Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    The only problem would be the proposed in-plane cell towers. That would be miserable...
    It certainly would be. The 100' tower sticking out of the top of the plane would kill the aerodynamics.
    InfiniteWill is totally correct in that wether a flight attendent or pilot is right or wrong you are under FAA regulations required to obey their orders or face arrest or being banned from flying. Don't believe me? Try it sometime and see. If they tell you that you can not use a Treo or anything else on an airplane they may have good cause for it at that moment that they can not disclose to you and you are not entitled to an explanation.
    I never had a problem with my Tungsten W, but did once with my Treo 600. The FA did not care that my screen said the phone was off. So I started reading some useless magazine and then just looking at nothing out the window. The sort of thing I was trying to avoid after having bought a Treo 600. Wonder if writting the editor of the in-flight magazine could prompt them to include PDA/Phones specifically in the list of approved electronic devices?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Needed is a cover for the Treos so the antenna does not show...it will look like the top of the Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblue
    i'm pretty sure she wanted you to take the headphones out so that you would be able to hear the safety instructions.

as far as cell phone use on flights is concerned, i for one hope they don't allow it. you are a captive audience on a flight and the last thing i would want to endure is a cross country flight with the passenger next to me or behind me yapping needlessly for 5 hours. the pricey airphones make people think twice before dialing...and i've never seen someone talking for more than a couple minutes on one.
    I agree. Text if you want, but save your yapping for when I don't have to be stuck in a tube with you.
    Hi Guys

mgauss I think that is a great idea. Just a cheap cover that has the ' Palm PDA or Palm Personal Assistant' on it would probaly do the job.

Surely there is a thrid party that knock these up pretty cheaply. Never had any problems with my T so this should do the job.

Cheers
    BBKBAZ
    mgauss, that is indeed a fantastic idea. So simple. Patent pending?

As an alternative, if you are worried about using your Treo on an airplane, go and talk to one of the flight attendants before the plane takes off. Explain the device to them, and demonstrate the "wireless mode off" button. Get their name too.

Once you're up in the air is when nerves become delicate. You're surrounded by others, so it is important for the attendant to assert his authority in front of them. Also, the dynamic of being seated while the attendant towers over you is straight out of kindergarten, with you as the unruly student. And let's not forget the constant fear being pumped into air travel.

- hoju
    here's a good news for those who uses cellphones and travel often, using airbus planes

Plane maker Airbus reported progress Wednesday in plans to enable passengers to use mobile phones in flight, beginning in 2006.

Test equipment aboard an Airbus A320 plane demonstrated that mobile phones can be used without interfering with navigation systems, according to Airbus.

Cell phones onboard were used to send and receive calls and texts, the Toulouse, France-based company said in a statement.

"The tests are a major milestone in the offering by Airbus of personal mobile telephones aboard commercial aircraft from 2006," it said.

PDAs and other wireless devices were tested in a separate trial, which capped a two-year study led by German Aerospace Center DLR, it said.

While falling fares drive simpler service on short flights, airlines competing on intercontinental routes are turning to innovations such as Internet access, flat beds, and better music and video systems to distinguish their brands.

Airbus rival Boeing, for example, has developed Connexion by Boeing, an onboard broadband Internet service.

Germany's Lufthansa launched the Internet service under the name Lufthansa FlyNet in May aboard some planes and aims to have it available on its entire long-haul fleet by the first quarter of 2006.

Airbus' mobile-phone trial involved using a small onboard base station, or "picocell," and routing calls via the Globalstar satellite communications network to the ground and terrestrial telephone networks.

Airbus, along with Geneva, Switzerland-based SITA and Seattle-based Tenzing, announced plans to form a new company in July aimed at helping airlines deploy such technology.

The companies said the aim was to enable passengers to use cell phones, laptops and PDAs on planes--and to be billed through their own phone company or Internet service provider.
    you can even use your wifi equipments on certain flights
    www.connexionbyboeing.com
    so....well, tell those flight attendants to eat their rules!
    As you are getting on the plane you can sometimes ask the FA to ask the pilot (or ask him directly yourself). I had a Kyocera 7135 and had a couple problems with FA's. One time I was getting on to a Continental flight from Newark to Ohio and as I was getting on I had the opportunity to speak to the pilot (he was standing with the FA). I pulled out the Kyo and started explaining what it was, he told me he had one as well and to go right ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoju
    Oh, I hate to be the weenie to say this, but the iMate PDA2K doesn't have an antenna, so you wouldn't have this problem.

And I'm a Mac guy, seriously considering a Windows cell phone. What has the world come to?

- hoju
    I just took the plunge and ordered a PPC-6601, so no more antena worries.....at least not until the Tre0 700 lures me back into the fold!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Cell phones do in fact interfere with the communication equipment on aircraft. There have been numerous time when receiving an incoming call, I can hear ALOT of static in the cockpit speakers or headsets. I am no EE, but I believe it has to do with the cell phones transmitting a stronger signal on initially receiving or transmitting a signal for a call. I do know that the batteries on my treo will not last more than one day if I leave the wireless signal on when flying, it normally is good for 3 days.

I have flown more than 150 flights in the back and have never been asked to turn of the treo in flight. However, I always hold my treo with my left hand, and cover the antennae with my index finger.
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    There are two different issues here.

1. Cells phones at 36K feet rarely if ever have a signal, so draininig the battery should actaully happen since when a digital phone (I think for analog as well) doesn't have a signal lock it will continuously try to connect to a network.

2. I have rarely used my PDA on an airplane. I am typically using my laptop since no PDA on the market comes even close to providing enough memory/power/drive space to allow me to do my normal job.
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva
    I have got a great story of a flight attendant who thought she was it!
    To preface, I am a gold status flyer with American. I am on a flight quite a bit and ALWAYS comply with the rules with my treo, computer and ipod on a flight.
    ---snip---

FAA regs actually do specify...
    no "noise reduction headphones" can be used within 10 minutes of takeoff or landing because those are electronic devices - Also because they would prevent you from hearing announcements from the pilot or crew.
    Viper, you missed the point!

These headphones have "ear plugs" built into the design. There is no noise cancelling piece on these phones (like Bose).

There is nothing electoroic beside the music reproduction. The rest is done by silicon.
    i was flying back home once and i forgot the headphones for the 600 so i couldnt listen to music. so i just turned the loud speaker right down flipped the phone and was listening to the music that way and when the flight women saw me man did she flip she thought that i was on the phone and i made it even worse by miming the words LOL but after i explained she was fine
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    The only airline that I've ever had this trouble on is Southwest. I explained to the flight attendent that the phone portion was turned off and she pointed me to this rule that they have:

"any transmission using personal communications devices (including cell phones in GAME or AIRPLANE mode) is prohibited once the forward-entry door is closed. Flight Attendants will advise Customers when the doors are closed."
    Quote Originally Posted by WFTarHeel
    The only airline that I've ever had this trouble on is Southwest. I explained to the flight attendent that the phone portion was turned off and she pointed me to this rule that they have:

"any transmission using personal communications devices (including cell phones in GAME or AIRPLANE mode) is prohibited once the forward-entry door is closed. Flight Attendants will advise Customers when the doors are closed."
    Did you explain that you weren't transmitting?
    Of course, but she said that their policy is that a device capable of transmitting cannot be used even "in GAME or AIRPLANE mode."
    All,
    I have flow Southwest recently as well....enough times to see some of the same attendants. I explained that we have no such thing as an "airplane" mode that they refer to. They do say exactly as the person above wrote...if it CAN transmit it must be off. Since I was talking to her in the back of the cabin, I was showing her my 600 and showed in detail on the screen how as long as it was not powered up as indicated by the signal meter, etc, that it is the equivalent of a palm. It is clearly an understanding of the technology problem and rather than trying to understand, they just ban all. I told her the ones she ought to worry about are the blackberry users nothing against them, but was simply telling her that they are pretty much an always on, always receiving mode and there is little way of a flight attendant knowing.
    Eric
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast