Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Everything discussed in this thread can be done with Bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    I do this all of the time...

...with my laptop.

I would shoot myself if I had to do it with my T600. (or 650 for that point)
    Interesting, I hate doing it with my laptop. It's just too big and clumsy for me to feel comfortable. Using something the size of the Treo is a better form factor. Yeah, I'd be trading screen size for comfort, but that's the kind of thing I'd be willing to do, especially if it's just a few stats or something. Also with the Treo you get instant on, while my laptop takes a few minutes to boot up. making it a decent consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyazz
    Everything discussed in this thread can be done with Bluetooth.
    I could not find a bluetooth hotspot in Aruba. However I did find plenty of wifi spots. Also I don't have a bluetooth hotspots at my office and can't convince them to install them just for me. Bluetooth is a kludge for when wifi was meant to do exactly the stuff in this thread.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    A bluetooth connection to the internet? I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    A bluetooth connection to the internet? I don't get it.
    I think he means a bluetooth connection to another computer which will give you the Internet connection. It's not going to work at a Starbucks, but it will work (in theory, I haven't tried it) if you set up a bluetooth network instead of a wifi one. Of course then you need to leave a computer on or something like that. Perhaps they make BT routers that I'm not aware of.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    This whole Wi-Fi thing is overblown.

The whole point of the Treo having GPRS/EDGE/1xRTT is that as long as you're on the phone network, you're always at a hotspot. If paired with your laptop using Bluetooth, your Treo is your hotspot and your hotspot is literally wherever you are.

Wireless data on phone networks goes more places than there are Wi-Fi hotspots. Unless you spend your waking hours in Starbucks, spend your day tied to an airport lounge, spend your day sitting at home, or are war-driving around your neighborhood, you are almost always better served by the wireless data options provided by your wireless carrier. More importantly, if you're a mobile professional, the PDA is NOT the right platform to be using to best take advantage of Wi-Fi. Even the current cream-of-the-crop HP Wi-Fi device can't hold a candle to a laptop.

What qualifies me to make such claims? Staying connected is part of my daily routine:

I currently travel daily between NYC and Philadelphia. My day starts at 5:25am. I spent 20 min in the morning on my laptop connected to the net via Wi-Fi to get my daily dose of news. I sync my Palm Tungsten T3. From there, head off to the subway. On the subway, I am reading/replying to emails on my Blackberry. 12 min later, I am at Penn Station, where I wait for my train.

Once on the train, I can get online using my Tungsten T3 or laptop bluetoothed to my Motorola V600. I can start online the second I get on the train, and have continuous uninterrupted data flow with the exception of the Hudson River tunnel. 1.5 hrs of commute time, devoid of Wi-Fi and yet I am productive. Emails continue flowing to my Blackberry.

Once I get off the train at Philadelphia, I walk to work. The flow of email never stops during this walk, and I have been known to respond to emails on my Blackberry while walking to work.

Inside the office, I am either at my desk or in meetings. IT has not approved Wi-Fi, so at the desk, I am connected by Ethernet to the DS3. Email continues to be pushed to the Blackberry. At meetings, fact-checking via the Blackberry or my PDA/phone is done as needed.

Come to the end of the day, I walk back to 30th St Station. If the train is late (and it always is), I have an option of the expensive AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot in 30th St Station, or I can use my wireless data connection from T-Mobile. Guess what I pick.

I continue on the train, 1.5-2.0 hrs back home, connected via the PDA or laptop using GPRS. Off the train, and back onto the subway where I'm reading/replying to emails via the Blackberry.

It's not until I'm home again that I have a trusted Wi-Fi hotspot I can use. Meanwhile, I use between 250-300mb a month of data on GPRS.

My hope with the Treo 650 is to replace the phone, the PDA and the Blackberry, or at the very least replace the phone and the PDA. Wi-Fi to me is a casual convenience, but not something I can rely on. I live in a city full of Wi-Fi, and yet it holds such little attraction to me... why worry about where the hotspot is when it's always where I am?

Wi-Fi has its place. In vertical enterprise markets it can be invaluable. Likewise, it can be a convenience for the home. There can be a compelling case made for those who spend their time at airport hubs when they're not connected to a fixed broadband connection. However I maintain that Wi-Fi is not the true answer to the mobile professional, until they start mounting Wi-Fi antennas every 1000 feet in every single location you go.

If you can't afford it, then I would have to say you need to carefully consider your wireless data needs and usage patterns. At this point, most carriers have plans that reach every level of use. Everyone thinks they need unlimited wireless, but not everyone needs it in practice.
    Funny noone gives a sh** about Vo-IP. It would be cool to have Vo-Ip over Wi-Fi....can save a lot of cash...yes, the Americans would argue that they have 1000s of free minutes on Sprint, AT&T etc...but people outside the US can use Vo-IP to call people in the US for next to nothing....
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I could not find a bluetooth hotspot in Aruba. However I did find plenty of wifi spots...
    But were you able to make a voice call on your phone?
    Last edited by sir_mycroft; 11/01/2004 at 04:58 PM.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by vish0402
    Funny noone gives a sh** about Vo-IP
    Many many people, including ALL the big carriers, very much give a sh** about VOIP.

It is hot right now BIG TIME.

AT&T, for example, offers their "CallVantage" service.

Many long-distance carriers ALREADY carry voice using VOIP; many more will soon.

It's here; it's coming.

[ob-disclosure: I am way long SONS (as an investment, not a trade)]
    Treo 650 + EDGE seems to be an alternative to Wifi, as long as the data plan is priced right. If EDGE is readily available, I don't really care about having wifi or not.

For now, AT&T seems to be the only EDGE provider, and I don't want to go with them (horrible customer service, locked phone, expensive...)
    Yawn.

I was using and selling WLAN in 1999 before there was WiFi and all that was widespread back then was 1Mbps HomeRF. I've steadily upgraded here and there and now run 802.11g at home. We've come a long way in 4 short years. The stuff has its place for sure and is useful, but is not an end unto itself. WiFi would be very nice, don't get me wrong, but no one device can be all things to all people. I'll happily buy a GSM Treo 650 without WiFi, mainly because *I* don't need it in my smartphone. $69.95 a month for 3,000 minutes and unlimited GPRS data is plenty.

It's amusing that a bunch of geeks get hysterical over the WiFi issue and presume to tell PalmOne how to run their business better.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Well, I know of only ONE geek who got hysterical over the WiFi issue, and that's acajigas. Personally, I am interested in a single device that can be all things to ME. Built-in WiFi is a nice-to-have, and the fact that I can obtain it in a PDA2K leads me to take a closer look at this non-Palm device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    This whole Wi-Fi thing is overblown.

The whole point of the Treo having GPRS/EDGE/1xRTT is that as long as you're on the phone network, you're always at a hotspot. If paired with your laptop using Bluetooth, your Treo is your hotspot and your hotspot is literally wherever you are.
    But this is the point I was making earlier a couple posts back......if you are out of coverage and in Roam....you loose ALL DATA TRANSFER options through your cell phone carrier!

I agree, I would not use Wifi in coverage areas very much....unless I was at home or in Roam, which I seem to be in both a fair amount of time. . Again, Wifi is not a deal killer if it supports an addon.

I think the bottom line is to give the customer every opportunity to get connectivity in ANY given situation he/she is in. If research shows that Wifi would NOT be supported by a majority of the customers, then at least make it an available addon to those who do want it or, more importantly, to those who NEED it.

It is supply and demand....depending on the demand, then supply Wifi in the phone or as an addon....but fact is, as this thread proves, there is a demand and there should be a supply to meet the demands of those customers.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    But this is the point I was making earlier a couple posts back......if you are out of coverage and in Roam....you loose ALL DATA TRANSFER options through your cell phone carrier!
    You are correct there... however, "roam" has become more and more of a relic as wireless carrier build-out continues. That build-out is certainly faster than Wi-Fi hotspots!
    It is supply and demand....depending on the demand, then supply Wifi in the phone or as an addon....but fact is, as this thread proves, there is a demand and there should be a supply to meet the demands of those customers.
    Message board metrics are overrated too. Even if every single active member of TreoCentral wanted Wi-Fi, I'm pretty sure they would not account for a significant fraction of total Treo sales. Happens on all forums... the dissatisfied minority makes the most noise. They kick and scream until they're blue in the face. They start online petitions. They rarely ever get anywhere.

I do believe PalmOne will issue Wi-Fi SD card drivers... I think integrated Wi-Fi is still a generation or two away.
    Can we start a single thread for people who wanna continue to whine about WiFi? I am getting so tired of reading this...it's not in...it sucks...but life goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    But were you able to make a voice call on your phone?
    Having Sprint CDMA, I didn't even try while in Aruba. If I did it would have cost three arms and 18 legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by vish0402
    Funny noone gives a sh** about Vo-IP. It would be cool to have Vo-Ip over Wi-Fi....can save a lot of cash...yes, the Americans would argue that they have 1000s of free minutes on Sprint, AT&T etc...but people outside the US can use Vo-IP to call people in the US for next to nothing....
    I care a lot about voip, but if people are going to taunt me for wanting to stream music, I can't imagine what they'd do if I said that I wanted wifi on my phone so that I make phone calls without using the built-in phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zehubert
    Treo 650 + EDGE seems to be an alternative to Wifi, as long as the data plan is priced right. If EDGE is readily available, I don't really care about having wifi or not.
    EDGE is no faster than CDMA according to threads in this forum. That being the case it's still going to take 10 minutes to navigate 4 or 5 CNN.com pages - not an alternative to wifi speeds.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    To say that people who think Wi-fi is unnecessary in a smartphone "don't know there is a world outside the US", is utterly absurd. How did we go from having a debate over Wi-fi to calling Americans ignorant? I'm not getting this angle
    Because whenever this is brought up we get half the anti-wifi replies saying that Sprint has unlimited GPRS so wifi is a waste of time, even when people explain that they are not in the US or are Americans but travel in Europe and elsewhere a lot, the reply is still "You don't need it use GPRS its cheap and unlimited on vision plans". So either they are "ignorant Americans" or they can't read?

And I agree with bmacfarland post below if WiFi is so unwanted, why are all the PPC manufacturers building it in to their PDAs??? You think they like increasing their production costs for the fun of it....

And I know a few retailers here that sell the Sandisk wifi cards and they do sell VERY well, despite only the tiny minority (according to anti wifi people here) who want wifi LOL. Although that will obviously drop as more PPC makers build wifi into their units, as most new models have now.

I do believe PalmOne will issue Wi-Fi SD card drivers... I think integrated Wi-Fi is still a generation or two away.
    LOL yep a few generations away for Palm and already old news for their competition.
    Last edited by joele; 11/01/2004 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    You are correct there... however, "roam" has become more and more of a relic as wireless carrier build-out continues. That build-out is certainly faster than Wi-Fi hotspots!

Message board metrics are overrated too. Even if every single active member of TreoCentral wanted Wi-Fi, I'm pretty sure they would not account for a significant fraction of total Treo sales. Happens on all forums... the dissatisfied minority makes the most noise. They kick and scream until they're blue in the face. They start online petitions. They rarely ever get anywhere.

I think wifi hotspots are building out faster at least in my area. In my home, I can connect to two hotspots other than my own. And while cellular is fine, it doesn't address the issue of speed, which is the real reason why wifi is key.

As for a vocal minority, I don't know if that's exactly true. There has to be a reason why there are a rush of announced phones with wifi (built-in no less). It's not like manufactures are just putting wifi in their phones because it's fun to do, it's because there market research tells them that this is in demand.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast