Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this isn't specifically related to the 650 and if the mods move it, so be it - but does anyone just have a 650 as their ONLY telephone - ie. not have a regular phone? My wife and I have been discussing just having our regular phone disconnected. We hardly ever use - just to answer calls lately from different politicians wanting us to vote for them . Everyone in our family has their own cell phone and that is the primary way we communicate with each other. For our internet we have a cable modem (Road Runner). What do you all think of this concept of just having a cell phone only?
    no one on this board has a 650 as there only phone, cause no one has admitted to having it.

the 600 is my only phone, no land line.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yes. Right now I have only the 650 and no landline phone. It has been this way since I graduated from school a few years ago, and I have found no inconveniences whatsoever...I've been able to get along just fine with only a cell phone.

I am fortunate enough to have great coverage in my area, but if you live in a more shady coverage zone, then you would have to evaluate accordingly.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    all i have is my Treo 600 and Comca$t cable internet... No problems here! I would recomend it! Hell if you really want a local number just do the VOIP, all the cool nerds are doing it! hehehe

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    Yes. Right now I have only the 650 and no landline phone.
    Umm... am I reading this correctly??? Or do I need another cup of coffee?
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    Umm... am I reading this correctly??? Or do I need another cup of coffee?
    No coffee necessary. Attached is a picture I just took of my 650.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    How/when did you get it? Give us you views/opinions/experiences/advise...please!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Giggle.
    woohoo! That is awsome! What are you thoughts on it? Did you upgrade from a Treo 600? If you did have there been any program compatibility problems? Is Blazer any quicker?

Sorry for the questions but I would love to know!!!

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    I too gave up a landline phone a couple of years ago. Both the wife and I have SPCS phones and great coverage in our area (Virginia Beach, VA) and of course with the free LD, calling the family back home in Hawaii costs us nothing. Have a cable modem for internet access, and one less bill to pay each month.

CGordonn
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    I know this isn't specifically related to the 650 and if the mods move it, so be it - but does anyone just have a 650 as their ONLY telephone - ie. not have a regular phone? My wife and I have been discussing just having our regular phone disconnected. We hardly ever use - just to answer calls lately from different politicians wanting us to vote for them . Everyone in our family has their own cell phone and that is the primary way we communicate with each other. For our internet we have a cable modem (Road Runner). What do you all think of this concept of just having a cell phone only?
    I've been without a landline since 1999. You can see in my signature the phones I have used during this time. I have not ran into any problems.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I was a cool nerd for a while, I dumped my land line, went with Celullar, cable modem and VoIP (Packet8) It worked pretty good for me. I ended up dropping the VoIP because I just didn't need it, the cell phone worked fine enough. I've got a Kyocera 6035 waiting for the 650 to come out for Verizon.
    I gave up landline last year. Everybody had my cell number, I already had a lot of mins.and since myself, my family and girlfriend were all on sprint, it was no cost/no minutes for any of us to talk to each other. Sat down one day and figured out that I had not used my landline phone for over three months! Around here with the taxes and surcharges that was almost $50 a month wasted. Not to mention I had an unlisted landline number so was paying extra for that!

I know some local Sprint Bigwigs and it is happeninging all over the country. In fact there was a recent cnn.com article on the drop in landlines again this year. A couple of years ago was the first time in the history of the USA that there were fewer landlines in operation than the year before.

Sprint and the other carriers are getting hit up from two directions. First, the high-end users with lots of mins. that use the cell phone so much that they figure out the landline is not needed. And the, "trailer-trash types" who find it better to get one of the prepaid cell phones from wal-mart or the gas station that they can pump money into when they have it instead of paying a fee every month and getting disconnected all the time when they don't have money to pay.

Sprint's cell phone business is doing really well, but its land-line business is taking a big hit. They just announced laying off a whole bunch more people in several landline service centers. Las Vegas took the biggest hit.

Frankly, that is one reason that the carriers need to be careful about folks who use the cell phone as a modem to connect to the internet. Most around here I think just do that to check a quick e-mail on the road or surf a bit at an airport or whereever. But with less and less people having home phones, more and more folks could easily wind up using that as their primary internet connection means.

The world is a changin'.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Let me guess......

This is where "Im So Unpopular" will fade into the shadows and never be heard from again......
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    woohoo! That is awsome! What are you thoughts on it? Did you upgrade from a Treo 600? If you did have there been any program compatibility problems? Is Blazer any quicker?

Sorry for the questions but I would love to know!!!

Timmay

The more important question is.......

WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU GET IT FROM!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    no landline here
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    no one on this board has a 650 as there only phone, cause no one has admitted to having it.

the 600 is my only phone, no land line.
    Ditto. Love it, its great.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I typically carry 2 cell phones (one on Verizon and one on T-Mobile), and keep a landline. I much prefer the landline for most conversations... cellular just doesn't sound as good. Convenience-wise, cellular is great until you're low on battery, or you're in NYC during a massive blackout which crippled the cell phone networks. When everything else failed in NYC, my landline kept ticking. The landline offers me unlimited calls, unlimited long distance, with no minute restrictions. No worries for me.

Most importantly though, I like the separation between who can always reach me, and who can just leave a message at home on the answering machine if I'm not there or choose not to answer.

Since the cell phone goes everywhere I do, I'd like to remain uninterrupted as often as possible, while being accessible in an emergency. If I always have to check to call id to see who it is, and whether I'd like to answer the call while I'm out in the park with my girlfriend, I'm not having a good time. If my cell phone rings, I like knowing that it's something important that can't wait... not just mom asking me if I cleaned behind my ears. If it rings, it better be "the data center is burning down" or some equally important emergency.

But that's just me. Most people can't seem to pry themselves away from the phone and want to be talking to someone all the time. To each their own!
    Treo 600 w/Sprint PCS. Comca$t cable internet. No landline or VOIP. (Also, only 2 dropped calls in nearly a year of being with Sprint.)
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Although I don't have a phone attached to my landline, the service is still necessary for my TiVO box.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast