Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Excellent review!
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Cheers wanderman. Great review and you have made me even more anxious to get my hands on one (if that is actually possible!).

PS You doom merchants out there should take note
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    wanderman:

Thanks for the review, but I have one question about VersaMail that the article didn't address: does VM do background fetching? Lack of this feature has always been SnapperMail's Achilles' Heel on the Treo.
    Hi Gameboy70,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'background fetching' but VersaMail allows you to set an 'email fetch schedule' that goes from every 5 minutes to every couple of hours and you can also select the days of the week as well as setting a sound alert each time you receive a new email. It may not be 'push' but I tested this and it worked perfectly well for my needs.

Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Hi Gameboy70,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'background fetching' but VersaMail allows you to set an 'email fetch schedule' that goes from every 5 minutes to every couple of hours and you can also select the days of the week as well as setting a sound alert each time you receive a new email. It may not be 'push' but I tested this and it worked perfectly well for my needs.

Cheers, W.
    background fetching: when automatically fetching email, it doesnt turn on the screen. the ability to check email while you are in another app. the handspring mail app had the ability to do this i belive. i think chatter can do it too.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yes, those are the only two I know that do invisible fetching.

Felipe, glad to see you have found a life ?
    Awsome review. You really got me believeing that the Treo 650 is the "Truth" Anywayz, I am kinda upset, because, I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I purchased a Color Sidekick II. Don't get me wrong, The Color Sidekick II is a cool phone, but not as intuitive as the T650.
    background fetching: when automatically fetching email, it doesnt turn on the screen. the ability to check email while you are in another app. the handspring mail app had the ability to do this i belive. i think chatter can do it too.

Yeah, what Felipe said.

Snappermail has lots of features over HS Mail, but I continued to used HS Mail for the fact that it didn't disrupt some other app I was using. For instance, when using Wireless Modem, I would be disconnected from the web inexplicably. Then I got the idea of turning off SM's auto fetch, and the disconnects stopped.

Unfortunately I can't use HS Mail anymore, since it was corrupted on my Treo after the last ROM update (selecting a folder or opening a message or attachment causes a soft reset every time), so I'm looking forward to Versamail. I just hope it has background fetching or some sort of easily set up triggered-pull SMS faculty.
    sold! when and where do I get one?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    It's reviews like this that keep me coming back. (Even if I do spend most of my time lurking....)
    Unfortunately I can't use HS Mail anymore, since it was corrupted on my Treo after the last ROM update (selecting a folder or opening a message or attachment causes a soft reset every time), so I'm looking forward to Versamail. I just hope it has background fetching or some sort of easily set up triggered-pull SMS faculty.
    For what it's worth, I had a similar problem and the only way to fix it was the following:

1. Hard Reset
    2. Change the name of the "backup" folder in your Palm profile to something else. This will allow Palm to create a new one. I expected I'd have to reinstall a lot of applications and such, but I didn't have to.
    3. Sync.

This worked for me, but it might not work for everyone. My specific problem was that trying to view, receive, or delete messages caused a soft reset.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    wanderman, thank you again for your wonderful blog! I find myself checking it every day now, to see what else you've added.
    I'm assuming that no one has checked the Vibrate feature or the max volume of the ringers on the 650?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    wanderman:

Thanks for the review, but I have one question about VersaMail that the article didn't address: does VM do background fetching? Lack of this feature has always been SnapperMail's Achilles' Heel on the Treo.
    Gameboy: I'm in the middle of a trial of SnapperMail. Do you know of any Palm app that does background fetching? Is SnapperMail still the best otherwise? How about/do you know about PPC apps? Thanks.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    After going in hiding for a few days on the reporting front I am glad to finally have the Treonauts verdict on the Treo 650, a full in-depth review of both the hardware and software as well as an extensive pictorial report after spending 24 hours playing with the Treo 650 on my own.

Where many of you will know I had some serious reservations before but I am now completely convinced that the Treo 650 is without a doubt the very best smart phone on the planet.

Cheers, W.
    Very helpful review, Wanderman. Did you experience any memory limits. That is still a barrier for me -23 mb sounds so 20th century- especially given the nice DocstoGo and document readers bundle. Is it that the absence of multitasking makes it impossible or unlikely to reach a ceiling? It just puzzles me, bugs me that Palm thought their Tungsten 5 needed or merited 256 mb and their latest and greatest Treo only 23.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 11/03/2004 at 08:06 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Rodolfo wrote:
    Gameboy: I'm in the middle of a trial of SnapperMail. Do you know of any Palm app that does background fetching? Is SnapperMail still the best otherwise? How about/do you know about PPC apps? Thanks.

The generic Mail (aka Handspring Mail) app included with the Treo does background fetching. SM has many more features (user-definable folders, IMAP, attachment support beyond midi and jpeg, server-side message deletion, etc.) but background fetching and the cleaner UI made Mail me first choice for months.

BMac:

When my reset problem started happening with Mail, I tried hard resetting, ROM updating, then restoring my user data. I actually did this three times, but with no luck. At this point, if the Treo is indeed being released in a week or two, I'll just wait and set up Versamail.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Very helpful review, Wanderman. Did you experience any memory limits. That is still a barrier for me -23 mb sounds so 20th century- especially given the nice DocstoGo and document readers bundle. Is it that the absence of multitasking makes it impossible or unlikely to reach a ceiling? It just puzzles me, bugs me that Palm thought their Tungsten 5 needed or merited 256 mb and their latest and greatest Treo only 23.
    No, I didn't experience any memory limits.

As I stated in my review I'm certainly not 'happy' with the 23MB of memory on the Treo 650 (like you it puzzles and bugs me but the overall device still completely wins me over...) So it is no different to my current experience with my Treo 600.

Cheers, W.
  17. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    The November 30 issue of PC Magazine, on page 20, shows a picture of the 650 under the headline "The PDA/Phone That Does it All". Now if it would just come out before my old phone stops working altogether.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123