Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cingular rolled out EDGE in the San Francisco area earlier this summer. Theoretically the spec calls for EDGE to be faster than 1xRTT. In reality, it's slower here.

I asked an engineer about it...he says that's expected because of how bandwidth is allocated in GSM networks.

As much as I'd like a GSM phone so I can travel with it, data rate is too important. I'm going with CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Ahh yes, our northerly neighbor. Never quite understood why we did not annex them
    We tried twice, in 1776-7 and 1812-14.

British forces successfully defend their postions both times.
    You can't ignore the plans. I use the data services of my Treo far more than I use thr phone. Sprint gives me unlimited access for $15 a month. I'd pay 3 or 4 times that on other networks.

OTOH, were I a world traveller, I'd be fool not to get GSM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    CDMA...no doubt
    CDMA because of the superior coverage and because I rarely travel outside the U.S.

I would change my opinion if
    a) GSM coverage was superior to CDMA in the U.S.
    b) I started traveling outside the U.S. regularly.

However, I do love the SIM card with GSM. I enjoy swapping phones based on my needs. This is still not enough to get me to leave Sprint though.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You can't ignore the plans. I use the data services of my Treo far more than I use thr phone. Sprint gives me unlimited access for $15 a month. I'd pay 3 or 4 times that on other networks.

Unlimited data access and 1500 text messages and 200 MMS $20 Cingular
    GSM (and I'm a satisfied VZW customer),
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Unlimited data access and 1500 text messages and 200 MMS $20 Cingular
    How do you get unlimited data on cingular for $20?
    thanks JZ
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    All AT&T GSM is EDGE already.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    CDMA of course. Faster data speeds GSMers only dream of (yeah keep waiting for your EDGE suckers)
    Quote Originally Posted by jzaritsky
    How do you get unlimited data on cingular for $20?
    thanks JZ
    MEdia Works
    https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase
    If you look on Cingular's website you will find the $19.99 Mediaworks package. It includes 200 MMS messages, I think 1000 SMS's and unlimited Internet Express (their term for GPRS/EDGE). I have had it for 4 months with great success. It is also listed on Palmone's websited
    Sorry cgalunga. It took me so long to type out my response you beat me to the punch
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    No question, CDMA. Better coverage, and $15 for 1xRTT is tough to beat. Soft handoffs, noise canceling, etc. A very cool technology.
    Props to the SIM card though, a very handy feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

Course you can get a prepaid GSM phone for those "world" travels.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    GSM as I'm a mostly happy T-Mobile user.
    cdma, find me a plan on any gsm network where you get 2000 min a month, free pcs to pcs, and unlimitied data and sms/mms for $80
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    We tried twice, in 1776-7 and 1812-14.

British forces successfully defend their postions both times.
    Yeah, and with the Brits gone, Canada practically became the 51st state in the Union. Don't, get me wrong, I like Canada. Their half of Niragra Falls is much nicer and I rather enjoyed my brief trip to Toronto. Can't say the same for the sales tax...
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Yeah, and with the Brits gone, Canada practically became the 51st state in the Union. Don't, get me wrong, I like Canada. Their half of Niragra Falls is much nicer and I rather enjoyed my brief trip to Toronto. Can't say the same for the sales tax...
    Come on, Canada is not even a real country!
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Here's the set-up. If you were given the choice between a CDMA and an (unlocked) GSM Treo 650, and cost of plans and/or phone were taken out of the equation, which would you choose?
    In all the arguments about CDMA vs GSM, I forgot the most obvious answer to which 650 I would take. If I am handed a GSM and CDMA model to decide between, I take...

Both! And run out the door before anyone could catch me
    Quote Originally Posted by Argelius
    Here's the set-up. If you were given the choice between a CDMA and an (unlocked) GSM Treo 650, and cost of plans and/or phone were taken out of the equation, which would you choose?
    For most people it is a coverage issue. If your phone does not work well in your home area, not much else matters. For travelers, it is a national coverage issue. There is no longer very much difference in national coverage. The real difference is for international coverage. While for most users this does not matter much, for international travelers GSM provides dramatically better coverage.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast