1.    #1  
    This may have been explained before, but why is wi-fi such a big deal with the Treo??? I'm assuming people are looking for wi-fi connectivity as a way for them to access the internet from wi-fi hot spots or from a wireless network from home - but why???

I have the Sprint Treo 600 with vision and I have access to the internet from wherever I am - not just home or at a wi-fi hot spot. I barely pay anything extra for this unlimited access (I think it's $15 bucks a month), whereas if I had to depend on wi-fi hot spots I'd be spending a fortune accessing the net.

Can someone please fill me in????
    Speed, mainly. Not a dealbreaker for me but would be nice to have the option.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Sure.

Reason 1. Wifi is infintely faster than 1xrtt. So at the office/home/hotspot surfing is a joy. Also, getting good signal inside is not an issue.

Reason 2. Not everyone has all you can eat data, in fact most treo users do not.

Reason 3. The treo aspires to be a cutting edge device. Cutting edge devices support wifi.

There are many more but those are the most prevalent imo.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Sure.

Reason 1. Wifi is infintely faster than 1xrtt. So at the office/home/hotspot surfing is a joy. Also, getting good signal inside is not an issue.

Reason 2. Not everyone has all you can eat data, in fact most treo users do not.

Reason 3. The treo aspires to be a cutting edge device. Cutting edge devices support wifi.

There are many more but those are the most prevalent imo.

-rob
    But isn't it true that a lot of the speed issue has to do with the Treo processor and not the network? I understand that a big chunk of the sluggishness of blazer is related to the processor not being able to process the data fast enough as it comes in. I am pretty sure this is true because I use the Treo as a modem for my laptop and it works infinitely faster in that capacity.
    Not completely true.

A sony ux50, which has a slower processer than the 650, absokutely rips on a wifi connection. Same holds true for the tungsten c.

Also, latency does not plague most wifi connections like it does with vision.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    GPRS data rates in malaysia are HIGH (and no unlimited plans)! Wifi is free or cheap and all over Kuala Lumpur. Trying a T|C and it's FAST!
    Banoo... what's that smell?
    I read that Sprint is coming out with a Wi FI card for the 650.
    They have to create drivers or something because of radio interference.

I agree with all of Robber's points, those are exactly the reasons I am disappointed the Treo as yet has no capabilities. If we can use a WiFi card, then I'll be very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by stratus
    I read that Sprint is coming out with a Wi FI card for the 650.
    I've read it both ways. No, then Yes, and then No again.

I think PalmOne is filling us with BS on WiFi. How do all the PPC units do it? And if it's a radio issue, can't we just TURN THE PHONE RADIO OFF when using the WiFi card??? how stupid do they think we are. It's BS people, they can make it work!
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    yes they can probably make it work and they probably will. If you read all of the interviews that have been posted, you get the distinct impression that some P1 types were suprised by the reaction to no wi-fi, low memory and disabled BT DUN. They have since been backtracking on the wi-fi and BT DUN issues which are ones they can probably fix. More memory will probably have to wait for the 650 1.2
    Ok, So if we all want WiFi is there a way we can start a petition for a WiFi driver for the 650? Or some way to make them know that a lot of people want it. Come on people think..!

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Banoo
    GPRS data rates in malaysia are HIGH (and no unlimited plans)! Wifi is free or cheap and all over Kuala Lumpur. Trying a T|C and it's FAST!
    Have to agree with you on that , I am using T|E with Airzed (althought some hotspots are free)...GPRS cost is too high , ouch , Maxis GPRS Rate is killing me....I have to agree there is no MediaWorks (or some other plan in here) like in the US
    If you live in Canada data rates are a ripoff from Rogers

Data Service Plan Monthly Fee Data Included Additional MB Data Rate

Lite $25 3 MB $10/MB
    Plus $40 7 MB $6/MB
    Max $60 15 MB $5/MB
    Data 100 $100 100 MB $3/MB

**This really starts to get expensive sending mail with captures, downloading weather with images or just trying to use the capabilities of the phone, with wireless I can update at home or when I am travelling through airports no problem...I am always updating currencys and weather as well as pages to read...thsi was one of the main reasons I bought a peg ux50 was for the wireless
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    This may have been explained before, but why is wi-fi such a big deal with the Treo??? I'm assuming people are looking for wi-fi connectivity as a way for them to access the internet from wi-fi hot spots or from a wireless network from home - but why???

I have the Sprint Treo 600 with vision and I have access to the internet from wherever I am - not just home or at a wi-fi hot spot. I barely pay anything extra for this unlimited access (I think it's $15 bucks a month), whereas if I had to depend on wi-fi hot spots I'd be spending a fortune accessing the net.

I work at A Trucking Company Managing the IT section, I Quite often work in our shop area & at the warehouses ALL big METAL buildings where the signal is very weak. I have WiFi Installed in all these locations have used WiFi Enabled Palms or Pocket Pc's for Accessing Inventory check location of Trucks/Drivers Pulling up files from our Main system etc. I would Love to be able to do this with the 650 ....
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim

All of the reasons cited in previous replies are the current reasons that yield practical and real benefits. Another reason for wi-fi on a wireless phone is that it could lead to a Skype type VOIP application being written that bypasses the carriers' networks completely.

What does this mean? No wireless carrier minutes usage for voice or data. Wi-fi is becoming more and more prevalent. Entire cities are creating W-Fi "clouds" covering their entire cites as a means of becoming more competitive in the market place. Good quality VOIP over Wi-Fi on a smartphone destroys the market for a wireless carrier. We are several years from this type of scenario. Wi-Fi needs to become even more ubiquitous and the quality of VOIP on a handheld would need to be dramatically improved. It is easy to understand why the carriers would insist that any smartphone they sell have Wi-Fi disabled. And the primary source for phones in the market place is through carriers because of subsidy contracts.