Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since my preferred carrier (Verizon) may be slow on the 650 release, I may have to go with one of the others. Can some of you knowledgable folks compare the pros/cons of ATT/Cingular vs Sprint. My primary concerns are coverage in the NE corridor (NYC, Phili, NJ areas) and availability of high-speed connections for both the phone and for using phone as modem for laptop. Any comments appreciated. - DPAM
    SPRINT....i've had AT&T and there service sucks!!!

The end...
    But they're merging with Cingular so hopefully it will get better
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  4. gcs
    Hi,

I have a Treo 600 on Sprint, and have used it all over New England, Cincinatti, Florida, no complaints. You can't beat their data prices: $15 for unlimited internet & unlimted SMS.

I don't use it to provide a laptop with an internet connection, so I can't comment on that...
    George
    GSM [AT&Tingular] voice quality is superior to CDMA. No techie would disagree with that. Secondly, The Treo 650 on GSM will employ EDGE technology, which are faster data rates than CDMA 1xRTT.

Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    SPRINT....i've had AT&T and there service sucks!!!

The end...
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    GSM [AT&Tingular] voice quality is superior to CDMA. No techie would disagree with that. Secondly, The Treo 650 on GSM will employ EDGE technology, which are faster data rates than CDMA 1xRTT.
    Data prices on top of normal phone plan:
    Sprint Data: $15/month unlimited
    AT&T: $30 for 10MB, $40 for 20MB, or $50/month unlimited
    1. AT&T is being bought by Cingular and they plan on releasing the GSM model in the same timeframe (January 2005 is the current target).

2. While theoretically EDGE allows greater data rates than 1xRTT, in practice it just allowed the GSM carriers to finally catch up to Sprint's data rate. This is from a source coding applications for both EDGE and 1xRTT.

It really comes down to this: Sprint has the phone first by 2 months, and better data coverage in Metro areas. Cingular (AT&T) has pretty good coverage in metro areas, and better coverage in many secondary markets. I'd just look at what local carrier of the two has the best coverage and go with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38

No way...Like i''ve said...Sprint is by far superior to AT&T. I've had both, in fact, i've had Cingular, T-mobile, and Nextel as well. None compares to Sprint in reception or clarity. Sprint works from the ground up, which means where ever you have service you will stay in service. GSM works through satellite...A huge risk of losing service where ever you are...
    I would take ATT/Cingular because they will have two big networks working together now unlike before. Doubling the number of sites means better coverage in most places.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks guys, good stuff. Any more input still welcomed.
    Does GPRS/Edge interfere with receiving calls like CDMA 1xRTT?
    AT&T/Cingular coverage is now excellent following the network merge but I have to say that AT&T data pricing really sucks:
    No way...Like i''ve said...Sprint is by far superior to AT&T. I've had both, in fact, i've had Cingular, T-mobile, and Nextel as well. None compares to Sprint in reception or clarity. Sprint works from the ground up, which means where ever you have service you will stay in service. GSM works through satellite...A huge risk of losing service where ever you are...
    What's GSM got to do with satellites?
    Service/coverage is now excellent following the Cingular purchase of AT&T.
    Plus, if you travel, GSM is available in 209 countries worldwide
    In California - Sprint is horrendous! ATTWS is leaps and bounds better!!!
    Last edited by firefinder24; 10/28/2004 at 04:10 PM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Does GPRS/Edge interfere with receiving calls like CDMA 1xRTT?
    Hrm.. good question, i've seen some more multi-tasking ability with GPRS/Edge than with CDMA.. take the sidekick for example, you can have AIM running in the background, while you make a call, it doesn't interupt either.

that could be a phone thing, and not a protocol thing tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    AT&T/Cingular coverage is now excellent following the network merge but I have to say that AT&T data pricing really sucks:
    I just switched to an unlimited plan for $24.99, was on the $19.99 plan for 8mb...

Actually they don't. GSM and CDMA both use towers.

Also, Cingular has a very reasonable data rate, which hopefully ATTWS will adopt. $20 a month for unlimited data, 1500 SMS and 200 MMS. Sounds like a bargain to me, especially if you sign up and get it grandfathered in when Cingular begins to deploy (more than now, anyway) UMTS.
    Go with whichever carrier has the best coverage at your home work. My prime area is NE corridor just like you and Sprint works fine for me. On the other hand my best friend uses AT&T and he's fine too.
    I switched from Verizon to ATT for a couple reasons. 1. Verizon is to slow with approving new phones. 2. They don't care about their current customers, no discounts unless you sign a two year contact. I've been with them for 7 years and not once did I get a $100 for a new phone. 3. I can try a new phone for 30 days on ATT vs 15 on Verizon. 4. With the SIM card, I can swap between the Treo and cheap phone when going out and don't need the functions of the Treo or having to worry about loosing it. And dont buy into the $50 data plan, it's $25, mmode, as long as you're not going to connect a laptop.

So far quaility has been just as good as Verizon, though this is in the Midwest not the East coast. And I've only been testing it for a week now. I've thought about trying Sprint but if I can get the 650 in the next month, think I'll stay with ATT/Cingular.

Best thing you could do would be to try them both and decide for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    4. With the SIM card, I can swap between the Treo and cheap phone when going out and don't need the functions of the Treo or having to worry about loosing it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=42

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast