1.    #1  
    Okay, correct me if i am wrong but i do not know if anyone has brought this up yet. Will the treo 650 support incoming calls during a data transfer (putting the gprs connection 'on hold') till the call is over.

This is a critically important feature for me, i dont want to miss an important client call cuz i got bored and fired up shoutcast, or cuz snapper mail just happened to be recieveing junkmail. Becuase of this reason i never really used shoutcast much on my gsm treo, and i was really weary of going online (yeah, yeah i know that it only directs call to voice mail during ACTIVE data trasfers, but we got to remember the beauty of the treo is that it is a PHONE first!l) Does anyone have the answer to the question?
    Good question! Wondering the same thing about the CDMA/Sprint Treo 650.
    I'm pretty sure that CDMA does not support simultaneous data/voice - that's always been the "selling point" of GSM/GPRS.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    So will GSM/EDGE be able to actually transfer data while simultaneously on a call??? I didn't think that any carriers supported this in the US yet.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I don't believe any GSM carrier currently puts a voice priority, so if data is transferring your incoming call is still diverted to voicemail. However, if you place a call, GPRS gets suspended for the duration of the call (although the application may time-out if the call takes too long).
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    I don't believe any GSM carrier currently puts a voice priority, so if data is transferring your incoming call is still diverted to voicemail. However, if you place a call, GPRS gets suspended for the duration of the call (although the application may time-out if the call takes too long).
    What, this has never been the case. At least with Cingular SoCal GSM, call has always had priority. My GSM data is interrupted for a call, but resumes at the end of it. If I choose to use GPRS for data theat would send a call to voicemail I believe. But the only time I use GPS is when GSM is not avaible or I want to use rollover minutes.
    I think we need some clarification on this question...

If you are in an active GPRS/EDGE connection, as in transferring data, is your connection interrupted, prompting you to answer an incoming call? I think this can be easily tested by someone with a GPRS/EDGE connection.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    What, this has never been the case. At least with Cingular SoCal GSM, call has always had priority. My GSM data is interrupted for a call, but resumes at the end of it. If I choose to use GPRS for data theat would send a call to voicemail I believe. But the only time I use GPS is when GSM is not avaible or I want to use rollover minutes.
    In my GSM experience... during an active data transfer your call shouldn't go through. If you are connected via GPRS but data is not transferring (connected but session idle), incoming calls come through. Once you have a data transfer in progress, it will defer to voicemail.
    I think that answers the question. Same thing happens with CDMA. 1xRTT can maintain an idle session and still take calls, but if the session becomes active, the call is also diverted to voice-mail, like with GSM.
    I believe EV-DV will be the first technology available that allows simultaneous voice and data.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    GSM uses separate parts of the bandwidth for voice and data. The phone may not be able to handle voice and data simultaneously, but GSM can support it.