Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PalmOne is playing games with us. First, PalmOne says they won't support a Wi-Fi SD card:

This is taken from Michael Ducker, Marcus Adolfsson story "Treo 650 Announced" published on treocentral front page on Mon Oct 25, 2004 - 1:10 AM EDT

Regarding Wi-Fi: There is no out of the box Wi-Fi card at launch says Greg Shirai. PalmOne has no plan to support a Wi-Fi card on the Treo 650. Shirai noted that it is a lot more complicated than updating the Zire 72's driver software, as the radios interfere with each other.

Then, they say they will eventually do. And now they are silent about the whole Wi-Fi issue. I don't get it. Is that how PalmOne wants us to buy a Treo, by creating confusion and playing tricks? We need a formal public announcement stating that they WILL support the Palm SD Wi-Fi Card and that they ARE working on a driver, which WILL be release to the public ASAP. Don't you agree? After all they did say that they will support it:

This is taken from Michael Ducker story "Direct from palmOne" published on treocentral front page on Tue Oct 26, 2004 - 4:43 PM EDT

"When pushed for information about adding Wi-Fi later, he added "We do have a wife card that will work in the SD slot, but we do not have the drivers yet." Colligan continued to say that palmOne will be working on creating the necessary drivers.

He replied that it was a matter of resources, and yes palmOne will be indeed working on Wi-Fi for the Treo 650. Colligan seemed serious about this, even in spite of the challenges that were demonstrated by Shirai. It will only be a matter of time before something happens.
    "

However, I don't remember seen anything official about it. Come on PalmOne put your act together.

Al
    Give up the ghost man.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHandlessKing
    Give up the ghost man.
    Dude, I'm not giving up on this one. I've been using WiFi for over 2 years now and have the hardware at home, work plus Free Hotspot every where. I don't think it is fair for anybody to go back to no WiFi when we are heading 2005. For Christ sake PalmOne ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?

Al
    Even though I have been and currently am a very happy customer of Sprint for 5 years....I really would not be surprised if Sprint and some other carriers leaned on P1 to NOT include Wifi so we would have to use Edge and EVDO instead.

IMHO, I think the carriers are going to fight as long as customers will let them to keep Wifi out of standard phone in as many models as possible.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    They will hold out till next Nov. so you will have a reason to buy the Tre700. And by then EVDO II will be out and there will be no need for WIFI at all.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    They will hold out till next Nov. so you will have a reason to buy the Tre700. And by then EVDO II will be out and there will be no need for WIFI at all.
    With your help probably YES, but with the help of all positive WIFI users we can make it happen.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    For Christ sake PalmOne ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?
    Seriously. I can see the blood vessle about to pop on your forehead from all the way here.

If you need WiFi, don't a Treo 650.

I have a feeling you don't have a good grip on what's important in life and what isn't.

TheHandlessKing
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    regarding the carriers, it was mentioned at the roadshow that t-mobile has begging palmone for wifi.
    If you need WiFi, don't a Treo 650.

TheHandlessKing
    Good advice! This is exactly what I did, I bought somthing else.
  10.    #10  
    Having no WiFi in a handheld is like buying a TV without a remote control. You may get by without it but you would expected from a new TV Al
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Good advice! This is exactly what I did, I bought somthing else.
    Good. That's great.
    Give up the ghost man.
    Good advice.

I gurantee this will NOT happen. And it is NOT because of pressure from the carriers!
    Am I the only one who thinks that having Wi-fi in a smartphone that already has 3g internet access is redundant? I struggle to understand why people are so indignant about the lack of wi-fi in an already internet-enabled device.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    Am I the only one who thinks that having Wi-fi in a smartphone that already has 3g internet access is redundant? I struggle to understand why people are so indignant about the lack of wi-fi in an already internet-enabled device.
    People like to spend money.
    stop!!!
    I agree with Acajigas p1 need to make official statment about wifi, the longer it will take more unlikely treo 650 ever see wifi :-{
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    I'd like to have the option to go wi-fi if I'm inside a building that is without reception but has wi-fi. Plus wireless internet is still slow as heck as of now. Hopping onto a hot spot or any wi-fi signal whenever available is key, and not too hard to make available by P1.

Plus I don't buy the theory that Sprint is holding out on wi-fi because they want you to use their internet service, since most internet plans are unlimited (or are heading that way) and making it a must to log on to their service will only bog down the entire system, so why not have the w-fi option available?
    Not to forget...

PalmSource HAD to "release" the Cobalt OS last year by December 31st because their CEO said they would do so "before the end of the year".

Sometimes CEOs get into a marketing mood without their braincells taking part.

When one PalmOne guy says "Nah" and the CEO says "Fer sure!", then everything goes quiet, you might want to think "Hmmmm....deja vu...".

[and, IMHO, anyone jumping for whatever WiFi-ANYTHING PLMO releases for the TREO 650 is nuttier than the guy who "bought" a TREO 650 off of EBAY already - no kidding]
    tks acajigas to picking up on the subject - and handless king stop proving you're clueless. arrogancy has no place in this forum. acajigas is right, thats all.

people not caring about wi-fi are the ones not leaving their homes, not travelling internationally, perhaps even non-american.

there is another world out there P1. if you dont get that, you dont get their money.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    All,

If HP and PDA2K can make both radios work (Albeit with some hitches.) why can't P1? Palm's been around for far longer than either Windows product.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast