Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From what I have read the 600 does not have analog roam. Will the 650? With all the traveling I do, that might be a dealbreaker.
    No analog
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    From what I have read the 600 does not have analog roam. Will the 650? With all the traveling I do, that might be a dealbreaker.

Analog? Is someone living in the past?
    I was large and in charge!
    Sir, as a representative of the people, you certainly must remember our friends in rural america. Analog roam is important to me since I have to travel to every know sh*thole in NoCal. Very poor cell coverage in the middle of nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd
    Sir, as a representative of the people, you certainly must remember our friends in rural america. Analog roam is important to me since I have to travel to every know sh*thole in NoCal. Very poor cell coverage in the middle of nowhere.

Agreed. The aformentioned comment is duly withdrawn without prejudice.
    I was large and in charge!
  6.    #6  
    I don't live in rural America, but travel through rural areas (central and northwest Florida) frequently to visit family. I will have to check, but I think I do now roam on analog from time to time. Kind of worthless to have a phone that won't work on the interstate in the boonies, when you would need it the most.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    There are cell phone towers along most/all interstate highways. It's when you get off the interstate that you run into coverage problems.
  8.    #8  
    Maybe I'm wrong about what is "analog roam" Looking at this map, http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...=1099074057607

all the light green is analog roaming? That can't be right, can it?
    if you read some of the posts on the boards, it seems that people forget the 650 is actually a phone. They are more concerned with it's wifi ability to connect to a video playing alien attacking memory using camera, than DOES IT MAKE A SIMPLE PHONE CALL!!!!!!
    Just a quick fyi. I traveled through rural areas in North Carolina and when I couldn't get a signal from Sprint the unit roamed to Verizon's network. No problems.
    No Treo ever had analog service (T180-270-300-600-650). Most cell carriers are rapidly phasing it out. It is a very rare cell phone now with analog backup (GAIT phones).
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    The Treo 600 and 650 are GSM only and will not communicate on analog carriers. If you want a phone that will do GSM, TDMA, and analog try the Nokia 6340i. I had that phone before I purchased my Treo 600 and used in on Cingular's network, it is a GAIT phone and can communicate on analog. I still carry the Nokia phone in my bag and if I REALLY need to communicate and the Treo has no signal I'll slip my SIM into the Nokia and talk in non-GSM areas.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Psst...the Sprint versions are CDMA.
    Isn't CDMA digital also? It is more efficient than GSM as it carries more voice channels. It is not analog.
    CDMA is two digital bands. Sprint phones that can roam analog use AMPS. I was just reminding cajun that there are Treos that are not GSM.
    from http://socalcell.com/ :
    AMPS is Ubiquitous; Don't Choose a Carrier (or a handset) that Doesn't Include AMPS Capability!
    No weasel words here, don't go with a carrier that doesn't provide at least the capability to use the old 800 Mhz AMPS network, and be certain that the handset you select includes AMPS capability as there are many CDMA phones without AMPS capability being offered.

This advice is echoed by Consumer Reports who recommends cell phone users purchase a phone with digital and AMPS capability. AMPS Major national carriers that provide AMPS backup are AT&T Wireless, Cingular, Sprit PCS and Verizon Wireless*.

There are vast areas of the U.S. (i.e. much of Alaska) that are covered only by AMPS (and that will continue to be covered only by AMPS into the foreseeable future due to sparse population and the expense of installing digital service which requires many more towers than AMPS)). Even in California, there are many areas that only have AMPS coverage, i.e. inside Yosemite you can get fair AMPS coverage from sites located outside the park, but there is no digital coverage of any kind.
  17. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    The lack of analog is a concern for me, but it will not stop me from getting the 650. With my current carrier, US Cellular, I get only analog in O'Hare airport, on a roof across from the Alamo in downtown San Antonio, etc.. I am hoping that Sprint will give me better digital coverage. On analog, my current phone will run down the entire battery in less than 5 minutes of talk.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    Maybe I'm wrong about what is "analog roam" Looking at this map, http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...=1099074057607

all the light green is analog roaming? That can't be right, can it?
    Yes, all that light green IS analog. Remember, analog is virtually everywhere in this country. A nice advantage of CDMA is that it can fall back on AMPS (analog) networks when necessary. GSM can't do this. A moot point with the Treo, however, since it doesn't support analog.

However, there's quite a bit of digital roaming too, as evidenced by the "digital roaming map" on that same link you provided. There are a ton of regional CDMA providers in this country, most of which you can roam onto.
    dean2526, I share your concerns about the lack of analog roaming. I have never not had a phone with analog capabilities. I've been a happy Samsung SPH-i500 user for the past year, and thought I would patiently wait for the release of its successor, the i550. Both the i500 and i550 have analog roaming capabilities.

But...I've decided to get a Treo 650 anyway, because:
    I don't live in a rural area
    I hardly ever travel to rural areas
    Based on the feedback of users here at TC, analog roaming isn't as crucial as it once was (i.e. digital roaming should suffice)
    The Samsung SPH-i550 isn't due to be released until Spring 2005
    I really really want a keyboard, and neither Samsung model has one
    And lastly, all common sense kinda went out the window once I got to play with the 650 at the SF Roadshow. What can I say, it's a beauty and I'm infatuated.

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
    Most of rural America is indeed only covered by AMPS for a couple of reasons. First, it's already there and the cost to upgrade to digital is very expensive. As urban operators upgrade, the AMPs gear is purchased by the rural operators. Second, analog degrades nicely with longer distances while digital dies a horrible flaming death if the codec (coder/decoder) cannot make sense of the bits that are being transmitted to form something to push out the speaker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast