Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's the set-up. If you were given the choice between a CDMA and an (unlocked) GSM Treo 650, and cost of plans and/or phone were taken out of the equation, which would you choose?
    GSM. Because EDGE is closer to being rolled out.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I would choose GSM simply because of the world roaming capabilities, and the faster data.
    GSM
    cause i don't eat cdma
    CDMA because, in my area, CDMA coverage (Sprint, Verizon) have better coverage and building penetration than GSM does. Also, the 3G that Sprint and Verizon deploy are just as fast as EDGE, maybe faster.
    CDMA no question about it. Excellent coverage in my area combined with my plan ($90 per mo for 2 lines 2000AT Unlim N/W 7pm, free vision, free pcs-pcs, free SMS BEFORE 15% discount) and most eveyone I talk to on CDMA as well. I don't have a landline as a result, and never come close to using all of my minutes. I can't find another plan (even regional) that really competes with that. The cost of Edge (on ATT) cannot compete with my plan, especially for occasional usage.

Are you handing them out?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    At the present moment, assuming coverage is the same. GSM is a better choice.

1 Sim Card can be swapped into other phones
    2 World Roaming
    3 EGPRS is faster than 1xRTT
    4 Longer talk time

Anyone who answers CDMA is taking a lesser quality product. Since the pricing, coverage, and availability are not the same however, these result do not reflect real world results.

Lonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    GSM. Because EDGE is closer to being rolled out.
    Agreed
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    1. Sim cards are nice

2. I don't do much "world roaming" - unless you count Canada

3. I used EDGE on ATT Wireless. It was not as fast as either Sprint's or Verizon's 1xRTT - at least in my area. Better than regular GPRS, but not faster than 1xRTT.

4. I have never talked more than 30 minutes on my phone in any one day, so a moot point for me.

CDMA may be a "lesser" product theoretically, but as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. CDMA is better in actual use in most of the United States. More coverage and better building penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    CDMA because, in my area, CDMA coverage (Sprint, Verizon) have better coverage and building penetration than GSM does. Also, the 3G that Sprint and Verizon deploy are just as fast as EDGE, maybe faster.
    Yes, the new 3G CDMA will be faster (theoretically), but will the Treo 650 be 3G CDMA compliant, or will you need to replace it for the next version of Treo?

The 650 looks to be EDGE compliant (ready), but only CDMA 1xRTT complian (ready). So, even if Sprint upgrades its networks to 3G, the Treo 650 will not work on them.

Is this correct, I am a newbie, and only trying to use logic. Someone please set me straight.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    1. Sim cards are nice

2. I don't do much "world roaming" - unless you count Canada

Ahh yes, our northerly neighbor. Never quite understood why we did not annex them
    I was large and in charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Ahh yes, our northerly neighbor. Never quite understood why we did not annex them
    Patience, Grasshopper.

We are.
    if i traveled the world i would have to say GMS but since i dont and i dont have a need for it. and if the rumors are true about the new 3g coming out it will be as fast as EDGE
    GSM of course...
    On CDMA your calls go to your voicemail if you have a active data session running...
    I am a happy gsm user. To say though that gsm is "better" or worse than cdma is just not valid. Most comments on this topic are going to be anecdotal. Use cdma on Verizon and you will probably be generally happy, use it on sprint and according to JD powers you will be mighty unhappy. The same holds true on gsm. Depending on your geographic location you will have a different experience. CDMA and GSM are merely the backend to your network. In strictly technological terms it could be argued that CDMA "better" it is much newer technology than GSM, many more callers per cell are possible thus theoretically fewer dropped calls. Of course so many other issues are determinint too.
    You can resell a GSM phone to virtually anyone, not the same with CDMA..especially in this era of trading in/switching phones for the latest and greatest every year, something to consider.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by faaltoo
    GSM of course...
    On CDMA your calls go to your voicemail if you have a active data session running...
    Would this also be true if I were using the web browser? Call would go to voicemail on Sprint, but not on verizon?

Besides, Verizon seems to be a mute point right now since they are not likely to have the 650 for a very long time.

I see Verizon is rolling out their 3G in Atlanta. But will the Treo 650 be able to use 3G? Big question.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    The 650 is not 1xEVDO capable. Spec to spec, EDGE is faster than 1xRTT, Sim, world roaming, talk time. Those are all advantages of the GSM Treo 650. If coverage and pricing were equal GSM is the clear winner. However that is not the case, that is why I use CDMA. It does not matter if you dont talk on the phone for more than 30 minutes, or if you dont travel. The question was which is superior with the given. GSM is the clear winner. You cannot compare EVDO to Edge, that is an unfair comparison. You would need to compare EVDO to UMTS. Neither of which are available for the 650. You cannot have active voice and data on GSM, unless it is a class A device which the 650 is not, it just seems to switch better.
    CDMA of course. Faster data speeds GSMers only dream of (yeah keep waiting for your EDGE suckers)
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    because benedict arnold was late.

I would take either and run. i'm currently on t-mo but almost everyone in my family is on sprint.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast