View Poll Results: Which camera would you rather have

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • .3 meg with white balance and low light capability

96 89.72%
  • 1.3 without low light capibility and perhaps the same problems of the 600 camera

11 10.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    And that's why they are releasing a non-camera version shortly after.
    Was the necessary? I know that they are releasing a non-camera version. Most of what I have read has said that they will be release simultaneously... it would truly suck if they didn't, but I've waited this long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert K.
    And that's why they are releasing a non-camera version shortly after.

I'm pretty surprised at the poll results so far. Maybe it's partly influenced by the fact that this has already been decided... so we might as well deal with it? I wonder how different the results would've been if this poll was started a couple weeks ago?
    -lol so true!

But you also have to note the semantics of the Poll. One choice was clearly the smarter choice.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    -lol so true!

But you also have to note the semantics of the Poll. One choice was clearly the smarter choice.
    Good point Mell
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Quote Originally Posted by agrelck
    Was the necessary?
    No, I don't suppose it was necessary

But not every thread about the camera has to include a gripe regarding the non-camera version. That is a subject as out of place in this thread as a complaint about no wi-fi.

The last thing I was told by a Sprint rep I talked to (a week or so ago) is that the non-camera version will be released very soon after the camera version. With the Treo 600 the release of a non-camera version appeared to be in reaction to previously unanticipated demand. This time around they know what people want.
    Robert
    I would rather have a clear pic with low res than a higher res as bad as the 600 pics. I only use the camera for picture caller id and fun pics. I have the Nikon D70 and it is a great camera with super pictures and resolution. If you are looking for a Prosumer digital I highly recommend the D70.
    I think someone really needs to question PalmOne on the quality issue, because they are lieing about it and I don't really mind the fact that they don't have a 1.2 mpx but I think they should tell the truth about it.

Here's why:

Everytime I upgrade Treo's it's a couple of months before my lady friend has just upgraded her Zire. Two years ago she had a Zire 71 with a VGA camera. A couple months after this I got my Treo 600. The VGA Camera on the Zire 71 worked perfectly. The Treo 600 that was released AFTER the Zire 71 had a camera that wasn't nearly the quality.

Now this summer, she had a Zire 72. It's got a 1.2 Megapixel camera and the pictures from it look great. None of the problems that the Treo 600 had. I haven't seen any quality issues with any of her pictures and she hasn't had to take any twice or three times like I always have to do with my 600.

If it were true that there are uncontrollable quality issues with cameras, then how come they release devices months before with cameras without these quality issues? They have great cameras in EXISTING devices.

I don't think this marketing bs about the quality of the camera not being good enough. Either they didn't put it in do to cost constraints or the carriers didn't want cameras that were sending large things on their networks.

I'm not sure which, but we shouldn't let them lie to us.
    Quality over quantity (i.e. # pixels) for me. It's such a powerful tool to have a useable camera (which the 600 did not have) for quick shots of things you don't want to or have the time to write down (helps my short term memory). Being able to email the pic immediately is also very powerful. If you had a standalone camera, how are you going to email the pic? Are there bluetooth cameras?
    While there may be better higher resolution cameras out there, I think what Palm meant by saying those were their two choices is that they could go with one of those two cameras without having to raise the price of the 650. A better quality higher resolution camera would have likely driven the price of the 650 up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I don't think this marketing bs about the quality of the camera not being good enough. Either they didn't put it in do to cost constraints or the carriers didn't want cameras that were sending large things on their networks.
    Well I posed the carrier question to them at the Roadshow. I asked that if the 650 really sells well (meaning big cash influx) would the carriers have as much say in the design. Because I beleive the camera issue is mainly carrier related.

They that the carriers are deeply intrenched in the design of these now. It's not like the past where you just pop in the sim card and it works. Treos offer so many features that they carrier must be involved and must approve of how they are designed or they won't support the unit. So I got the impresssion that they were trying to say that yes, maybe it might be carrier related because of the camera, but we obviously cannot tell you that because if we bash the carriers, we can't sell our product.

I think a lot has changed since Handspring used to design around networks, onw they are being forced to work with them to get support. I had an early Treo and I had to find settings on the internet to get internet function working and I worked closely with one exceptionally nice Cingular lady who help me make it work. But I was not allowed to tell Cingular I was using a Treo before Cingular actually accepted it.
    Consider the following quote from an article on Treocentral:

"Greg Shirai acknowledged that for a time, palmOne was planning to include a 1.3 MP camera in the Treo 650. However as palmOne got further into the process, they discovered that the 1.3 MP camera exhibitied similar low-light qualities as the current Treo 600 camera. palmOne wanted a camera that would work in any situation, since the disappointing quality was one of the more vocal complaints about the Treo 600, and felt that good low lighting support was more important than higher resolution. So it was not a cost issue, but a technical one. The VGA camera, in essence, is a generation ahead of the 1.3 MP cameras."

They claim that it is a technical issue when they already have devices on the market that can do it. Not a carrier issue and not a cost issue.

Article found here: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm
    Maybe the other devices' 1.3mp cameras suck?
    Maybe the other devices have more room than the treo for a better camera?
    I think Palm is falling behind. The camera is sad. I am sure they did have to make a trade-off - in business it is natural. However, why they could not include a good 1.3Mp camera, more memory, and WIFI? This is not an unreasonable question. These technologies are available (the Treo 700, if it were to have all of this and if it were to be released next month, would not be leading edge technology). With a convergence device like the Treo, I am not expecting a 7+Mp camera, nor a gig of memory, nor, nor, nor..... but I was expecting better than the T650... instead, it should be called the T601.... If this seems harsh, it is not, the market will be much more ruthless to anyone that falls behind. But, I still hope that Palm will quickly improve and win.
    The lack of a higher resolution camera is my biggest disappointment with the 650. My second least favorite feature on the 650 is that it only has 23MB of useable internal storage? This is weaker than weak. C'mon Palm...wake up and innovate!!!

My opinion is that Palm made a huge mistake by not making it a priority to get a high quality 1.3 or 2 Megapixel camera on the Treo 650. I think they don’t get it like they did not get it when they put the 160x160 screen on the original 600.

Think about how much more successful the Treo 600 would have been if it had a 320x320 screen?

I hear people say it does not matter becasue they have a D70 or a 5 megapixel camera, so they say they don't care. But who wants to carry around a camera and a Treo? The whole point of a Treo is to have a device that does everything well...basically a good Swiss Army knife.

Oh well! I guess next October we will see a Treo 700 with a 480x320 screen and hopefully a 2 or 3 megapixel camera.

That being said, I am extremely impressed with the 650.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/30/2004 at 05:37 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Like many, I was just floored that the new Treo did not have the 1.3 camera we were all expecting. But it's looking like the quality of pics maynot be in that element alone afterall.

Seeing is believing (well most of the time) -lol

Here is a link from a newly posted thread here on TC that shows the pic quality difference in the 600 and the 650:

http://www.bomad.com/photos/treo_650...ari/index.html

Thanks poster 80808080!!!
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 10/30/2004 at 05:51 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Maybe the other devices' 1.3mp cameras suck?
    The camera's on the Zire don't suck. The camera on the Treo 650 looks to be very similar to the VGA camera on the Zire 71 released months before the Treo 600.

Both the Zire 71 and the Zire 72 take excellent pictures. It isn't some big feat for them to put a decent camera a palm pilot. The whole idea that we had to choose between a 1.3 mp that sucked and a vga that rules is silly. Smartphone users just tend to get the short end of the stick

Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    If you had a standalone camera, how are you going to email the pic? Are there bluetooth cameras?
    If you want to email pictures from a digital camera the best way to solve this is having a digital camera that uses an sd card (Minolta's Dimage series is excellent) and then putting the sd card into the Treo, which is a bit of a process, but still possible. Maybe Nokia or Sony Ericsson make bluetooth cameras, but I don't think they are good or necessarily compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    Oh well! I guess next October we will see a Treo 700 with a 480x320 screen and hopefully a 2 or 3 megapixel camera.
    Yup hopefully also with some more RAM and Wifi Somehow I wouldn't expect anything over 1.2. Although the other smartphones might give palm a run for their money. The Mpx even includes a flash

I do really like the 650 and my biggest complaint will prolly be the lack of RAM. I think maybe they should change the os so that stuff can go on a card and then be loaded into ram. So most software didn't require being in ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Like many, I was just floored that the new Treo did not have the 1.3 camera we were all expecting. But it's looking like the quality of pics maynot be in that element alone afterall.

Seeing is believing (well most of the time) -lol

Here is a link from a newly posted thread here on TC that shows the pic quality difference in the 600 and the 650:

http://www.bomad.com/photos/treo_650...ari/index.html

Thanks poster 80808080!!!
    These pics tell quite a story...... it's going to take me a while to re-train myself to remember that I can take pictures inside
    Robert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12