Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 120
  1. #21  
    I don't think the carriers are leaning on P1 to not support WiFi either. Even on their non-phone PDA's, how many WiFi devices do they have out there? One, the Tungsten C I think. It just seems like P1 isn't interested in WiFi.
  2. #22  
    I don't think it's a requirement people are asking for. Take Sprint for example..pretty much everyone who gets the Treo 650 is going to have an unlimited data plan, so there'd be no need for Wi-Fi at all since you already have net access. So to have the added cost of Wi-fi and push the price up simply wouldn't be worth it.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  3. #23  
    Some of you are missing the point. It's not about net access, it's about speed. Data plans on cellular are not the same thing as WiFi, not even close. WiFi is exponentially faster than cellular. Even EVDO and EDGE's paultry 300-500kb is nothing compared to 802.11b's 11MB rates. Even a "slow" WiFi connection is 2-3MB. There is no reason to sit at work or your home with a fast WiFi connection and still use a painfully slow celluar connection. The Treo 650 is neither a EVDO or an EDGE capable device, so if your lucky, you get a theoretical 56k to 144k. Most of us get 30k transfer rates, which is useless for web browsing unless you have some kind of proxy service that does the backend work for you.

    Pocket PC has ThunderHawk, which makes current GPRS and 1XRTT tolerable as TH does all the work in the background. But a straight browser experience under PalmOS? Almost useless. It takes CNN's web page 2-3 minutes to load, sometimes longer under GPRS. Try about 15 seconds with WiFi.

    While I will still get the 650 because it has so many other cool things about it, that doesn't mean that WiFi should be ignored.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Some of you are missing the point. It's not about net access, it's about speed. Data plans on cellular are not the same thing as WiFi, not even close. WiFi is exponentially faster than cellular. Even EVDO and EDGE's paultry 300-500kb is nothing compared to 802.11b's 11MB rates. Even a "slow" WiFi connection is 2-3MB. There is no reason to sit at work or your home with a fast WiFi connection and still use a painfully slow celluar connection. The Treo 650 is neither a EVDO or an EDGE capable device, so if your lucky, you get a theoretical 56k to 144k. Most of us get 30k transfer rates, which is useless for web browsing unless you have some kind of proxy service that does the backend work for you.

    Pocket PC has ThunderHawk, which makes current GPRS and 1XRTT tolerable as TH does all the work in the background. But a straight browser experience under PalmOS? Almost useless. It takes CNN's web page 2-3 minutes to load, sometimes longer under GPRS. Try about 15 seconds with WiFi.

    While I will still get the 650 because it has so many other cool things about it, that doesn't mean that WiFi should be ignored.
    You're right about the bandwidth issue, although you can't actualy get "11mbps" on 802.11 (it's 11mbps RF bandwidth). You really only see 1/2 of the speed in bits/sec.. so 11mbit is really only about 5.5mbps in real bits going over the air.

    The REAL killer is the latency. Normal WiFi latency is around 3-15ms. I've seen GPRS/1xRTT rates around 250+ms latency.. interactivity suffers worse than most modem connections. I don't know why the latency for cell connections is so bad, but until they get it below 100ms, it's almost useless for interactive work.

    Personaly, I don't give a rats *** about WiFi on my smartphone, I have a nice ThinkPad X31 laptop for doing real work on WiFi, where I can have a full keyboard for SSH, and a full size browser. I also have a full power 300mw WiFi card for long-distance links.
  5. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #25  
    I concur with the speed issue. I have an unlimited plan with Cingular, but my data speed is routinely around 20kbps (tested many times at DSLReports.com). I would forgo taking my laptop on a plane 90% of the time if I had megabit internet access. I'm going to buy a 650 whether or not it may "eventually support" wifi, but I'd be happier and feel even better about the decision if I knew they were actually going to develop the necessary drivers. It's already a given that the next Treo will have more memory, a higher res camera, and probably wifi built in. It gives us all something to look forward to, right ;-)
    Vince
  6. #26  
    I wouldn't count on it. By the time the next Treo comes out, most likely next-generation networks will be out, so the motive for Wi-fi will be even less than now.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  7. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #27  
    Good point unpopular. Did you ever decide to tell us your impressions of the 650?? I lost track of that thread...
    Vince
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    I wouldn't count on it. By the time the next Treo comes out, most likely next-generation networks will be out, so the motive for Wi-fi will be even less than now.
    No wonder why you are "so unpopular" You are too negative and before you say realistic, I would say it's a matter of proving how important WiFi is to so many people and how useful it would be to have it in our Treo. If the PalmOne CEO says WiFi will be there, don't you think it is because he knows that it is important and it should be there.

    After all, don't you guys think that if the Treo 650 had the WiFi drivers it would be a complete wireless device. It would make more people happy therefore it would sell more.


    Al
  9.    #29  
    Is there anybody that would not buy the Treo 650, because PalmOne decided to create drivers for the WiFi SD Card? I doubt it.

    Al
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    Is there anybody that would not buy the Treo 650, because PalmOne decided to create drivers for the WiFi SD Card? I doubt it.

    Al
    For PalmOne, developing Wi-fi SD card drivers for the Treo 650 costs time, money, and developer resources that could be used for other projects, and for the aforementioned reasons, IMO it is not likely it would be worth it.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  11. #31  
    Ok Wi-Fi people out there.....please explain to me the exact benefit for having Wi-Fi in a phone as to having a phone with the internet service GSM/GPRS or CDMA from the service provider which gives you unlimited access to the internet wherever you please....I work with Palmone sales and everytime I get someone calling me asking me about wi-fi or getting mad about it because it's not offered with the phone, it just makes me wonder, what's wrong with these people, because you are not seeing the advantage of having GSM or CDMA as to Wi-Fi just for about 20 bucks extra you can have you're own email account and unlimited or massive amount of internet access...and all the service providers we use in the US have that capability...believe me if you're somewhere that doesnt have a hot spot and you need internet what are you going to do?...now if you have a treo with a data plan in the same situation what are you going to do? easy, access the web browser exactly where you're at Wi-Fi is more of an advantage for regular PDA's without the phone attributes or atleast from the categories of products i've been working with.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    For PalmOne, developing Wi-fi SD card drivers for the Treo 650 costs time, money, and developer resources that could be used for other projects, and for the aforementioned reasons, IMO it is not likely it would be worth it.
    PalmOne has the drivers for the T5 and the Treo 650 shares the same OS. I don't think it would be that hard to adjust the drivers from the T5 to the Treo 650. Also, I think thee already have the drivers, the problem is that they say it interfered with the phone radio. Ok so, make the driver prompt the user that the radio will be turned off and it is up to the user to take it from there.
    Do you work for PalmOne? why are you so anti-WIFI for the Treo 650? Maybe I should ask Do you work for Microsoft? or HP?
    It is very clear that if PalmOne comes out with a new Treo, it must have WiFi. And remember that WiFi comes in different flavors and data rates keep going up as well.
    Have you ever used WiFi? If the answer is no, then you don't know what you are talking about.

    Al
  13. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #33  
    So I gather you still aren't talking about the new phone, unpopular?? What's the holdup?? :-)
    Al, unpopular is right, to a degree. Wifi technology is sort of on a bubble right now. There is new technology poised to take wifi in a whole new direction. To expend a lot of resources on developing drivers (only P1 knows for sure how difficult this would be), would really be investing in an almost backward technology. With wifi evolving into a viable, full blown wireless isp maybe BlueTooth will become a more widely accepted standard for hotspot connecting and local area stuff like printers and modems. I think we will eventually see wifi for the 650 (maybe a third party developer), but again, I'm buying one regardless.
    Vince
  14. #34  
    I have never used Wi-fi. I've never used one of them new fangled "computers" either. What's the internet?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  15. #35  
    This Wi-Fi thing has been going on since the introduction of the T600. I personally feel like I have been bashing my head against the wall with it.

    With that said, here is the bottom line:

    If you are thinking about purchasing the T650 based upon availability or the promise of Wi-Fi for it, DONT. There is zero history of PalmOne "getting" Wi-Fi. They have marketed Wi-Fi capabilities in the past and have not delivered.
  16. #36  
    if the treo650 had wi-fi that would basically be pointless bottom line, it may be a new technology but what about for people who don't have computers at their house or any need for going to an airport or starbucks or in a business that has a wireless router...I'm gonna use my phone to go online through my mobile service....ok say there was a treo with wi-fi on it, what is that going to do for you?
  17.    #37  
    In order to understand WiFi you need to have a WiFi router at home, a Handheld device with WiFi and have successfuly connected to some free hotspots around town. If you have never done all those then I understand why WiFi is not that important to you. You may think you understand what WiFi is because you read about it, but that is not enough, you need to live WiFi to really appreciate its power.

    Al
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    In order to understand WiFi you need to have a WiFi router at home, a Handheld device with WiFi and have successfuly connected to some free hotspots around town. If you have never done all those then I understand why WiFi is not that important to you. You may think you understand what WiFi is because you read about it, but that is not enough, you need to live WiFi to really appreciate its power.

    Al
    So go buy something with wifi. Sheesh! Do you have any appliances in your home that dont have wifi? Most of them don't. Does your car have wifi? No. Then why did you buy them?

    You act like wifi is the Holy Grail. Perhaps things would be better in Iraq if they had more wifi.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  19. #39  
    Wi-fi is unnecessary in the Treo. It's as simple as that. With even higher speed data networks coming from the providers in the next year, it will become even more unnecessary.

    Think about it, why would you pay for Wireless access at starbucks when you could use your provider's unlimited data plan?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
  20. #40  
    Exactly why buy excessive stuff that would only limit you to certain areas of your house or "hot-spot" area, when you got it all in your hand whereever whenever, that's something more to be proud about then wi-fi and I think I've learned quite enough about wi-fi from the time i've been working and I honestly don't see any personal or benefitial gain from it as to GPRS....and I don't even have a computer I'm not wasting money for all that when i can just buy the treo and pretty much have it all there..there's more beauty it that than pretty much anything else
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions