1.    #1  
    I am planning to purchase a GSM 650 as it is available. I will break my contract with verizon which in my opinion has great service in the Orange County area. Im stuck on which GSM provider i should go with. I heard that in So Cal t-mobile uses cingular towers. Is this true? if so does that mean that T-mobile customers will have EDGE service due to using the ATT/Cingular towers? Im just want as much info as i can get before i spend money with a different carrier. THANKs in advance
    yes, t-mobile uses cingular tower BUT they're taking over all california tower for over 2 billion dollars, tmobile's EDGE won't be up till the middle of next year
    and cingular will get attws tower instead

http://tinyurl.com/3jq3n that's the press release
  3.    #3  
    THANKS wolwol
    you're welcome OC
    Quote Originally Posted by OC RYDAH
    I am planning to purchase a GSM 650 as it is available. I will break my contract with verizon which in my opinion has great service in the Orange County area. Im stuck on which GSM provider i should go with. I heard that in So Cal t-mobile uses cingular towers. Is this true? if so does that mean that T-mobile customers will have EDGE service due to using the ATT/Cingular towers? Im just want as much info as i can get before i spend money with a different carrier. THANKs in advance
    Hello, I live in Orange County as well and currently have my Treo with Cingular, I had Cingular for about 8 years now, I tried T-Mobile but because they limit the length of SMS incomming messages I had to leave them, but I still have the T-Mobile account and I have spouse phone with Sprint Smasung PDA i330. I used to have a strong connection with Cingular through Rep I got who worked in the Office of the President and she would give me a great deal of useful info. When T-Mobile first came to So Cal they had no lines of their own, they leased from Cingular and shared actual lines. T-mobile did this huge marketing, dirt cheap campaign and pissed of Cingular because it tied up lines badly and pissed of many customers. Cingular then restricted their, T-mobiles access and service returned to normal. this was about 3 or 4 years ago and I am not sure of the status now. I would be surprised if T-Mobile didn't have towers of their own by now. I don't know on your Edge question, if I still had that Cingular connection I could maybe help you, but I don't. If you know Cingular will have Edge, why consider T-mobile.

I am moving all accounts to Cingular, in this area they provide the best service. I know Verizon has very good service here, but I need the world capability. I hate my Sprint service here.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks CGLAGUNA. Prior to the merger I wanted T-mobile because I have friends that have had both cingular and tmobile and i heard Cingular was pretty bad. I guess the merger will help and also I wouldnt mind the EDGE!
    i'm using tmobile
    works great
    OC RYDAH, you might want to head over to howardforums.com for cellphones info & their providers
    At best, T-Mobile is EQUAL to Cingular because of the tower sharing in California for the time being.

However, choose Cingular. Cingular allows home-on-home roaming in all their markets which allow you to pick up Cingular service first (using AT&T towers now that we're post-merger), then you'll pick up T-Mobile towers. T-Mobile only allows roaming where they have no license to sell service. T-Mobile's nationwide network as a whole is pretty poor, and while there may be some areas in which T-Mobile gets better service than Cingular (I'm sure these places exist, but I haven't found them yet), Cingular has a much larger nationwide network and utilizes the 850mhz band as T-Mobile does not (which will severely limit your nationwide coverage).

The only thing T-Mobile has over Cingular, or any other provider for that matter, is customer service. T-Mobile has the best customer service, hands down. But in choosing a service provider, go with Cingular. Furthermore, On "Day One" and beyond when Cingular and AT&T operate as one company (even though the merger is complete, this day won't happen until sometime in November/December), Cingular will adopt AT&T Wireless's old 30-day buyer's remorse cancellation policy in which you can cancel without penalty within 30 days instead of T-Mobile's 14.

I hope this helps.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.