1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600, SprintPCS, and an OS X iBook.

I get the impression that in order to use my Treo as a modem to get my iBook onto the internet, I can use my HotSync cable for the connection, but that I need to buy the software NotifyMail sells, but what is not clear, from their website or the discussions of their software, are the answers to these questions:

1) Is the connection made through dialup service using my cellphone number, or is it made through my unlimited Sprint Vision service that gives me my email and web access?

2) If it goes through dialup, doesn't Sprint charge me for every minute online, whereas if it goes through my Sprint Vision service my flat monthly payment for Vision is unchanged?

The website for their software stresses that they are not responsible for extra phone charges, but it doesn't make clear whether or not I should expect such charges routinely.

Any help or clarity would be most appreciated. I emailed Gruby c/o NotifyMail but got no answer.

Thanks,

NateS
    1) It's made through vision (Sprint does NOT allow you to use your phone as a modem, and WILL cancell your vision services, or charge you a per k/b rate when they notice.

2) You cannot dial out to an ISP phone number.
  3.    #3  
    Then what the heck is Gruby selling this for $37 for?
    Is this a scam?
    Thanks.
    NateS
    Wireless Modem is not a scam. The app works great with my Sprint T600 and 12" Powerbook. The software simply enables a port connection to be opened between the two devices and the dialing/modem comes from the T600 so the OSX laptop can share it. Very simple. I have not heard from Sprint or had any problems from them since using the app. However, I use it intermittently and am not connected for extended periods of time, nor do I do a lot of business work so my data usage is probably not significant. There appears to be some controversy about Wireless Modem and some folks use the desktop app and a "tethering" mode feature in the Sprint T600 to connect; though they do not purchase Wireless Modem. Though it's a steep price, the Palm OS app and desktop app together are a nice and convenient combo, so I paid my money and went on my way.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your reply. Could you explain this part of it a little better?

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorganstein
    . . . There appears to be some controversy about Wireless Modem and some folks use the desktop app and a "tethering" mode feature in the Sprint T600 to connect; though they do not purchase Wireless Modem. Though it's a steep price, the Palm OS app and desktop app together are a nice and convenient combo, so I paid my money and went on my way.
    What does this mean?

Thanks again.
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!