1.    #1  
    Will it be possible to browse the web/check mail on the 650 using BlueTooth? I have a bluetooth usb key that supports the Networking profile and I think I read somewhere for ipaqs without wi-fi to use BlueTooth for internet access. Any idea if the 650 will be able to do this as well?

Thanks
    Abbas
    In the case of the iPAQ, it would connect to a bluetooth enabled phone and use that as its wireless modem to gain internet access. Not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish with the USB key though.
  3.    #3  
    From what I can remember, you can actually use the ipaq's bluetooth to browse the web through your BT enabled PC connected through broadband. Kinda like a Wi-Fi except with shoter range (10m)

-Abbas
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas
    Will it be possible to browse the web/check mail on the 650 using BlueTooth? I have a bluetooth usb key that supports the Networking profile and I think I read somewhere for ipaqs without wi-fi to use BlueTooth for internet access. Any idea if the 650 will be able to do this as well?

Thanks
    Abbas
    In any case, you will need a proxy. For example, if your PC is persistently connected to the Internet, you can connect your Treo to it via BT and access the Internet from your Treo. Your PC must support this use.

Alternatively, and more likely, if your Treo is connected to the Internet via GPRS or Vision, you can connect your PC to the Treo via BT and access the Internet from your PC. Treo supports this application via PDANet using a cable connection. I would expect PDANet to support this via BT.

Note that one can do either or these applications via cable or IRDA. Cable is very reliable, IRDA a little less so. I would expect BT be in the middle.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/31/2004 at 09:39 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    In any case, you will need a proxy. For example, if your PC is persistently connected to the Internet, you can connect your Treo to it via BT and access the Internet from your Treo. Your PC must support this use.
    Thats what I wanted to know- thanks. I would like to use Bluetooth while at home and office to surf/check mail. Any idea on how I could set it up?

Thanks
    Abbas
    Not trying to seem cynical here, but why? if your desktop is less than 30 feet away, why not use its full size screen? Please don't flame me...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Not trying to seem cynical here, but why? if your desktop is less than 30 feet away, why not use its full size screen? Please don't flame me...
    I am with you. I was just trying to answer the question.
    Maybe I just a Newb, but on the front page of this site there is an article about how Sprint will support Bluetooth DUN (Dial up Networking) isn't that what your kinda asking about???
    With DUN won't you be able to access the Web thru Bluetooth???
    Quote Originally Posted by GiggleBush
    Maybe I just a Newb, but on the front page of this site there is an article about how Sprint will support Bluetooth DUN (Dial up Networking) isn't that what your kinda asking about???
    With DUN won't you be able to access the Web thru Bluetooth???
    That is the second use. That is using BT to connect the PC to the Treo and, via the Treo, to the Internet. That is what many of us do now with PDANet and a USB cable. BT would replace the cable and the BT DUN software on the PC and the Treo would replace the PDANet software.

This is a good application and works tolerably well. It enables a PC to connect to the Internet from anyplace that the Treo sees a wireless signal. With the 650, and EDGE or EV-DO, this inexpensive service ($20/month for all the data one can eat? That is what I currently pay T-Mo for this application) will enable the PC to see the Internet at speeds approaching DSL. There was some concern that Sprint might not permit this use because it might create too much load. More likely the carriers will control this use by price. Because EDGE and EV-DO are faster than the current connections, they are likely to cost more. For example, AT&T offers EDGE in some markets for $80 per month. Since there are not yet many phones that support EDGE, this application uses EDGE/PCMCIA cards. However, while connecting the using PC to the Treo by BT might be a little more convenient for the user, it is transparent to Sprint or the other carriers whether the PC is connected to their service via a PCMCIA card, via a Treo by BT, or via Treo by USB cable.

What is confusing is the language "browse the web/check mail on the 650 using BlueTooth?" This makes it sound as though the browser and mail client will run on the Treo. For that application, there is no role for BT; the 650 will be connected to the service provider via the cellular connection and the service provider will provide the Internet proxy.

BT is a short range cable-replacement technology. Its role on the Treo is to connect the Treo to things like head-sets, earphones, hands-free devices, personal computers, and printers rather than the Internet.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/31/2004 at 01:35 PM.
    PIC had a how-to on this when the Tungsten was first released.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4521
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  11.    #11  
    Well, the GPRS is QUITE expensive where I am and if I connect/surf using GPRS all the time, I'll end up with an extra $100 to $150 bill per month. With bluetooth, the 30 foot range would enable me to check my mail on the couch in the living room or on my bed in bedroom- I have the BT based PC placed between them.

-Abbas
    Yes you will be able to use the BT on the Treo 650 with your PC as long as it supports Bluetooth Serial and you cna surf using the Softick PPP application (have done so personally using a T2)! Also, with a Bluetooth 1.2 dongle on your PC, the range can be 100m and people forget that not everyone just wants to surf the internet at home on the Treo 650. How about just being able to access your LAN, transfer files etc and yes do a network sync!

Cheers!