Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    [QUOTE=Goldfinger]Everything looks very well on 650. I just have a reset problem. If I enter the wrong password, or after logging off win hand, it will cause a hard reset and I will loose 2 of the 3 files to run win hand. I have to resync the files to make it work again. I think something else is interfering with the win hand software. Does anyone else have this problem?
    [QUOTE]

I had the same problem . . . had to install the two files several times. I couldn't get it to work on the storage card, but it is working fine (so far) in main memory.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    hmm, just checked this out. It's pretty neat, although I don't really know when I would use it. I'm sure something will come up when I will end up needing it. I don't understand why you can't change the password though. That is a big drawback.
    anyone else try to get this setup and not get a password emailed to you? I have set up account 3 times with three diff default email addresses within the past 2-3 days and not received password email yet?
    This program is awesome! Just the solution that I was looking for.
    I know that the site says that the program is free, but when I downloaded it the documentation says that it is a 'demo' version.
    There is something that indicates that it will only work for 200 sessions. Does anyone know if this is correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by perret
    This program is awesome! Just the solution that I was looking for.
    I know that the site says that the program is free, but when I downloaded it the documentation says that it is a 'demo' version.
    There is something that indicates that it will only work for 200 sessions. Does anyone know if this is correct?
    I have had a similar problem. Periodically the program expires, and I have to re-download it and reinstall all over again. It always seems to happen when I am travelling, and then I can no longer access my desktop. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to RIGHT-CLICK the mouse button with this app?
    I've run into the same right-click issue. It took a while of playing around with it, but if you click the calendar button twice (on Treo 650), you will notice that the right mouse button is shaded so the next screen tap while in this mode would be a right click on what you tap on.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by perret; 01/03/2005 at 04:04 PM.
    I'll answer a few questions and then ask one.

As far as 200 uses: the desktop client generates 200 "keys". A copy of these keys is put in a .prc that you sync to your Treo. Every time you connect to your desktop using your Treo, one of these keys is used up. When you're getting low, right click on the Win-Hand icon, click "Settings", then "Properties", "Edit Keys" and finally "Generate Keys". This will generate 200 new keys which will by loaded onto your Treo at next Hotsync and also loaded into the client app.

To right click: hit the phone button repeatedly to cycle through mouse buttons.

Now a question: Is there any application that allows you to HotSych remotely? I saw the question asked earlier, and I thought it was worth asking again. This seems like a great feature, especially if you're worried about your battery while you're away from a charger. A quick sych will ensure that you're covered if you're batt dies.
    Last edited by splufdaddy; 01/05/2005 at 12:04 AM. Reason: corrected wrong info
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    I'll answer a few questions and then ask one.

As far as 200 uses: the desktop client generates 200 "keys". A copy of these keys is put in a .prc that you sync to your Treo. Every time you connect to your desktop using your Treo, one of these keys is used up. When you're getting low, right click on the Win-Hand icon, click "Settings", then "Properties", "Edit Keys" and finally "Generate Keys". This will generate 200 new keys which will by loaded onto your Treo at next Hotsync and also loaded into the client app.
    Thank you, that worked fine. I was hoping I didn't have to reinstall etc..

Regarding the remote hotsync, there is a product (that I haven't tried) call Mergic VPN. It can be found here http://www.mergic.com/vpnHotSync.php
    I haven't had a chance to try it, but its on my 'to do' list. If you have a chance to test it out, please let us know if it works for you.
    Okay... I got this working and its awsome! Only issue I have is that when my XP machine goes into screen saver mode (where you have to log back in) the server will not accept a connection. Anyone know a way around this?
    Ok am i doing something wrong? I hotsynced all the necessary files but when I type the password on my Treo it doesnt do anything but clears the password and asks for it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    Okay... I got this working and its awsome! Only issue I have is that when my XP machine goes into screen saver mode (where you have to log back in) the server will not accept a connection. Anyone know a way around this?
    Win-hand will turn your screen dark and display a password box (that moves around the screen) after 15 minutes (or time amount you set). I turned off my Windows screensaver and now just use the Win-Hand screen saver. The Win-Hand screensaver/pw box does not interfere with using Win-Hand from your Palm/Treo.

BTW, the password for your Win-Hand PC screensaver box is set by you and is not the funky password that is emailed to you.
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    YESSSSS.....I am very surprised and pleased that there is something in the mobile division for the equivalent of VNC, PCAnywhere, MS TS, etc

This piece of software alone will make me purchase the 650...they just need to fix the most basic feature (phone quality) amongst other things. And i will be the first in line for the GSM model.

Wouldn't this be pricey though since it will continually be tranferring data?
    sorry to stray from the win-hand topic... however... I've had my Treo 650 since mid-December - Sprint/Chicago - just wanted to mention that not one person has mentioned anything about not hearing me, static, noise or anything like that. Maybe I'm not as picky or just lucky with the phone (knock on wood).

To answer the question about pricing.
    Well depends on your carrier - Sprint unlimited data $10 or $15 per month - not pricey. I think T-Mo has $20 per month. So I guess it depends on your carrier and your definition of pricey.
    Last edited by davidrmay; 01/06/2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: answer the question
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrmay
    sorry to stray from the win-hand topic... however... I've had my Treo 650 since mid-December - Sprint/Chicago - just wanted to mention that not one person has mentioned anything about not hearing me, static, noise or anything like that. Maybe I'm not as picky or just lucky with the phone (knock on wood).
    ah thanks for the feedback
    I just read in a couple of places that people are complaining about voice degradation on the receiving end from their side. I really hope it is not so for the CDMA users and soon to come GSM users.

This is very important to me cause I will be using this as a phone FIRST and foremost, as i will be eliminating my existing phone and therefore replace with two devices (Phone and PDA).
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrmay
    Win-hand will turn your screen dark and display a password box (that moves around the screen) after 15 minutes (or time amount you set). I turned off my Windows screensaver and now just use the Win-Hand screen saver. The Win-Hand screensaver/pw box does not interfere with using Win-Hand from your Palm/Treo.

BTW, the password for your Win-Hand PC screensaver box is set by you and is not the funky password that is emailed to you.
    Thanks for the answer! I'll try out diabling the XP screensaver and password and hopefully it works! This is a pretty awesome tool.
    I haven't been able to get on the server all day today. Is anyone else having this problem?
    I'm beginning to lose faith in Win-Hand. I originally purchased it (when it was the paid version), but now that it's free, I'm ready to give up on it. It seems like there is an update almost every day, and it just seems to quit working until you install the update. It also seemed to freeze my computer today. I'm still wondering about my computer being hacked into because of this program. Even if the developer is honest, what if someone hacks into his 'server' and gets all our info?
    There's still a level of protection if the Win-Hand server is hacked. The Win-Hand client on your desktop has a set of 200 encryption keys. To log in to your computer from the Win-Hand server, you need one of those keys (and not just any one, the one at the top of the list). Your Treo has these keys via a synched .prc. Someone hacking into the server would still need a key to get into your machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by splufdaddy
    There's still a level of protection if the Win-Hand server is hacked. The Win-Hand client on your desktop has a set of 200 encryption keys. To log in to your computer from the Win-Hand server, you need one of those keys (and not just any one, the one at the top of the list). Your Treo has these keys via a synched .prc. Someone hacking into the server would still need a key to get into your machine.
    Ah, but your assuming the programmer didn't program in a back door code. The program is not Open Source, so he could set the program up to function any way he desires........
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast