Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    Wi-fi is unnecessary in the Treo. It's as simple as that. With even higher speed data networks coming from the providers in the next year, it will become even more unnecessary.

Think about it, why would you pay for Wireless access at starbucks when you could use your provider's unlimited data plan?

Ok, for you an unlimited data plan is how much? 20 bucks? for me going to ATT GSM is more like 50 bucks and the same goes for Verizon. Sprint is just a NO NO NO. for me and I have a list of good reasons so don't go there. OK, so you are saying that because it works for you F--- everybody else. Right? No wonder why so many people hate americans.
    I love the idea of a smartphone. The 650 will be my first, BUT I don't think a device that small is gonna be ideal for surfing the web!!! with or without WiFi!!!

At the Long Beach Conference one of the guys who developed the 650 stated that WiFi was not implemented for 2 reasons:
    1. With WiFi present the phone would have to switch back and forth from Cell service to Wifi service when either hot spot was detected.
    2. MARKET MATURITY. that means how many ppl in the market for WiFi are gonna use it and how many times will ppl be in WiFi hot spots.

I know more and more Hot Spots are poping up all the time, (San Fransisco is about to become one big WiFi Hot Spot) but there aren't as many as we would like to think there are. (On a National scale)

The BOTTOM LINE is the BOTTOM LINE, market maturity dictates WHEN a new tecnology will be implemented on new devices, and HOW prevenlent that tecnology will be.

When a new tecno-device does not have a feature you WANT then you consider a different tecno-device. When a new tecno-device does not have a feature you NEED then you BUY a different tecno-device, or you cry like a little girl, just kidding
    Last edited by GiggleBush; 10/31/2004 at 12:27 PM.
    You're going to explain to me how my previous comments are "arrogent"

And the argument about someone like me has never connected to a wifi spot, so that's why I don't "get it" is invalid. My whole house is wireless, you'd be amazed how I have it set up. I also subscribe to T-Mobile's Hotspot service (and I do travel), so as you can see, I'm all about wifi. Now, I see wifi in a different light as the evangilizers do. For me, as Peter Skiller said at the Road Show, "...email is the killer app.". I don't need 11 Mbps to d/l email, I don't need 11 Mbps to hop on a website to quickly check something. If you think you do, maybe you're just a little impatient.

As for P1 "jerking" you around, there's a few reasons why P1 at this stage isn't including WiFi:

1) Ease of use: How will the Treo connect to the network? Will it do it autimatically? Will it ask you? What about pay hotspots? Will you enter in a password at the beginning and then will it jump on from then on? P1 doesn't think it's matured enough so that Joe Blow can hop on without being confused. I agree. (Yeah yeah, you know how to do it, but honestly, you don't matter. The general public does)

2) Interfernce from wifi/bluetooth: It happens. Get over it

3) BATTERY LIFE: This is a big thing. P1 is concerned about battery life. The second you put a WiFi radio in, the battery life plummets. 'Nuf said.

These are all the concerns P1 is dealing (all talked about at the Road Show). And until they feel that these issues have taken care of, they're not going to add WiFi. And I'm with them, I'd rather see an outof the box solution that works seamlessly, rather then me fuss with it.

Your Arrogent Friend,
    TheHandlessKing.

Posted from my Treo
    Latest moBlog shot:
    i'm with tmobile and the last plan with a data plan was only 50-60 a month, that's not that bad plus i think what is trying to be said, is take some real thought into it. would it really be that necessary for wifi and gsm or cdma to be together. If you really want wi-fi just get a zire 72, tungsten t3 or wait out the software for the t5 and get that with the wifi card or buy a tungsten c and there you go, but i mean why have a Treo smart phone and only use it for wifi...just buy the handheld for that but why spend tons of money on basically a cell phone/ pda and not use it for the benefits of the cell phone capabilities and pda capabilities it offers...i bet wi fi is awesome but if you can afford a treo then you damn sure can afford a data plan with it if not..then like GiggleBush said basically you need to buy the equipment specifically for your purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    No wonder why so many people hate americans.
    You've got bigger issues then P1 putting Wifi into a phone, friend.

TheHandlessKing
    Ok, for you an unlimited data plan is how much? 20 bucks? for me going to ATT GSM is more like 50 bucks and the same goes for Verizon. Sprint is just a NO NO NO. for me and I have a list of good reasons so don't go there. OK, so you are saying that because it works for you F--- everybody else. Right? No wonder why so many people hate americans.
    You're any ***** and a whiner. Get over it and go back to wherever you're loved by the masses.

Wifi didn't (and will not) make it into the T650. Go get something else, suck on your pacifier, and browse the internet in your local starbucks on Wifi.
  7.    #47  
    I understand the reason behind not making WiFi built-in in the Treo 650 and that's fine with me. But at least give us the option to have if we want it by making a driver for the WiF SD card. It's not only me there are lots of people that want it too including TreoCentral staff. That's all.

Al
    For the love of god, people are never happy.
    I bet if palm one gave them wifi, but it caused the treo 650 to bulge 1mm outwards, they would still throw a hissy fit. Wifi is not even needed, you have sprints vision plan, and to boot, next year sprint will be upgraded their service to be 10 times faster.

Quote by me:::

"Even If PalmOne gave out treo 650's for free, with a $10 bill wrapped around it, people still wouldnt be happy"

Give it a rest.
    Last edited by nguyen23464; 10/31/2004 at 12:43 PM.
    I understand the reason behind not making WiFi built-in in the Treo 650 and that's fine with me.

VS.

But at least give us the option to have if we want it by making a driver for the WiF SD card.

no comment.

TheHandlessKing
    No wonder why so many people hate americans.
    Wow. On the count of three, everybody say "YOU'VE GOT ISSUES!"
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    It's clearly not a "can't," it's a chose not to.

For me, wifi on my phone is no big deal. But I don't care if others lobby for it unless it adds cost to the phone or makes the features I care about work less well.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffster
    It's clearly not a "can't," it's a chose not to.

For me, wifi on my phone is no big deal. But I don't care if others lobby for it unless it adds cost to the phone or makes the features I care about work less well.
    Exactly, You don't need to love WIFI, but at least let it be. Is PalmOne going to take money from your paycheck to make a WiFi driver? Is the WiFi driver going to make your Treo bigger in size? Are we asking how many people like or don't like WiFi? To all you negative human beings just keep your negative vibe to yourself and let everybody else be happy. I had it I'm not replying more on this issue. Some people just don't get it.

EOT

Al
    To all you negative human beings just keep your negative vibe to yourself...
    You're kidding right? You really are crazy.

TheHandlessKing
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Everybody needs to take a deep breath and think about this for a second. The 650 runs an Intel chip, no ? Intel is dumping HUGE sums of money into Wi-MAX, which will trump both Ev-Dv and Wi-Fi. A forward-thinking company sees the furture and plans accordingly. So, P1 issues the 650 with just enough to stay on top, and releases the high-end data device next year. Why dump all the time and resources into Wi-Fi, when it'll be a moot point in a short time ?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    HighRollN95 wrote: "Ok Wi-Fi people out there.....please explain to me the exact benefit for having Wi-Fi in a phone as to having a phone with the internet service GSM/GPRS or CDMA from the service provider which gives you unlimited access to the internet wherever you please...."

It sounds like you are talking "either-or" when many of us are hoping for "together-both." I've had WiFi for quite some time with my Tungsten 'C' and my iPAQ 5555 but would like to have GSM/GPRS in the same machine. HP says their iPAQ 6315 will go 'seamlessly' between GPRS and WiFi. Currently the Treo line, while very capable in the GPRS department and, with EDGE, will be even more so, cannot do WiFi and we are being told that may not even be possible with the Palm WiFi cards many of us own.

To be sure, I can continue to use my Tungsten T3 with its WiFi card in hotspots and with my Motorola V-600 via Bluetooth in GPRS areas; but I'd rather have one device to carry, so, as another member said " I don't look like I'm wearing a Batman Toolbelt."

Hope this helps you understand the frustration of Treo and loyal Palm users in P1 not providing us with that felxibility in the current Treo 650 offering. Palm seems to want to hook us with yet another purchase in 6 months.
    Last edited by eugarps; 11/01/2004 at 07:09 AM.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Let me confess that I didn't read any part of this thread. Maybe I will later. I just saw the title and figured I'd "cast my vote" by stating that I honestly don't really care about WiFi on a smartphone. If they added it and it didn't effect the price by more than $10, then great. Otherwise, I don't need it and wouldn't want to pay more than $10 extra for the pleasure of having it built in.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    People are still not getting it. It is about SPEED. It will be 20 years before cellular service can put in place a network capable of today's WiFi speeds. Loading a good size web page now (I always use CNN as a test) even at the fastest current available celluar speed takes about 1 to 2 minutes vs 15-25 seconds for WiFi. Saying that because cellular data exists, WiFi isn't necessary is like saying that because cruise ships can get you to Europe, you don't need airplanes. Sure you can get to Europe on a crusie ship, but you'll spend so much time getting there that you won't have time for sightseeing. Same goes for data. You'll spenmd more time waiting for data to load than you will looking at it.

Cellular data is useful if WiFi isn't available. While WiFi isn't available in to most people everywhere they go, when it is available, we should have the option to use it. But cellular data will never replace the SPEED of WiFi. You may like browsing the web where web loads are measured in minutes instead of seconds, but a lot of us would prefer to use WiFi if its available to us.

Again, while lack of WiFi shouldn't be enough to persuade you from getting the very cool 650, don't try to convince us that WiFi is unnecessary either. The least P1 could do is write a stupid driver.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    HighRollN95 wrote: "Ok Wi-Fi people out there.....please explain to me the exact benefit for having Wi-Fi in a phone as to having a phone with the internet service GSM/GPRS or CDMA from the service provider which gives you unlimited access to the internet wherever you please....".

I work in a secure building, Leaded windows and all. So we have WIFI in my department and it would be great to connect if available.
    From all the discussions so far about needing WiFi basically for speed vs data plans, I think the focus should be about intranet and local access for companies and home offices. Often these web resources are not directly accessible through the carrier ISP, and not all provide VPN solutions into the firewall'ed local network.
    My .02 worth!
    I think speculations on this topic are not very useful.

The facts as we know them are that the 650 has no WiFi builtin, and that PalmOne has stated publicly that it may add support for WiFi SD cards in the future (based on later interviews with PalmOne execs posted right here on the TreoCentral site).

No amount of complaining is going to change these facts as they stand now. Lots of press coverage of disappointment over the WiFi omission may influence the eventual appearance of drivers, but there are no guarantees.

When it comes to customer needs, there are no hard truths. Everyone needs something different. I could care less about WiFi in my Smartphone, other people feel it's a requirement for them.

Why didn't PalmOne include WiFi to start? We'd have to ask them. It doesn't really matter, unless you're a stockholder.

Meanwhile, if you depend on and/or require WiFi support in your Smartphone, don't buy a Treo 650.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast