Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Nice. Now I see why those are special.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    What about the sound quality issue? We all know they know about that. Will they release a patch for it?
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    all carriers? VZW??
    Palmone's def going to be there. the SVP of marketing is going to be one of the people representing palmone
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    ya someone ask abotu the sound and the bluetooth mute unmute problem. Those are the main problems. ASK ABOUT FAISALS PATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a software engineer and have been working in large companies for years. There is tremendous pressure to never admit to the presence of bugs. We all know that they're there, but a company will not admit to them readily in the consumer marketplace. The modus operandi for getting bug fixes out to end users is to offer an 'upgrade'. This upgrade, of course, has bug fixes in it, but they're not documented. So, this patch that P1 has on deck and is already calling an upgrade because it adds BlueTooth DUN may very well fix many other issues. I will not be surprised if the headset mute/unmute debacle, as well as numerous other issues simply disappear after the upgrade (patch).
    Quote Originally Posted by Asystole
    ....I will not be surprised if the headset mute/unmute debacle, as well as numerous other issues simply disappear after the upgrade (patch).
    And many new issues (read bugs) appear.
    Very true
    did anyone have a chance to talk to the p1 guys about the sluggishness and delays that often occur right after you hit dial, but before it actually does the dialing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asystole
    I am a software engineer and have been working in large companies for years. There is tremendous pressure to never admit to the presence of bugs. We all know that they're there, but a company will not admit to them readily in the consumer marketplace. The modus operandi for getting bug fixes out to end users is to offer an 'upgrade'. This upgrade, of course, has bug fixes in it, but they're not documented. So, this patch that P1 has on deck and is already calling an upgrade because it adds BlueTooth DUN may very well fix many other issues. I will not be surprised if the headset mute/unmute debacle, as well as numerous other issues simply disappear after the upgrade (patch).
    What are you talking about. MOST software has updates, like from 3.1 to 3.1.1 etc and in the release notes of these updates they document known issues, and what's fixed in this release. This is pretty standard, I'm sure you've come across what I'm talking about.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    .....Next up was one of the presenters he said P1 is basically done with the ROM upgrade and waiting for Sprint to QA. He said they'll probably PRPRPR $it$ $as$ $a$ $fix$ $for$ $the$ $BT$ $DUN$ $not$ $bug$ $fixes$. $He$ $said$ $a$ "minority" of users were having problems and most of them were P1 employees b/c they tend to have more apps loaded than typical customers. Next up was the customer service rep the last guy suggested I talk to. His news was most distressing of all. The ROM update addresses only the 512 byte addressing issue, not any crash problems! P1 doesn't believe they have a crash problem and said the 3rd party developers need to update their code. He said they were working w/ PalmSource & the developers of the top 100 incompatables on the Treo Central list. All three were sure to mention about the 128M SD card offer....
    Does anyone else get a sinking feeling when reading this? I think our friends at PalmOne are trying to tell us that there just aren't any problems with their machine, and any problems you experience are because you are putting too much stuff on it or using "old" software. Tell me, if the memory is such a minor little problem for a small minority of users, why are they fixing it? Huh? And why are they so quick to throw 128MB cards at the nonexistant problem? And why did they change the thing so that all the old Palm software don't work with it anymore, and then say it is the software developers' fault?

Reminds me of a bunch of spoiled children who have never been taught to take responsibility for their actions. I'm pretty worried about all this. Don't think it bodes well for the future.....
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Does anyone else get a sinking feeling when reading this? I think our friends at PalmOne are trying to tell us that there just aren't any problems with their machine, and any problems you experience are because you are putting too much stuff on it or using "old" software. Tell me, if the memory is such a minor little problem for a small minority of users, why are they fixing it? Huh?
    Oh, with all the stellar hardware PalmOne has recently released, they must have a bunch of engineers just sitting around because there's not much more to invent or improve in PalmOne handhelds. So they threw them a bone: "oh, when you guys find some time between foosball, could you play around with trying to get a little more memory beyond 16MB out of the Treo 650? Just for s#1ts and giggles, of course...".

It's good to keep engineers' minds busy.

After all, here's what PalmOne has stated is their policy on Treo memory - (and I quote): "palmOne has no plans that I am aware of that will increase the amount of available memory in our smart phones. If you need additional memory for these devices to store additional programs or additional data, you can purchase SD memory cards that can expand your memory 128Mb, 256Mb, or even 512Mb. This is beyond current needs for any smart phone and should serve you well during the lifetime of the smart phone."
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Now HERE'S a scary thought!

...waiting for Sprint to QA.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    So do all of us need to go to the P! site and send comments to them about our problems. Just to make sure that they KNOW? I have, ASSUMED, that they monitor this site and know what the problems are. I gues I'm gonna go give them a write up. It's the only way for me to KNOW, that they KNOW, what I am seeing and how much it bothers me as a customer.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Where did you see this quote? I've never seen this before.

I have to wonder about the borderline hatred I seen to see in post here about P1 and the 650. Do you own one? I have one and I don't think the memory issue is nearly as bad as some here are making it out to be. If you don't own one, then great don't buy one. That's the most effective message you can send to P1.

Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Oh, with all the stellar hardware PalmOne has recently released, they must have a bunch of engineers just sitting around because there's not much more to invent or improve in PalmOne handhelds. So they threw them a bone: "oh, when you guys find some time between foosball, could you play around with trying to get a little more memory beyond 16MB out of the Treo 650? Just for s#1ts and giggles, of course...".

It's good to keep engineers' minds busy.

After all, here's what PalmOne has stated is their policy on Treo memory - (and I quote): "palmOne has no plans that I am aware of that will increase the amount of available memory in our smart phones. If you need additional memory for these devices to store additional programs or additional data, you can purchase SD memory cards that can expand your memory 128Mb, 256Mb, or even 512Mb. This is beyond current needs for any smart phone and should serve you well during the lifetime of the smart phone."
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    So do all of us need to go to the P! site and send comments to them about our problems. Just to make sure that they KNOW? I have, ASSUMED, that they monitor this site and know what the problems are. I gues I'm gonna go give them a write up. It's the only way for me to KNOW, that they KNOW, what I am seeing and how much it bothers me as a customer.
    nope, at the P1 roadshow Joe Fabris openly stated that they pay people to read Treo related discussion boards. What a job huh!!!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    He said a "minority" of users were having problems and most of them were P1 employees b/c they tend to have more apps loaded than typical customers.ERic

So their own employees cannot effectively use a product they built... uhhhhhh....and they don't think this is important. yikes!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    What are you talking about. MOST software has updates, like from 3.1 to 3.1.1 etc and in the release notes of these updates they document known issues, and what's fixed in this release. This is pretty standard, I'm sure you've come across what I'm talking about.
    I have to second the previous poster. Not all unacknowledged bugs that are fixed make the release notes. In fact, very few of them ever do.

If you believe that release notes tell all, then you really need a reality check.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Where did you see this quote? I've never seen this before.

I have to wonder about the borderline hatred I seen to see in post here about P1 and the 650. Do you own one? I have one and I don't think the memory issue is nearly as bad as some here are making it out to be. If you don't own one, then great don't buy one. That's the most effective message you can send to P1.

I don't hate PalmOne or anybody else, but they aren't listening very well to their customers 'cept for those that tell them they are doing everything just fine. We all KNOW they have a patch for the sound stuff and now they won't acknowledge that there is such a problem? And none of the crashes are their fault? That's pushing it a little, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    nope, at the P1 roadshow Joe Fabris openly stated that they pay people to read Treo related discussion boards. What a job huh!!!
    Where do I sign up for this????
    I totally agree. P1 is out of touch with reality if they thought offering a product with less memory would bode well with end-users; which is why they are offering the free 128MB upgrades. But I guess some people just don't mind paying for less memory or don't find having more memory really necessary.

As far as "bugs" are concerned: Every new product has bugs, but to go as far as to not acknowledging them or playing the perpetual blame-game is simply dishonest. P1 should recognized constructive criticism, and make the Treo a better product. No one, except competitors and people like SV want the Treo to fail, but if P1 doesn't listen to their consumers it will.
    Last edited by JQPublic; 01/07/2005 at 04:59 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast