View Poll Results: Which camera would you rather have

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • .3 meg with white balance and low light capability

96 89.72%
  • 1.3 without low light capibility and perhaps the same problems of the 600 camera

11 10.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious what everyone thinks about this, the .3 meg camera is supposed to have great white balance and be a much better camera, while palmone claims that the 1.3 meg camera would have given us lighting issues because the technology on this camera is still new.

Which camera would you rather have?
    Honestly, I have probably 6 digital cameras from .3 Kodak Digital Science to a Canon 10D 6.3 MP with $4000 worth of lenses. I like the camera that requires me to do the least amount of manipulation and fixing. Although I was happier with the idea of 1.3, I hate the fact that on the 600 you have to wait and fidget to get the exposure decent. I use this camera for fun event shots, not for high quality pictures. I regretable vote for better lighting and white balance, if that was the true cause of the decision. (I am still half believe the Sprint not wanting big file sizes transferred overtheir network, grassy knoll conspiracy theory.)
    If the alternatives are exclusive, the definitely VGA + white balance. I'd rather have usable low res pix than unusable high res pix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobray
    Just curious what everyone thinks about this, the .3 meg camera is supposed to have great white balance and be a much better camera, while palmone claims that the 1.3 meg camera would have given us lighting issues because the technology on this camera is still new.

Which camera would you rather have?
    Personaly, I would rather have a non-camera released on day 1. My little point and shoot works much better.. and for serious stuff, I'm considering a Nikon D70.

If no camera took $50 off the price of the phone, I'd buy it now.
    I would prefer the 1.3 Mp ...BUT, given that we only have 32Mb of RAM to work with, we're probably better off with the .3
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Here are some 1.3 mp camera posts....... wow arent they beautiful? I'd much rather take a versatile .3mp than a crap 1.3

http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...igital_camera/

Like cglaguna said, you dont wanna be sitting wasting time touching up stupid camera phone photos. You just want them to look good right out -- cause they're not worth the touching up efforts anyway..

They dont need to be 5mp. Camera phones are good for --
    1. hey i got into an accident - lemme photograph the scene just in case
    2. wow that's something you dont see every day - neat I dont have regular camera i'll use my phone!
    3. I've been kidnapped, lemme post a picture of my attacker on my moblog and someone will save me
    I don't get it......based on the result of this poll, acknowledging its limited sample size, then why is everyone complaining about the lack of 1.3 mp camera in the Treo 650??

It is known that MP alone does not equate to picture quality!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I don't get it......based on the result of this poll, acknowledging its limited sample size, then why is everyone complaining about the lack of 1.3 mp camera in the Treo 650??

It is known that MP alone does not equate to picture quality!
    I get it. Palm came out and said, yes we were going to put a 1.3 MP camera in but it was having the same problems at the one in the 600 right now. Low lighting and white balance problems.

It like hearing the The New Silverado has a bigger and better engine, but, people at 40,000 miles are already experiencing black smoke and piston skirt failure.

No one expects a 1.3 MP camera to have issues when people are making 14 mp cameras that match film quality. I bought a camcorder at Target that takes MPegs and 3.1 digital stills for $95, Its pretty cool for the price. (cheaper at the store by the way)
    http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00009W2GL
  9.    #9  
    Well, it appears to me that Palmone made the right decision after all!!!
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Rumors got people's expectations up. Figure you spent 2 months excited about a 1.3mpx camera, and then find out it's only 0.3mpx. Doesn't matter how good the VGA cam is, you really wanted the other one because you were hoping for a great 1.3mpx camera.

Like you said, the reality is, if it's crisp, sharp and renders photos well, you're much better off with a good 0.3mpx image than a muddy 1.3mpx image.
    c. dont care...a camera on a phone is pure cosmetic...as long as the pictures are clear (unlike the blue pics of death at present) then im happy
    Camera, I don't need no stinking camera.
    Tough call... and kind of hard to say before seeing if the new camera is really better. We'll see...

* posted from my Treo 600!
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ
    Personaly, I would rather have a non-camera released on day 1. My little point and shoot works much better.. and for serious stuff, I'm considering a Nikon D70.

If no camera took $50 off the price of the phone, I'd buy it now.
    I'm with you on the non-camera version on the first day. In fact, I won't (can't) buy one if it does have a camera.

And on the D70, do it... I got it and it's awesome, especially for the price
    Quote Originally Posted by agrelck
    In fact, I won't (can't) buy one if it does have a camera.
    And that's why they are releasing a non-camera version shortly after.

I'm pretty surprised at the poll results so far. Maybe it's partly influenced by the fact that this has already been decided... so we might as well deal with it? I wonder how different the results would've been if this poll was started a couple weeks ago?
    Robert
    I myself am actually surprised by the results... I personally am for the VGA camera after hearing the options, but I thought that you all (the community) would still have wanted the 1.3.. I guess I interpreted the community wrong, and palmone honestly made the best choice given the decisions.. now why did we ever doubt them (oh yeah, 23 MB of memory)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Hi Guys
    .3 with better quality images (hopefully!). Camera is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

All the other stuff you can do with the device far outway any camera issues for me.

Results are suprising given the amount of whining that has been going on.

Cheers
    BBKBAZ
    Quote Originally Posted by BBKBAZ
    Hi Guys
    .3 with better quality images (hopefully!). Camera is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.
    That's how I felt when I first got the Treo 600... but the camera became much more important, as you can see by visiting my moblog

My biggest problem with the camera was the inability to take decent pics in anything but great lighting... so I'll be happy if they really addressed that.
    Robert
    Given poor lighting conditions and for what it is worth, here is pics from both cameras today at the Long Beach Palm 1 Roadshow.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=60680
    Robert the photos on your moblog are pretty cool. Based on these plus the visible difference in quality in cglaguna's photo's it looks like the camera may well decent enough after all.

Cheers
    BBKBAZ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast