Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Aside from changing carriers, is there an advantage to locked vs. unlocked Treo's? I've read that unlocked "generic" sacrifces some of the quality of a locked sprint, at&t phone, etc....

thnx
    this has been discussed alot.

the sprint version doesnt come in an locked or unlocked version.

unlocked, just means you can use the gsm phone with any (most) gsm sim cards.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    So if I buy a unlocked 650 I will still have all its capabilities?
  4.    #4  
    So a phone can come Locked, unlocked and neither? I want to stay with AT&t and I'm told all their stuff comes locked. Does this mean I'm 100% stuck with them as a carrier? No way to unlock it elsewhere? What if I purchased an unlocked version from Palm1? Will AT&T lock it once they get a hold of it, or will it be unlocked for good?

thnx
    OC RYDAH...from my understanding you will still have all of its capabilities. The locked ones..besides being locked to one network (sprint, tmobile...) r supposedly tweaked to perform optimally on that specific network. Unlocked units aren't tweaked to a specific network but will function on which ever you choose (unlckd GSM on tmo, cing, sun com, etc...).
    Man's ultimate happiness...acquisition of the coolest toys
    Quote Originally Posted by stratus
    So a phone can come Locked, unlocked and neither? I want to stay with AT&t and I'm told all their stuff comes locked. Does this mean I'm 100% stuck with them as a carrier? No way to unlock it elsewhere? What if I purchased an unlocked version from Palm1? Will AT&T lock it once they get a hold of it, or will it be unlocked for good?

thnx
    I have right from the product developers mouth "all GSM will come unlocked." All Treos have always been unlocked. The may have specific software to enable services but that software has always been provided for free in the past. It is on Palm's website right now for the 600 if you want to change carriers. It comes with on the software disc with the phone. There is a drop down menu for provider.
    Just to clarify, what cglaguna says above refers to GSM phones not CDMA phones. This then would exclude Sprint/Verizon phones because they are CDMA providers. So any reference to a locked or unlocked phone is only for a GSM phone. I am going to assume this is correct based on what Felipe said above. Am I correct?
    Rees
    the treo website that talks about the demo program and roadshow purchases clearly states that all GSM models are always shipped unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by OC RYDAH
    So if I buy a unlocked 650 I will still have all its capabilities?
    yes, depending on the services your particular carrier provides.

a gsm phone can come locked or on locked.

the cdma phones dont use that term (usually). theoritically you can move from sprint to verizon, but you need to take the phone to the carrier you are moving to.

I am also told (and read) that AT&T phones always come locked. And that they dont like un-locking (t-mo is good at this). If you get an unlocked phone from palm, ATT wont lock it. If you get a locked phone from ATT, you may be a ble to get it unlocked via a third party. FYI, users here on TC found a way to unlock the 600 and "businesses" started selling the method even though the files were free to anyone who could find them. I sure if it can be found, the unlocking method would be available on here or other treo forums.

the treo website that talks about the demo program and roadshow purchases clearly states that all GSM models are always shipped unlocked.
    we hope that is true, but that faq may have not been updated since the 650 became available and is only speaking about the 600.
    Felipe
    If you havea GSM phone, how can you tell if it is locked or unlocked (shy of trying another carriers sim card in it)?
    That's pretty much the only sure way.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    If you havea GSM phone, how can you tell if it is locked or unlocked (shy of trying another carriers sim card in it)?
    usually a locked gsm phone has some of its carrier branding on them, either a logo or some softwares being made especially for them eg: on attws phones, nearly all their phone has mMode link whereas in an unlocked phone, that might be just another 'neutral' link
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    pretty much. i guess you can ask the phone company if it came locked and how can you get it unlocked.

t-mo is good at this, but they use to be better.
    Felipe
    Here's a couple of questions:

1) Is there a way to tell if a T600 is locked or not without inserting someone else's SIM card?

2) Anyone have a link to free software to unlock the T600? I am specifically interested in one supplied by T-Mobile, but I'm sure others would be interested in unlocks for other service providers.
    1. Did you read the posts above?

2. Take a look over at the forums on my treo dot net
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Yes, as a matter of fact I did read the posts above. I saw a lot of discussion and some things that required interpretation. What I did not see what a plain English statement that there is no way to tell for sure if a phone is locked or not without trying another SIM card. It suprises me that there is no software version checker or some place to look in the system software to see if this is the case.

The other thing I didn't see was a link to the unlock software. I went over to treo dot net but did not find any software for unlocking sims in their downloads area. I also tried searching their discussion site, but did not find a link.

I just thought since someone above seemed to know the software was over at another site that they might be able to tell me exactly where it was.

What I wasn't looking for was someone to give me the RTFM answer. I read it, I didn't find it. Maybe I did miss something very obvious. How about helping me and others out with a straight answer instead of clogging up posts with crappy responses that offer NOTHING of use to anyone?

Thanks for nothing.
    ^^you sure you can't see these?
    http://tinyurl.com/5gfx6

ps: you're asking crappy questions that has been answered over and over
    Oh my God! What is it with you guys? Is a simple answer just TOO MUCH to ask?

How about a link to the freakin' software that was referenced. Instead you sent me a link to a search on a DISCUSSION BOARD? The same search that I already did myself?

Yes, I see the 1 BILLION posts about unlocking. What I haven't found is the link to the software.

And yeah, I know I'm asking a question that's been asked a lot. But here's a thought, if people started supplying REAL and USEFUL answers to the questions instead of just saying "go look on the internet" maybe there wouldn't be so many people asking about it.

If you're not going to be helpful, how about just shutting your pie hole? Quit wasting my time and others who are looking for the same information by making the wade through junk that just tells them to go look somewhere else for the information.
    For those who may come after me and wade through the worthless "answers" supplied by those who don't know how to actually help anyone:

The short answer is that the unlock software is not readily available for direct download due to some legal wrangling with PalmOne.

The software can be obtained by going to treo dot net, going to the discussion boards and searching for the post titled "Request Treo 600 Unlock Patch Here!"
    I, for one, applaud you Magoo. These boards are full of snide replies to simple questions. While I understand that some people are lazy or stupid, it is often not easy to determine whether the requester did his due dilligence.

Assume the best of your fellow geek and just give him the freaking link.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast