Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Don't beleive me...
    What do you think the"G" if for Galaxy!
    Hopefully Gfunk will return, he's a real asset (no, not just his avatar) to the TC community!

Speaking of assets, I like his avatar too.
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    what's the difference in JOVE and JOV3?
    More civility and no profanity in his/hers (i'm guessing his) posts.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Isn't that party over yet
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Given the time it looks like he was making his last post to TreoCentral ON his Treo and got discoed - (while driving home from somewhere?):

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=29

Umm... no, I'm very much alive and kicking thank you! But, I have done that before! hehe...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    Am pretty much decided on the Treo 650 upgrade but I am still swayed a bit towards the PDA2K (except for the exurbetant price) until I realize a number of pro-PDA2K posts here are from trolls, except Farzon.

I look forward to Gfunks review

Hey Treo Rat! Thanks for the vote of confidence in my opinion! I haven't posted recently b/c I've in the mist of studing for my boards and interviews etc! But I definitely will post my views shortly! Overall, I think I will still go with the Treo 650 eventually, but I'm not sure I will be an early adopter this time. I also was considering getting the Axim X50v and pairing it with the Treo via BT... will post more later here...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey Treo Rat! Thanks for the vote of confidence in my opinion! I haven't posted recently b/c I've in the mist of studing for my boards and interviews etc! But I definitely will post my views shortly! Overall, I think I will still go with the Treo 650 eventually, but I'm not sure I will be an early adopter this time. I also was considering getting the Axim X50v and pairing it with the Treo via BT... will post more later here...
    Good to see ya back! Hope your studying has been going well
    Welcome back! Glad you're ok, some of us were worried...

Isn't it nice to be missed?

fp
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    Which boads are you studying for?
    boards of ho-ology based on the pics he posts. not that that's a bad thing. Dang, I just didn't have that kinda of motivation to achieve like this guy
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Thanks guys!

Anyway, I'm gonna try to be at the Chicago Treo Roadshow tomorrow, after which I hope to have a much better idea and impression of the Ace. But prior to that, having read all the specs and information about the Treo 650, I have come to a few pre-conclusions (is that a real word like 'misunderestimated' ). Alot seems to have been said of certain missing features and below is a brief synopsis of what I feel are forgiveable and unforgiveable omissions on the Treo 650 and also what I like about it.

First the forgiveable ommisions:

* 32 MB of Ram: As described on Treocentral's front page, there is actually 64 MB of ram on the Treo 650. It's just that there the 32 MB SDRAM and 32 MB of Flash memory are constantly kept in insync so as prevent loss of data with power loss. For all those who say 32 MB is not enough (23 MB user accessible), using the current setup PalmOne would have had to use 128 MB or ram ( 64 MB SDRAM and 64 MB Nand) in order to have 64 MB for the user. I realize that many PPC's have this arrangement, but it evidently would have significantly increased the cost of the Treo 650 which would have not have helped Treo sales to say the least. Another arguement would be for PalmOne to not use Nand backup storage at all, but this is a bad idea for a smartphone imo and believe PalmOne was smart in implemeting this feature. I personally would much rather have 32 MB of 'safe' data on my Treo rather than 64 MB MB of volitile ram that would lose it's data every time the battery died. Also, I don't believe it would have been possible for the Treo to have a replaceable battery w/o the NVFS architecture...

* No integrated wifi: Yes I know this is a bane of many hardcore Treo users here (mine too), but if you think about it, it may have been for the best. First of all, as I've mentioned many times in the past, it is my contention that PalmOne may want to wait to integrate tri-wireless (BT+wifi+GSM/CDMA) functionality into a Cobalt based device. The reasoning behind this is that Cobalt is necessary for the seamless wireless switching functionality that is found in other devices like the h6300 etc. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $is$ $NOT$ $possible$ $with$ $Garnet$ ($OS$ $5$.$x$) $based$ $devices$. $Furthermore$, $it$ $is$ $Cobalt$ $that$ $supports$ $automatic$ $NAND$ $automatic$ $backusps$ ($NVFS$) $and$ $standard$ $WiFi$ $and$ Bluetooth v1.2 implementation. Recall that PalmSource lisenced BT 1.2 for Cobalt only, and thus PalmOne could not have used this in the Ace. Furthermore, I doubt PalmOne would or could implement tir-wireless w/o BT 1.2 anyway...

** No Bt Ver 1.2 support: As I stated above, this is an issue with Palmsource, not PalmOne. BT 1.2 is not supported with Garnet, and thus you can't really blame them for not using it.

* Loss of old Treo Connector: I know also of users will dislike this b/c it means all their old accessories won't work and may even claim that this is some kind of sinister plot by P1 to gauge customers into buying even more accessories. I initally thought that too, but it makes sense. The old Treo connector was three generations old! It was a legacy interface that had to be updated, and I welcome it especially if it means there will be more interesting and varied accessories for the Athena (multi-connector) interface. One of the main advantages of the multiconnector is the increase multimedia capabilities. I think it would be cool if there was an accessory for example that could directly connect the Ace to a TV/monitor via the Athena! Furthermore, with the T5 and future PalmOne devices using the multiconnector, there should be alot more accessories in the future...

Okay, now for what I consider Unforgiveable ommisions or problems with the Treo 650:

* No SD wifi driver support: WTF is up with that. Not integrating wifi into the Treo is one thing, but why not offer a working SD wifi card as an accessory for those who wish to use it?!! Furthermore, the confusion and conflicting noises out of PalmOne whether and if they will ever offer these drivers is extremely un-nerving. Why the hell can't PalmOne figure out the importance of wifi in the smartphone/pda market?!! Are they in some sort of freaking denial? Sheesh! The lack of integrated wifi on the T5 and the possible lack of any working SD wifi drivers for the Treo 650 are probably the two biggest blunders that PalmOne has made in a looong time. If they were not going to integrate wifi into the Treo, then they should have made it a priority to make sure the SD wifi card would be an available option accessory. PalmOne having to backtrack and make half-hearted statements after media criticism is NOT a good sign imo...

* VGA Camera: I realize many people don't really care about the camera, but I think this is blunder on PalmOne's part. It seems now that P1 had initially planned on using a 1.3 MP cam, but changed it's mind after internal testing. I realize picture quality depends on alot more than just MP's (it also depends on the sensor, lens, software etc), and thus should not be simplified in just those terms. However, for the price of the Treo 650 ($600), a 0.3 MP VGA camera is definitely a weakness when compared to other camera phones. It nice that that Treo 650 cam will be able to take pics better in low light, but it still is not adequate for such an expensive phone.

* Crippled DUN BT profile on Sprint Treo: This really pisses me off regardless of when if ever Sprint decides to "uncripple" the DUN profile. Waiting for such an update would be like waiting for the cows to come home. Anyone who recalls the time it took for Sprint to rollout MO-SMS can relate. I just don't trust Sprint release an update in a timely fashion, sorry...

* Lack of integrated voice recorder: It's great that there's soo many 3rd party solutions like Soundrec out there that fill this void, but PalmOne really should have bundled a VR app out the box for this functionality. It just makes to sense to me why they did not.

* Lack of Voice command/dialing: Again, this is supposed to be a high-end phone right?!! Can you image buying any other high end mobile for almost $600 USD that did not have integrated voice dialing. I know Treocentral is reporting that PalmOne will be bundling a trialware of VoiceSignal's Voice Dialer, but this is a cheap and weak solution. This is feature that should not have to be bought via 3rd party addon software. PalmOne and Palm before it have for a very looong time used as an excuse the arguement that bundling/integrating new apps/features would only hurt 3rd party developers. But this is just a specious arguement by PalmOne not not add value-added features to their devices. Anyone who owns a Treo 600 can tell you the number of apps they had to buy to make the Treo 600 do things that is just should have been able to do out the box (i.e, having to buy DTG, download audio player, etc). PalmOne did a fantastic job bundling such excellent apps like full DTG7, Versamail etc, that I had hoped they would have done the same with the Voice dialer app...

* Lack of bundled J2ME in Rom: This really sucks if true, and so far I can't really find any info to confrim otherwise. I was really hoping PalmOne would integrate the WebSphere J2ME into Rom so as to make the use of midlets like Webviewer etc easier and simpler to use. Alas, this does not seem to be and with only 23 MB of user accessble ram, it will make things just as difficult if not more-so than on the Treo 600! ARHH! Again, this is a feature that should just be available OTB (out-the-box) for a phone this expensive! You should not have to download and install the J2ME just to get midlets to work! In fact, I think PalmOne should have supportted Brew as well OTB...

Anyway, that's just my initial impression based on what I've read here and elsewhere prior to actually holding or using the device. From the reviews posted in the forums here and by Treocentral, the screen seems to be amazingly crisp and sharp and the new thumbboard layout seems even more user-friendly and intuitive. Also the added BT functionality and replaceable battery are definite pluses as is the much nicer software bundle that comes with the Ace (w/exception to lack of voice dialer, VR of course). Overall, I think the Ace will still be the best overall smartphone in the market. Other devices will have better overall feature-sets, but the combination of size and palmOS are the clincher for me and I imagine alot of other users here. The h6300 is triwireless, but it is a brick and slow as molasses WM Pdaphone. THe Pda2k/XDAIII/whatever is a really cool features and nice slidout thumbboard, but it's still too big for my tastes. My Treo is my ONLY phone and I have to carry it every where. The Pda2k may only by a few mm larger when closed, but those mm do matter. Also from what I've read, the one-handed operation and thumbboard integration is still not as good as in the Treo. Finally, from my experience with the Treo 300 and T|T, the less moving parts in the pda, the better and less likelyhood of breakage. Finally, most of these other phones will be way overpriced (like ~$100O for the XDAIII). The new BB 7100t is the exception, but once the BB connect PalmOS client is available, I don't see any advantages of that device over the Treo.

Finally, in regards to the wireless radio, I think Edge is a huge increase in functionality for GSM users. The added wireless speed of EGDE is a huge positive and will greatly enhance the upgrade experience for GSM users vs CDMA users imho. Thus, I think GSM Treo users may have a much stronger arguement for upgrading than cdma Treo users...Anyway, that's my take for now on the Treo. Like I said above, I think I'll probaby upgrade, but I doubt I'll be an avid early adopter that I was that last time around. But who knows, I might change my mind after the roadshow tomorrow...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/08/2004 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Thanks guys!

Anyway, I'm gonna try to be at the Chicago Treo Roadshow tomorrow.....

Finally, in regards to the wireless radio, I think Edge is a huge increase in functionality for GSM users. The added wireless speed of EGDE is a huge positive and will greatly enhance the upgrade experience for GSM users vs CDMA users imho. Thus, I think GSM Treo users may have a much stronger arguement for upgrading than cdma Treo users...Anyway, that's my take for now on the Treo. Like I said above, I think I'll probaby upgrade, but I doubt I'll be an avid early adopter that I was that last time around. But who knows, I might change my mind after the roadshow tomorrow...

Great post...good to have you back. Have fun at the roadshow. You're gonna love the 650. I think you might move the camera out of the "unforgivable" column when you see it.
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 11/08/2004 at 10:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    u said it dude. you covered all the crap i was thinking! and the video via Athena would be sweet especially now that movies can be recorded. the Voice Dialing was unforgivable for me when i got the 600. i had the samsung a600 prior to that with the voice dialing that takes text u enter as names and phonetically derives the match so you dont even have to record your voice.

going from making calls via a handsfree with button to no voicedial whatsoever (voice command is a joke) made me almost return my treo. in fact i was extremly upset when i first got my treo. then i found treo central and other treo sites and found what i could do and of course fell in love with the treo.

that being said, my treo is on the way and i will reluctantly by the voice command and from everything else u mentioned, thats really about the only thing i can even compensate. now if only it would get here!!!
    gfunk, glad to see that you're still alive and kickin.

you sounded off on all the right notes. here, here.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Gfunk, thanks for the info, really help me gather all my thoughts and opinions about the T650. Hopefully after attending the NYC Roadshow on the 16th, I'll be able to make my final decision.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    Gfunk, nice musings... Bingo to the EDGE comments. I was NOT going to go for the 650 until I learned it had this feature. Too bad the news came out before my 15 days were up with my Nokia 6230b (a great phone, but not a Treo).

Todd/Indy
  17.    #37  
    Thank you Gfunk!

For now, I also decided to wait it out a little longer. I'm with Tmobile so I have no choice anyway. Looks like there is no special discount for current Treo 600 owners either.

But then again I just got my 4th replacement so I can easily sell this very quickly and re-join the hysteria!

I look forward to your post after the Roadshow.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I still think the memory issue is a biggie. I guess I still don't buy the economic rationale for only 32/64 MB. Imagine when a bug is found in DTG, say. DataViz doesn't always release patches so the only way to have it fixed may be to upgrade to the next version. That's a lot of ROM space no longer in use and an equivalent or greater amount of RAM gobbled up. Same for all the other ROM add-ons: you upgrade, you lose mucho RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I'm pretty sure gfunk is a guy...
    Nope I used to date her! "He" is definitley a "Her"..............I think???????

Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    Gfunk, thanks for the info, really help me gather all my thoughts and opinions about the T650. Hopefully after attending the NYC Roadshow on the 16th, I'll be able to make my final decision.
    Well always a pleasure to see Gfunk's avatar, I mean posts

Very insightful assessment, although from some of the picture comparisons that have been posted on the Internet, I think the digital camera is a "forgivable" sin. Of course, that's assuming the pictures were genuine, but that should all be put to rest when I also attend the NYC Roadshow on the 16th.

I forget, are we all sitting in the back row, and wearing sunglasses, and putting TC somewhere on our "Hello, my name is" badges?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12