Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, at the risk of public ridicule and scorn, I will be the first to admit that I "bought" one of the unlocked GSM Treo 650's on ebay. Despite several suspicious warning signs of potential fraud, I decided to roll-the dice (after signing up for PayPay's credit card and enhanced buyer protection) and see what happens.

I haven't yet received acknowlegement from the seller, but it's still only 7:30 am here.

So, will anyone else admit to buying one of them?

[I'm happy to share my saga -- good or bad -- as I wait to see what my $1000 bought, or didn't buy. Just spare me the lectures about the wisdom of my decision....]

Here's to hoping it turns out well for you.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I sent the seller a few eMail and yesterday I got this letter from eBay.

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Please be aware that we have recently cancelled bids for the buyer noted above due to our inability to confirm his or her contact information and/or the failure to complete recent transactions. The buyer's privileges to trade on eBay have been temporarily suspended while we investigate this matter further.

Our records indicate that this buyer recently attempted to complete a transaction with you. Since the buyer is not currently registered on the eBay site, you may consider the transaction null and void if you have not already shipped the item.

If you have already shipped the item, we advise you to consider taking the following steps at this time:

1. Contact the company that was used to send payment to verify whether or not funds have cleared.

2. Contact law enforcement in the area where the buyer lives if you find that the funds are fraudulent. Be sure to be as specific as possible, including names, addresses, phone numbers or any other information that you may have about the buyer. If a detective is assigned to your case, please ask him or her to contact us so that we can assist in the investigation.

3. Contact the shipping carrier to determine whether or not it may be possible to stop shipment on the package.

4. Consider filing a complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC). The IFCC is partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime Center. The IFCC will review and evaluate complaints and refer information to the appropriate local, state, or federal agency. Every complaint that is referred by the IFCC is sent to one or more law enforcement or regulatory agencies that have jurisdiction over that matter. You can file a complaint with the IFCC at:

http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

5. If your package was shipped via USPS, you may be able to file a mail fraud complaint at:
    https://www.usps.com/postalinspector...dComplaint.htm

6. In the event that you are not able to receive funds for this sale, you can file for a credit of your Final Value Fees, provided it has not been 45 days or more since the auction ended. To request a Final Value Fee credit, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the "site map" link at the top of any eBay page.
    2. On the "Site Map" page, click the link "Request final value fee credit" under the "Seller Accounts" heading in the middle column.

If you have any concerns or questions about this situation or any other eBay-related issues you can visit our help system by clicking on "Help" on the navigation bar at the top of any eBay web page.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    good luck to you man
    Alright, I'll admit to buying one too. I couldn't resist it... I have received several e-mails from the buyer and at one point, he offered to refund my money (to help me out). He said he's out of town right now but is going to ship the Treo's on Monday.

Argelius, send me a private message with your e-mail. I've tried contacting the other buyers so we can all be in touch. My only thought was that if we all get screwed, we have a better chance as a group rather than individually?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I sent the seller a few eMail and yesterday I got this letter from eBay.
    I am confused. Did you sell this guy something? The email from eBay seems to be directed to the seller of an item, rather than someone who bid on the T650...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkomatic
    Alright, I'll admit to buying one too. I couldn't resist it... I have received several e-mails from the buyer and at one point, he offered to refund my money (to help me out). He said he's out of town right now but is going to ship the Treo's on Monday.

Argelius, send me a private message with your e-mail. I've tried contacting the other buyers so we can all be in touch. My only thought was that if we all get screwed, we have a better chance as a group rather than individually?
    im sorry but that out of town remark...um is not a good thing...sorry
    Have PayPal reverse the transaction NOW! If the seller gets his hands on your money you will have a hard time getting it back. $5 says you won't get a T650 from that source... The unlocked version isn't even supposed to be out for a while, right?

And you call Bush dumb.....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Well, at the risk of public ridicule and scorn, I will be the first to admit that I "bought" one of the unlocked GSM Treo 650's on ebay. Despite several suspicious warning signs of potential fraud, I decided to roll-the dice (after signing up for PayPay's credit card and enhanced buyer protection) and see what happens.

I haven't yet received acknowlegement from the seller, but it's still only 7:30 am here.

So, will anyone else admit to buying one of them?

[I'm happy to share my saga -- good or bad -- as I wait to see what my $1000 bought, or didn't buy. Just spare me the lectures about the wisdom of my decision....]

sorry I couldn't help to lecture....but you claim by your avatar Bush doesn't have a brain. really
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    ^excuse my idiocy here...(but then again i dont live in the us) but is that avatar supposed to be pro bush or anti bush...pro because of the 8 yr remark...anti because of the no brain pic

help a canuck out here
    Argelius I have to agree with Dalai Lama, that should be your picture in that avatar. Ebay can be risky enough on a good day, much less buying something that doesn't even exist yet. Reverse the Paypal payment if you still can.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  12.    #12  
    Okay. Everybody wins. I am stupider than Bush. Enough with the scolding already.
    If you bought the Paypal protection plan you should be ok.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Okay. Everybody wins. I am stupider than Bush. Enough with the scolding already.
    I'm sorry - I aplogize because scolding was not intended. Just hate to see a fellow Treo user get ripped.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  15.    #15  
    No prob! I know I was impulsive and stupid...I went into this with my eyes open. Fortunately, I did get the PayPal protection ahead of time, so ultimately I'll probably be okay (though I am secretly hoping the auction was still legit!). Clearly, if this isn't evidence that I have a problem with gadget-addiction, nothing is...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    as far as i know paypal only protects up to $500.
    when it gets really scary is if they ask for western union.
    if i smell the least bit sketchiness i get full name, phone number and address of the person. then i reference it on google and call them and talk to them personally and record the conversation. this gives you peace of mind and court evidence in case you ever need it, which, one time i did and had a guy thrown in jail for a coupla months and fined over it. it was very satisfying but wouldnt have been possible without my data collection.
    Atually I believe it's $200 if the seller doesn't have the "You're protected up to $500" thingie under his eBay name. I still think, if you use a GOOD credit card through PayPal (Amex) you won't get hurt.

I think the bigger "fools" (no one from here I assume) are those who are paying over $300 for the Roadshow coupons. Can't these people read? Frankly, I think they will have a hard time getting the product even if they get the guys information.

I'd give THIS deal about a 40-60 chance of being legit.

Good luck to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    as far as i know paypal only protects up to $500.
    Thanks MisterEd. I guess the only helping me sleep for the next couple of nights is the fact that the seller has replied to every e-mail I've sent and is still in contact with me. My rational is that if he were ripping me off, he would never have responded? Okay, I'm reaching but like Argelius... I'm a gadget freak and need serious help!
  19.    #19  
    Perhaps an GA (Gadget Annonymous) group should be formed.

BTW, to show my humility, I've temporarily changed my Avatar. I hope it meets with everyone's approval.

Bush is still destroying our country, however...
    Argelius, I feel for you. Just last week, I received a bogus email from Verizon DSL claiming my service was going to be disconnected unless I connected to a site and filled in my personal info including credit card number, social security and PIN!?!

I called Verizon and they said they were aware of it, even though the email came from the @verizon.com.

Now, I'm incredibly skeptical of online purchases and credit card usage. I'm even wondering if these vouchers from the road shows will produce real 650's.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast