Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

The anoyning thing is that if you do not have a static IP address then you have to use a another service. Pay a fee with your ISP or 3rd party service and it is fine...but any Free service you have to set up again every 30 days or so.
    Hobbes, I have not found there to be any issue with the current release and static IP's. I have DSL, without a static IP, and have not had a problem. Granted, I have not been using the current version for very long, but I so far have not needed a static IP with the current version.

Is there something that I'm missing that makes it require a static IP?

Mike
    so, it is more like gotomypc?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    Hobbes, I have not found there to be any issue with the current release and static IP's. I have DSL, without a static IP, and have not had a problem. Granted, I have not been using the current version for very long, but I so far have not needed a static IP with the current version.

Is there something that I'm missing that makes it require a static IP?

Mike
    My summer months are really slow, so the last version I used was back in June. Since I am getting ready to use it again, I am glad this is no longer an annoying issue.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    so, it is more like gotomypc?
    I haven't used GoToMyPC, but I think it's a similar idea. There is no charge for this though. GoToMyPC charges a monthly fee.

Mike
    I see that Win-Hand has a new version 5.0.5 out. Anyone know what the enhancements are?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Grindell
    I see that Win-Hand has a new version 5.0.5 out. Anyone know what the enhancements are?
    Good catch! That's two updates in about a week. I can't find anything about what the differences are, but I'm downloading it now.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by KKenna
    I prefer VNC as an admin. The palm access is nice in a pinch, but VNC has a Windows app which is far better for remote access. I never noticed the speed difference that some boast.

Does Palm VNC permit full remote access like PC Anywhere?
    Why do you feel that VNC's Window app is "better?"
    Have you used the product to remoretly control through a Window's computer?

The info will be very helpful and save me the trouble of installing to check it out. Thanks.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Grindell
    The first thing I see is that the Win-Hand server application actually has a dialog box that show it checking for connectivity before it sends the app to the clock tray.
    I personaly think the reason that it is free and that email is used for activation would make your win-hand server open to the writer of win-hand.
    He could then access your server as well. I would consider the possiblity that this could be a TROJAN program.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pierreb
    I personaly think the reason that it is free and that email is used for activation would make your win-hand server open to the writer of win-hand.
    He could then access your server as well. I would consider the possiblity that this could be a TROJAN program.
    That is actually not very likely. The way the software is configured it uses a two way encryption scheme that requires the Palm device and the Win-Hand Remote (that's the part on the computer you want to control) to have the same keys. You actually have to HotSync the keys into the Palm device. You cannot add them manually, and each key is only used once.

I know this scheme works because I actually had a tough time getting the keys to match when I switched host machines.

This particular program has garnered a lot of praise in the Palm community, and I doubt that would be the case if their was a chance of it not being legit. It's been around for quite some time.

Mike
    Seems like a really cool program but I have no idea when I'd ever use it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    That is actually not very likely. The way the software is configured it uses a two way encryption scheme that requires the Palm device and the Win-Hand Remote (that's the part on the computer you want to control) to have the same keys. You actually have to HotSync the keys into the Palm device. You cannot add them manually, and each key is only used once.

I know this scheme works because I actually had a tough time getting the keys to match when I switched host machines.

This particular program has garnered a lot of praise in the Palm community, and I doubt that would be the case if their was a chance of it not being legit. It's been around for quite some time.

Mike
    He could have still programmed in a secret master key that overrides the 2 key encryption. Unless the code is open source, we'll never know. Fortunately, the developer has received a lot of praise, and I'm thinking (hoping) the reason he is making it free is because he is making a deal with PalmOne
    The PalmOne guys had this on their Treo's at the Roadshow....do you think they would be carrying around programs that were TROJAN programs?
    So I have a little wanna be LAN at home with about 3 computers that I'd be interested in connecting to(NATed through a Linksys router).

From the posts that I have read preceding this one, It sounds like the program creates a unique account/key per computer.

From this information, I am assuming (and viably making an @$$ out of myself) that I could potential install this software on all three computers and be able to control them from my Treo 600 without any headache. Does the client software allow you to switch accounts easily?

If this is correct, I would happily put VNC aside. VNC requires alot of port forwarding work, and if you even want to have access to two machines on the the NATed you're a bit SOL (as it's far from easy).

on the down side, I have not heard anything about server side scaling for this app.
    Another thing is we all know who wrote this program.

If he ever used it as a trojan horse and it was discovered (which I'm sure people could do) then it would be plastered over the internet like crazy and he'd definitely get dealt with. Trojan horses need to be stealthy.

I think it would probably easier to just use something like subseven or write a real trojan horse or something.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey
    So I have a little wanna be LAN at home with about 3 computers that I'd be interested in connecting to(NATed through a Linksys router).

From the posts that I have read preceding this one, It sounds like the program creates a unique account/key per computer.

From this information, I am assuming (and viably making an @$$ out of myself) that I could potential install this software on all three computers and be able to control them from my Treo 600 without any headache. Does the client software allow you to switch accounts easily?

If this is correct, I would happily put VNC aside. VNC requires alot of port forwarding work, and if you even want to have access to two machines on the the NATed you're a bit SOL (as it's far from easy).

on the down side, I have not heard anything about server side scaling for this app.
    The short answer is, yes, you can use it pretty much as you describe. You'll just give each computer its own number. For instance, I have a work computer and a home computer on the same account. I have one listed as connection 1 and the other as connection 2. Piece of cake. The host computers just need to have access to the Internet.

Mike
    Thanks for the info. I will test it out and let you guys know how it all goes.
    Last edited by Blademonkey; 11/03/2004 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Needed a cool Smiley face
    Wow! This program is amazing. It is also surprisingly fast!!!
    I now have full access to my PC. In fact, I found that I can connect to my computer and surf the internet on my PC's DSL line fully, and with a fraction of the delay of using Blazer. I'm not sure if I'll even need Blazer again!
    Last edited by GalenMD; 11/03/2004 at 06:32 PM.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Wow! This program is amazing. It is also surprisingly fast!!!
    I now have full access to my PC. In fact, I found that I can connect to my computer and surf the internet on my PC's DSL line fully, and with a fraction of the delay of using Blazer. I'm not sure if I'll even need Blazer again!
    I told you guys!

The only problem is making your way around the screen. You can improve that if you're willing to have a lower resoultion on your PC, but I can't stand that myself. The 650's Hi-Res screen should help a lot though. Lots more real estate to deal with.

Mike
    Guys,

As far as the net is concerned, there's no such thing as a free lunch, nevermind a server. Won't last forever.

That's why I like palmVNC. My computer is my server. Just punch a hole in my router for 5900, run the app and I'm in.

Wouldn't it be slower to connect to a heavily used server to connect to your desktop? That's one huge thing VNC will have when winhand gets big. Trust me. Look at webpro.

Anyway. Ever needed to access an old email? Too many times, exactly what these programs exist for.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast