Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    as I recall, the 600 has a button which turns on/off all transmitting/receiving of data, especially useful when on an airplane.

Am I correct that the 650 does not have such a button? Can this functionality be assigned to the user-defined button? Is it quick and easy to turn off all wireless functionality through menus?
    I think in the OEM form, you hold the far right hard key (red phone icon) down for a couple seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I think in the OEM form, you hold the far right hard key (red phone icon) down for a couple seconds.
    I got tell this story about a confrontational flight attendant. I fly a lot with work, often just day trips where I fly in, do my thing, and fly out that afternoon. One flight there was an attendant that obviously did not enjoy her job, let alone life.

I faithfully turn my cell phone off and often use the palm side for games, doing some work, etc.... during the flight. When she saw it (and yes I always use the stylus to help anyone glancing over that it is a palm, not just a phone) she asked me to turn it off. I very politely let her know that the phone is completely off, showed her that there was no power to the signal, and that I am using my palm polite.

She said she did not care, that I "could not do anything on anything that resembled a phone" and asked me to turn it off again.

I probably should have just turned off the screen and left it at that....but I didn't. I politely, with a smile and very friendly voice, told her that since it is a Palmpilot that I cannot turn it off, and all I can do is turn off the screen and I would be glad to do that and put it away.

She could not understand this and asked me then to take out the battery! There were at least two other people using Palms in the row in front of me and across the isle. Their faces went white when they heard that as you know they were terrified she would do the same to them and they would loose all their data. But, I had no choice but to tell her that I could not take it out, as it is a permenant battery inside a sealed case.

At that point the other two kind of raised their hands and backed me up that all palm pilots can never be turned off and we could only turn off the screen. Of coure I am sure they were protecting themselves from a technology ignorant attendant on the hunt.

At that point, she looked red in the face, either in frustration in not winning the situation or frustration in her lack of knowledge in asking for and pressing for something that she did not understand.

I know in this day and age of empowered attendants with increased authority, it was lucky for me and the other two, she did drop it and never spoke to any of us the rest of the flight. Even when leaving the plane, the person in front of me and behind me got a "Good-Bye, hope you had a nice flight", but not me!
    excellent!
    I've never had a problem with a rude flight attendant, but I got to the point where I got tired of explaining to every single flight attendant that the phone portion of the pda was switched off. It was just easier to read a paper book or snooze!
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by dacloutier
    I've never had a problem with a rude flight attendant, but I got to the point where I got tired of explaining to every single flight attendant that the phone portion of the pda was switched off. It was just easier to read a paper book or snooze!
    With about around 50-60 flights (including connecting flights) since I have had my Treo, this was the only one to make an issue of it. Others have inquired, but then simple knodded and walked away after I explained it....some were even intrigued and wanted to take a closer look and to learn more about it for themselves.

Of course, if we can ever loose the antenna on treo, this would never an issue as no one would be able to tell is was not a normal PDA with a keyboard.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 10/30/2004 at 08:53 PM.
    Oh, I hate to be the weenie to say this, but the iMate PDA2K doesn't have an antenna, so you wouldn't have this problem.

And I'm a Mac guy, seriously considering a Windows cell phone. What has the world come to?

- hoju
    Quote Originally Posted by hoju
    And I'm a Mac guy, seriously considering a Windows cell phone. What has the world come to?
    Man, that's not right.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The old thumb over the antenna trick works 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, I whip out my laptop that, due to a driver problem that cropped up when I installed WinXP SP2, I can't turn of the WiFi. Ahhh, what they don't know...
    I make a point to take my stylus out and use it when on a plane (I almost never use it otherwise). I have found that this goes along way in giving the correct impression that this is indeed a PDA.
    Had a few problems with flight attendants when I first got the T600 almost a year ago, but it seems most have seen it by now and know about it.
    Is the antenna removable/unscrewable? Perhaps temporarily removing it might work. This is a consideration for me when deciding on purchasing a Treo 600/650 because I fly almost weekly.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseRPI
    Is the antenna removable/unscrewable? Perhaps temporarily removing it might work. This is a consideration for me when deciding on purchasing a Treo 600/650 because I fly almost weekly.
    No it's not. I have flown about 20 times with it and I am yet to be asked to put it away. When asked, I always explain that it is a Palm and a phone and I switch to the phone app and point to the text on top "Wireless mode off". This has been always sufficient.

Like I said above, I keep the stylus out until I'm asked or feel comfortable that they have seen me use it. I believe this has a psychological effect assuring them that it's a real PDA, which they consider safe, not some phone with some games to play.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    You're lucky the air marshall didn't take you in the back room and eliminate you.

Joe
    Where I fly on average 230+ segments a year this is something I have tremendous knowledge of.

1) Having flown nearly 250 segments with my Treo (on 20+ airlines) I have never been confronted about putting away my phone, even in "Wireless Off" mode but I have no doubt it does happen. Regardless of wireless mode being disabled, we are at the mercy of uninformed flight attendents. Even if you have an FAA letter stating that your phone is compliant with "the rules" what ever the flight attendent says, goes. The same goes for the TSA geniuses that DROPPED MY LAPTOP!!! last Monday. Even if you have a device that isn't on the banned list, if they don't like it, it doesn't get on the plane. Example: In March I was at the Brookstone store in the Pittsburg, PA airport and I purchased a SwissTech folding tool (the Brookstone store is INSIDE the secured area) Further I was handed an FAA approval letter dated Jan. 4, 2004 saying that the folding wrench was approved for carry-on baggage. I flew home to K.C. with it and 3 weeks later it was confiscated in the security check point even though I still had the letter with me! Doesn't matter, whatever the TSA says goes. Same is true of flight attendents. It is a federal regulation (regardless of how misguided the flight attendent is) that you must follow thier "orders".

2) Two months ago both the Wall Street Journal and USA Today published articles (I will do my best to find the link to the story)about a 3 year long study of cell phone use on commercial airliners. After tracking 10,000 flights with UNRESTRICTED use of cell, GSM and CDMA based phones not a single incedent of radio interference was found, nor has there EVER been an incedent reported to the FAA on any flight. (My brother has been an EE for the FAA for 20+ years) According to the article, the FAA will propose use of in flight cell phones early next year. For now though, they stay off.

While I understand that flight attendants can't possibly be up on every new device that hits the market, they are simply speaking the "party line". This is about control not safety.
    >>I got tell this story about a confrontational flight attendant. <<

Looks like this tramp hasn't ben laid in a while. I am totally sick of Stews on US carriers. They have been acting way too smart after 9/11.
    As is often mentioned, I have also come to the conclusion that there is a common trait among some employees in certain positions:

Some folks LOVE to be enforcers of rules. Many administrative assistants, flight attendants, security workers and (sorry to say) even system administrators actually enjoy forcing people to comply with things that are in a rule or policy book somewhere.

No doubt that some of these folks also truly believe that what they are doing helps increase safety or whatever, but in this "Policy Enforcer" job category there are also those who just want to boss people around.

At the same time, there are also those of us that like to "stretch" the rules, whatever they might be...

Of course, a friendly demeanor on the part of the "rule bender" often goes a long way in softening things and getting your way but it doesn't always work.

BTW, I know that the poster was not really "bending the rules" or being rude -- these are just often an incorrect perceptions on the part of the rule enforcers...
    Last edited by work2fish; 10/31/2004 at 09:54 AM.
    I have got a great story of a flight attendant who thought she was it!
    To preface, I am a gold status flyer with American. I am on a flight quite a bit and ALWAYS comply with the rules with my treo, computer and ipod on a flight.

A couple of weeks ago, I was on a flight to Los Angelas when I ran intoa real treat of a flight attendant. I have Etomytic Research ER-4 headphones. The design of the headphones lowers the outside sounds by about 15db.(FYI-Best headphones I have ever tried!) I will place them in my ear almost as soon as I get on the plane to mute the background noise. I always leave the the end of the plug on my leg so that it can easily be seen. Before we took off, a not very happy FA came by and told me to take my earphones out. I showed her the plug of my earphones, and then picked up my ipod in the seatback pocket and showed her that it was off. She said that I couldn't wear earphones because of FAA rules. I POLITELY reminded her that her boarding instructions specifically say "turn off electronic deivices". It did not say anything about removing headphones, etc. She argued that she was correct and if I did not comply, she would report me to the Air Marshall. I did as she asked. I removed them to comply with her, and to make sure she calmed down. I did not put them back on until we reached the 10,000 ft. point.

It just shows that every once in a while, you will run into a PMSing / bad day, irrational person..........but they are still in charge.

Since that day, I have flown about a dozen trips, and have not had a word said to me.
    i'm pretty sure she wanted you to take the headphones out so that you would be able to hear the safety instructions.

as far as cell phone use on flights is concerned, i for one hope they don't allow it. you are a captive audience on a flight and the last thing i would want to endure is a cross country flight with the passenger next to me or behind me yapping needlessly for 5 hours. the pricey airphones make people think twice before dialing...and i've never seen someone talking for more than a couple minutes on one.
    Broadwayblue-

Cellphones don't work very well on planes at cruising altitude, as the signal doesn't reach high enough. The only problem would be the proposed in-plane cell towers. That would be miserable...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast