Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Jov3 Dude,

GSM has nothing to do with satellites. Where are facts man..........?

Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    No way...Like i''ve said...Sprint is by far superior to AT&T. I've had both, in fact, i've had Cingular, T-mobile, and Nextel as well. None compares to Sprint in reception or clarity. Sprint works from the ground up, which means where ever you have service you will stay in service. GSM works through satellite...A huge risk of losing service where ever you are...
    Okay...Here's my theory...GSM is a world wide service. Meaning you can make and take calls anywhere in the world. The only way that seems logical to me is if they used SATELLITES...There ain't no way that a tower is going to beam across 794,047,387,238,348,430,309,348 gallons of water. SATELLITES!!!

The second thing that you all should know is that GSM is a EUROPEAN thing. They started it and America is trying to adopt it. However, if you do your research...you'll find that it in America, where I believe most of us live, CDMA is making its way to the number one service, because of its clarity, and it's coverage.
  3. Mordeloth
    Okay...Here's my theory...GSM is a world wide service. Meaning you can make and take calls anywhere in the world. The only way that seems logical to me is if they used SATELLITES...There ain't no way that a tower is going to beam across 794,047,387,238,348,430,309,348 gallons of water. SATELLITES!!!

The second thing that you all should know is that GSM is a EUROPEAN thing. They started it and America is trying to adopt it. However, if you do your research...you'll find that it in America, where I believe most of us live, CDMA is making its way to the number one service, because of its clarity, and it's coverage.
    Um, no.

I don't even know where to start here.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmacgeek
    I have the same question... but is anyone in the Twin Cities (MN) area? Sprint or AT&T?

AT&T seems to be dying but now with the new merger... ?

Any feedback on coverage in MN? THANKS
    I'm in the Twin Cities and have had very good success with Sprint. The 2 best carriers in the TC are Sprint and T-Mobile, as far as I'm concerned. There's quite a bit of CDMA roaming in MN too, from Midwest Wireless in the south to RCC (formerly cellular 2000) and others in the north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    When is this EDGE stuff supposed to be turned on? Is this active anywhere? We talkin February or like next November?
    AT&T has already activated it in my area (Orange County, California). I've used their EDGE-compatible PC Cards. So I'm sure it's been activated elsewhere, as well.
    Okay...Here's my theory...GSM is a world wide service. Meaning you can make and take calls anywhere in the world. The only way that seems logical to me is if they used SATELLITES...
    I have a feeling you're putting us all on, but just in case...

Satellites are certainly not necessary for worldwide service. After all, you can make and take calls with landline phones anywhere in the world, too, but that doesn't mean they have to use satellites. Haven't you heard of transatlantic cables? How do you think people made phone calls before communications satellites even existed?

There ain't no way that a tower is going to beam across 794,047,387,238,348,430,309,348 gallons of water. SATELLITES!!!
    What? Listen, just because you make a transatlantic call does not mean a satellite has to be in the picture. Ever heard of undersea fiber-optic cable? And even if there is a tower-to-satellite link taking place, what makes you think that this is exclusively a GSM technology? There's no reason why CDMA towers couldn't forward signals to satellites as well.

Sorry, but you're way off base with your theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Go with whichever carrier has the best coverage at your home work. My prime area is NE corridor just like you and Sprint works fine for me. On the other hand my best friend uses AT&T and he's fine too.
    I agree with Anthony. It depends on where you are. I am in Dallas and I constantly listen to my coworkers who use Sprint complain about how poor their service is. I have been a long time AT&T customer and I have seen GSM coverage improve over the last year. I previously used Cingular and they were bullet-proof but I switched to AT&T at the time because they couldn't compete with the price. Now that they are merging, it will be the best of both worlds. In this part of the country, GSM is better voice quality/coverage and Cingular is the company to beat.

Data on the other hand is not as good on GSM and therein lies the rub. I absolutely love CDMA technology for data because it is far superior to GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, etc.

If only they made a phone with a CDMA radio for data and a GSM radio for voice! Maybe once AT&T recoups the AT&T Wireless name and re-releases their wireless service on CDMA, they can merge again with Cingular and have both networks. It would be the panacea of the cellular world!

First of all, you cannot "make and take calls anywhere in the world," only where there are GSM towers. Obvious but worth pointing out.

Every wireless handset, regardless of the technology, talks to a Base Station, that then in turn talks to the MSC (Mobile Switching Center). Those Base Stations have backhaul facilities to other carriers and to the PSTN. These backhaul facilities are almost always landline based, not satellite as you are suggesting.

I see two additional problems with your theory.
    First, it doesn't take a satellite to communicate across the US no matter what carrier or technolgy you use for cellular. That is where the majority of calls are placed (taking your assumption that most of us live in the US). Therefore, satellites would not even come into the picture.
    Second, I am assuming you are using a CDMA handset. The same transatlantic facilities you use to call a number in Europe are the same backhaul facilities a GSM handset in Europe will use to call you. If there is a satellite in the picture, it goes both ways and is used by CDMA and GSM carriers alike.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123