Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Do you hear it? That loud sound? I think its the sound of a can of whoop-arse opening...
    LOL, I just thought that post from yesterday was funny and I was reminded of it by SlipperyPete
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    My bad...didn't realize my third grade grammar teacher was trolling this board. Should I write it 100 times on the board so I'll never forget?

LOSING -
    1 a : to bring to destruction -- used chiefly in passive construction <the ship was lost on the reef> b : DAMN <if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul -- Matthew 16:26 (Authorized Version)>
    2 : to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place
    3 : to suffer deprivation of : part with especially in an unforeseen or accidental manner
    4 a : to suffer loss through the death or removal of or final separation from (a person) b : to fail to keep control of or allegiance of <lose votes> <lost his temper>
    5 a : to fail to use : let slip by : WASTE <lose the tide> b (1) : to fail to win, gain, or obtain <lose a prize> <lose a contest> (2) : to undergo defeat in <lost every battle> c : to fail to catch with the senses or the mind <lost part of what she said>
    6 : to cause the loss of <one careless statement lost him the election>
    7 : to fail to keep, sustain, or maintain <lost my balance>
    8 a : to cause to miss one's way or bearings <lost himself in the maze of streets> b : to make (oneself) withdrawn from immediate reality <lost herself in daydreaming>
    9 a : to wander or go astray from <lost his way> b : to draw away from : OUTSTRIP <lost his pursuers>
    10 : to fail to keep in sight or in mind
    11 : to free oneself from : get rid of <dieting to lose some weight>
    intransitive senses
    1 : to undergo deprivation of something of value
    2 : to undergo defeat <lose with good grace>
    3 of a timepiece : to run slow
    - losˇable /'lü-z&-b&l/ adjective
    - losˇableˇness noun
    - lose ground : to suffer loss or disadvantage : fail to advance or improve
    - lose one's heart : to fall in love

BigBoy sincerely wants an answer. Second thoughts, it depends on where you are -- PDam. Sprint might be a better solution in the "midwest" or wherever you are from. I live in the SF Bay and AT&T just unleashed UMTS and its 250-300 kbps. I wouldn't need WIFI on a Treo 650 if they supported it. Perhaps in the next generation. However, I'll take EDGE at speeds of 120-150 kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    Does GPRS/Edge interfere with receiving calls like CDMA 1xRTT?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ
    Hrm.. good question, i've seen some more multi-tasking ability with GPRS/Edge than with CDMA.. take the sidekick for example, you can have AIM running in the background, while you make a call, it doesn't interupt either.

that could be a phone thing, and not a protocol thing tho.
    GPRS and CDMA 1xRTT both send calls to voicemail when data transfer is active. GPRS handles this better, however, because it opens and shuts "active" status with less lag than CDMA 1xRTT (or at least current implementations of that protocol). In practice, given that most data sessions have significant chunks of time where no data are actually being transferred, this means that GSM/GPRS phones send fewer calls to voicemail.

You can check this by watching a Sprint Treo's green "data arrows" while surfing the web. For several seconds after a page has finished loading, the arrows remain green and any incoming calls would go to voicemail (i.e., until the arrows turn gray). When surfing on a GPRS-enabled Treo, the open data connection seems to shut down much more quickly. In my limited experience, you might get a 10 second lag on Sprint and a 2 second lag on T-Mobile, for example. While this seems insignificant, if you use an e-mail program that checks your e-mail every 10 minutes, and if you receive a lot of voice calls, you might send a lot more of them to voicemail using a CDMA network. Same goes for typical web surfing.

I still prefer CDMA 1xRTT to GPRS for data, both because of speed of data transfer and ability to hold a connection in very marginal signal areas. With EDGE coming to the Treo 650 on GSM networks, the speed advantage will go away, but the connection advantage may actually be greater, as EDGE doesn't seem to do as well as GPRS in holding onto the connection. In all fairness, some have said that it may continue to hold the connection as coverage declines, but the speed goes down. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that it doesn't seem to affect CDMA all that much. I've had some pretty fast data connections with 0 bars of covereage showing on my Sprint Treo 600.
    So just how fast could I browse the net with my Sprint CDMA Treo 650?

How much would I gain by waiting for AT&T EDGE?

Very important question to me as I have never used a smartphone and need one soon.

Thanks.
    I am going with EDGE, because Sprint's coverage sucks in the San Diego area. Also, EDGE's data rate will be faster.

Someone posted this link in one of TreoCentral threads. It lists the data rate for each technology. Great link.

http://www.the3gportal.com/3gfaqs/edge-definition.html
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    I would take ATT/Cingular because they will have two big networks working together now unlike before. Doubling the number of sites means better coverage in most places.
    they have to sell some of their towers per the fcc, probably benefiting t-mo.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    I am going with EDGE, because Sprint's coverage sucks in the San Diego area. Also, EDGE's data rate will be faster.

Someone posted this link in one of TreoCentral threads. It lists the data rate for each technology. Great link.

http://www.the3gportal.com/3gfaqs/edge-definition.html
    Very nice link. I assume the Sprint CDMA is the 1XRTT.

So, the EDGE looks to be twice as fast than the CDMA. I wonder about the reliability of the two in Atlanta.

Would I have better luck getting a wi-fi card to work with CDMA or with EDGE in the future? I would like to use wi-fi when at home or coffee shop, but maybe that is a mute point if I have EDGE. The wi-fi rates I could typically get in public are about 2Mb - 5 Mb I think. What would this translate to in equal terms?

Thanks for the link.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    JOV3 Said "SPRINT....i've had AT&T and there service sucks!!!" [Snip]

Depends on where in the world you travel. GSM covers Europe like a blanket. I don't think Sprint works there.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Are you on European Roaming Rates when in Europe?

Honestly, I don't think I would be in Europe very often, if so, I would buy a new phone. I am mostly concerned with metro Atlanta, and overall US coverage.

Even if I had AT&T EDGE, their digital EDGE coverage seems to be very limited still.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    I still prefer CDMA 1xRTT to GPRS for data, both because of speed of data transfer and ability to hold a connection in very marginal signal areas. With EDGE coming to the Treo 650 on GSM networks, the speed advantage will go away, but the connection advantage may actually be greater, as EDGE doesn't seem to do as well as GPRS in holding onto the connection. In all fairness, some have said that it may continue to hold the connection as coverage declines, but the speed goes down. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that it doesn't seem to affect CDMA all that much. I've had some pretty fast data connections with 0 bars of covereage showing on my Sprint Treo 600.
    Excellent post, curtis. I agree regarding the fast CDMA data connections with 0 bars. I've experienced this with VZW.

I'm considering Cingular after the merger has completed because (1) Cingular is not available in my area and (2) I was very disappointed with AT&T on many levels. I'd like to see how things pan out. It will not necessarily be for the Treo 650 though. I like the idea of having an unlocked phone which can be used anywhere in the world.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Are you on European Roaming Rates when in Europe?

Honestly, I don't think I would be in Europe very often, if so, I would buy a new phone. I am mostly concerned with metro Atlanta, and overall US coverage.

Even if I had AT&T EDGE, their digital EDGE coverage seems to be very limited still.
    Most times I use a prepaid Monaco simm in my Treo 600 which is unlocked. Prices are far lower than roaming even on AT&T's "Enhanced" International Roaming.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I live in Los Angeles, so imagine how happy I am to hear that UMTS is available to the north of me (Bay area) and to the south of me (San Diego) but nowhere in Los Angeles. WHEE!!! I guess we need more people and technology here in tiny L.A. before we get them new-fangled hi-speed phones...

Of course, I've heard that the GSM Treo 650's will support EDGE (between 384-144 kbs), but I haven't heard about any Treo 650's supporting UMTS (2000-144 kbs), which I *thought* was a CDMA technology (W-CDMA to be exact). I saw that AT&T Wireless is offering it and I thought they were a GSM carrier... Maybe they support both GSM and CDMA...

http://www.attwireless.com/umts/coverage.html

Can anyone shed some light on the Treo 650 being compatible with UMTS? Otherwise I'm torn between keeping my Cingular account and waiting until December for EDGE or switching to Sprint and going with slower 1xRTT but getting it a month sooner. It probably wouldn't be such a big deal to wait if my current phone (Treo 270) wasn't currently being held together with duct tape and a rubber band (don't ask)

-Vaylen
    At the Long Beach Road Show I heard someone say Sprint will be the only carrier to have the 650 for 2004. They have a special contract and there should be a news article about it. Somewhere?!?!?
    When is this EDGE stuff supposed to be turned on? Is this active anywhere? We talkin February or like next November?
    I have AT&T currently (non-GSM) and coverage is spotty just north of San Francisco and L.A/Orange county.
    I'm trying out Verizon now but poor data plans and long wait for 650 is making me consider Sprint or Cingular (I know they've merged but hopefully they will have beeter service and support than AT&T that I've been getting)
    How has service been for others in these areas?
    How about places like Wisconsin?
    Thanks.
    I have the same question... but is anyone in the Twin Cities (MN) area? Sprint or AT&T?

AT&T seems to be dying but now with the new merger... ?

Any feedback on coverage in MN? THANKS

currently: T-Mobile
    I currently have Sprint (wife), Cingular (me), and T-mobile (phone number I really like, and may change to because my Cingular number is very provocative, got when I was younger, and I may need to grow up someday). Best in my area So Cal, Cingular. Has rollover minutes which I use from time to time, I am going to Europe next year (All GSM compatible) Data, not fast honestly but hoping for better with Edge. I am moving to all to Cingular family plan and getting rid of Sprint and T-mobile. Sidenote Cingular is the only carrier that allows unlimted number of characters incoming SMS, T-mobile truncates sms at 160 and Sprint Short mail works haphazardly for me. In my opinion...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmacgeek
    I have the same question... but is anyone in the Twin Cities (MN) area? Sprint or AT&T?

AT&T seems to be dying but now with the new merger... ?

Any feedback on coverage in MN?
    AT&T coverage should actually get better, once their network is integrated with Cingular's. Cingular is getting a lot more towers out of this merger. I have Sprint, and my wife has AT&T. No complaints from either of us, in the metro. I lose a lot of calls when I am sitting at my desk, in an office tower near the airport.

-- Dave from Minny
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast