Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.win-hand.com/Treo650.htm

I just hope it really looks this good on the 650!

Mike
    Is the win-hand program any good?
  3.    #3  
    I've found it to be an excellent program. It was a little annoying with the low-res of the 600, but adjusting the resolution of the host machine helps a lot with that.

The 650 should really make a huge difference.

Network Admin types can really benefit from this program.

Mike
    what are some examples of its use for non-network admin types?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Scare the crap out of the person using the computer
  6. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    How secure is Win-Hand? I understand it's free, which makes me a bit nervous about running it on my host pc because Win- Hand ill not have any liability. Does it have something like 128bit ecryption?
    when i saw the treo 650 video on C|Net, it showed that the treo 650 came with this software built in (or something of a different name)
    Quote Originally Posted by jes
    How secure is Win-Hand? I understand it's free, which makes me a bit nervous about running it on my host pc because Win- Hand ill not have any liability. Does it have something like 128bit ecryption?
    Win-HandFree was not encrypted, but now he's released Win-HandAnywhere for free while includes MANY levels of encryption (almost to the degree of paranoia). He used to charge for this version (like $60.00, I actually paid for it about a year ago and have had no regrets). It works great. I haven't actually figured out why he's making it free now though (perhaps he's now going to get paid by Palm for including it on their devices?)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    for anyone who's had experience with both, how does WinHand compare to Palm VNC?
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I prefer VNC as an admin. The palm access is nice in a pinch, but VNC has a Windows app which is far better for remote access. I never noticed the speed difference that some boast.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    I prefer VNC as an admin. The palm access is nice in a pinch, but VNC has a Windows app which is far better for remote access. I never noticed the speed difference that some boast.
    Does PalmVNC allow access through a firewall from remote locations? The beauty of Win-Hand is that I can have it running on my server at work, and access through the Treo and my Sprint Vision from anywhere.

Mike
    What exactly is WinHand? I can't tell from the download page. Is it a resolution enhancer to make my T650 go from 320x320 to 640x640? That is what I gather from the movie, but the talk on this thread makes it sound like something else completely.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    What exactly is WinHand? I can't tell from the download page. Is it a resolution enhancer to make my T650 go from 320x320 to 640x640? That is what I gather from the movie, but the talk on this thread makes it sound like something else completely.
    Win-Hand is, for lack of a better description, remote control software for you PC. The reason the movies make it seem like a resolution enhancer is because the movie is showing a Windows desktop being displayed on the Palm screen. It's extremely handy for system admins, for obvious reasons, but it is also handy for regular people in a variety of circumstances. A couple that I can think of are:

1. Manipulating your PC when it's playing music
    2. Using Windows-only software that cannot run on a Palm (not games though - the refresh rate is too slow)
    3. Think Remote Desktop - for the Palm

I'm sure there are many other uses, but those are right off the top of my head.

The 650 will allow this software to be even better than before because of the Hi-Res screen. That will allow for a much clearer representation of the Windows environment.

Obvisouly, this software isn't for everyone, but a lot of Treo people on this board are career computer geeks like me, and this is a great piece of software.

Mike
    Funny, their website really does not make it clear what this program is or how it can be used. This thread seems to do a better job!

I am assuming that I install this on my desktop, then I can access and use my desktop remotely from the Treo. Kinda like PCAnywhere, right?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Funny, their website really does not make it clear what this program is or how it can be used. This thread seems to do a better job!

I am assuming that I install this on my desktop, then I can access and use my desktop remotely from the Treo. Kinda like PCAnywhere, right?
    Yep, the website did a much better job back when the guy was actually selling it. It was very detailed and is now very non-informative.

You're right, the basic idea is that you install the Win-Hand "server" software on your PC. During the install process, the software generates a password and account for you and emails the info to your email acount. That password unlocks the program, and allows you to finish installation. Once the PC side is done, you HotSync the Palm portion and along with a .prc file that acts as the decoder for the password that they emailed. That password must again be entered in on the Palm, and is validated by the .prc file.

Once fully installed, all you have to do is open the program on the Palm. It runs in the background on your PC. The Palm contacts the Win-Hand website. Win-Hand, in turn, contacts your computer, and your connected.

It actually works very well, and is encrypted, as was posted by someone else.

Very similar to PCAnywhere, but actually more useful in my opinion.

Mike
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Oh, I didn't realize it required software to be installed on your PC... I just assumed it allowed you to term-serv into your PC using Window's Remote Desktop....

So would I still need a VPN client on my Treo to get to my work PC, or does the server-sofware eliminate that need?
    WOW!!!

So, I can sit in starbucks, using my CDMA connection on my Treo 650 and work on my home computer from the coffeeshop? How does this contact my computer? Via DSL connection? Do I have to have a dedicated ip address for my computer? How does my Treo, sitting in Starbucks, know how to contact, access, and work off my home computer?

How AMAZING.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Oh, I didn't realize it required software to be installed on your PC... I just assumed it allowed you to term-serv into your PC using Window's Remote Desktop....

So would I still need a VPN client on my Treo to get to my work PC, or does the server-sofware eliminate that need?
    Nope, the Win-Hand software takes care of the whole thing. It operates throught the HTTP protocols so it can get aorund corporate firewalls that allow HTTP, but do not allow VPN's. That last sentence makes it sould like it can break through a firewall, but it doesn't. It must have a computer on the inside of the firewall that is running the Win-Hand software in order to work, and it will only allow Win-Hand sessions to talk through the encrypted link.

Mike
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    WOW!!!

So, I can sit in starbucks, using my CDMA connection on my Treo 650 and work on my home computer from the coffeeshop? How does this contact my computer? Via DSL connection? Do I have to have a dedicated ip address for my computer? How does my Treo, sitting in Starbucks, know how to contact, access, and work off my home computer?

How AMAZING.
    The steps that the software takes are as follows (this is very dumbed down since I am not privy to the inner workings)

1. Install Win-Hand software on your PC, leave PC running with Win-Hand in the background.
    2. Win-Hand creates a private account for you and sends you a password that you use on both the PC and Palm so that they know they are talking to the right PC's
    3. While away from your computer, at Starbucks, using your example, you connect to the Win-Hand servers using your Palm based Win-Hand client, and your cellphone Internet connection such as Sprint's Vision service.
    4. The Win-Hand servers verify your account and communicate with your PC which is running the Win-Hand server software through the HTTP protocols - just like a website.
    5. Once the connection is established, you are able to use your computer just as if you are sitting in front of it-with a little delay. It functions very much like Remote Desktop, or VNC, if you've ever used those before.

No staic IP's needed, but an always on connection to the Internet is obviously required.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by seru
    what are some examples of its use for non-network admin types?
    I use this and found it to be incredible and for one point anoyning.

First of all, with my work we have webaccess to all of our numbers through in house written websites. I am on the road a lot and Blazer or any other palm browser does not supports it. So no matter where I am I can reassign visits, do my payroll, create a new call, etc....with my desktop through my treo. Very slick.....and all my bosses found it very impressive.

The other cool thing is I have GPS watch for my young son. No palm browser supports the websites for tracking, so I use Win-Hand and I can track where he his in case of an emergency.

The anoyning thing is that if you do not have a static IP address then you have to use a another service. Pay a fee with your ISP or 3rd party service and it is fine...but any Free service you have to set up again every 30 days or so.

Other than that this is an excedible option to
    • check that spreadsheet you forgot to sync,
    • spy on who is using your computer,
    • Showing someone how to do something when they are across the country and are computer challenged,
    • As mentioned scare the crap out of someone....I did that to a co-worker who was working alone at about 3:00 am in a dark office. Start opening and closing the CD rom door, change the resolution of the screen, etc.... Then I starting to move the mouse curser, go through the start menu, start MS Word, start typing a message like "Can't you hear me?" and "Help Me" etc.... really fun if you are within screaming distance to hear them scream.
    So, in MHO, everyone should atleast take the time to set it up because will be surprised how many times for both business and personal reasons you will find yourself using it.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast