM version can I use it here with vodafone GSM network in New Zealand?

Wow... HKD 5,800 for a treo 650... Here in New Zealand treo 600 still goes for NZD 1,199 (HKD 6400). Anyway I can get my hands on a new treo 650 for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    When you say unlocked GSM version can I use it here with vodafone GSM network in New Zealand?

Wow... HKD 5,800 for a treo 650... Here in New Zealand treo 600 still goes for NZD 1,199 (HKD 6400). Anyway I can get my hands on a new treo 650 for that price?

yup, unlocked means you can use it with any GSM network
    beauty of GSM allright
    You can buy the Treo 600 unlocked and unbranded, direct from Palm here in the USA:

http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...egoryId=230011

I'm pretty sure they will do the same thing with the Treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    You can buy the Treo 600 unlocked and unbranded, direct from Palm here in the USA:

http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...egoryId=230011

I'm pretty sure they will do the same thing with the Treo 650.
    We hope this is true, but we do not know this. I have only seen mention of Sprint, ATT, and Cingular as carriers for the Treo 650. Sprint has an exclusive deal for the rest of the year. No mention of Verizon or TMobile. Non-US carriers have not been announced.

Since each smartphone requires investment in tech support by the carriers, it may be months before PalmOne releases unbranded 650s.

Two weeks ago I activated a new number with Cingular. I had a problem with the phone app crashing in my unbranded, unlocked, generic 600 and Cingular Tech support initially would not talk to me because I had a different phone listed on the account.

While my experience was not indicative of all Cingular Tech Support, it does suggest that early distribution of the 650 is most likely with branded phones so the carriers that will support them have an opportunity to have sales, not just support costs.
    I think we in Australia will probably get it last....remember how slow the Treo 600s were released here. But Singapore is just 5 hours away So anyone can recommend a good place in Singapore to buy a Treo650 when I go there in December/January?
    hey bongmaster,

I just got off the phone with the supplier of Palm products in Hong Kong. They told me that they don't currently have information on the Treo 650, and that it would be available in late December at the earliest.

How would HK have the Treo 650 when the GSM version isn't expected to get released until next year?

Just don't want to see rumors flying around.
    Quote Originally Posted by gelco
    I think we in Australia will probably get it last....remember how slow the Treo 600s were released here. But Singapore is just 5 hours away So anyone can recommend a good place in Singapore to buy a Treo650 when I go there in December/January?

you can try Parisilk @ holland village
    can't remember others
    will update later
    Called several shops around Kuala Lumpur today. They're all telling me the T650 (GSM) will only be available early next year.
    Banoo... what's that smell?
    Quote Originally Posted by gelco
    Here in New Zealand it takes even longer... Treo 600 was released just five months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    Here in New Zealand it takes even longer... Treo 600 was released just five months ago.
    Here in Turkey it takes even longer... Treo 600 was released just in September 2004.

I'll have to travel to purchase new Treo 650...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast