Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's kind of the Treo way...Hey at least with the 650 you won't have to buy your own mail client too.
    There was a guy selling the cradles on eBay before they were available just about anywhere else for about 50% of retail. Same cradle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK2
    I just don't understand why all the other PalmOne products have a cradle included, but the Treos don't. It's silly, and makes no real sense except to get more money from us.
    Uh, the m100, m105, Zire, Zire 21, Zire 31, and Tungsten T5 didn't/don't come with a cradle. And neither have ANY Treos.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    they didn't do it with the T600 either. a little disappointing, but you can pick one up pretty cheap on ebay. `
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Uh, the m100, m105, Zire, Zire 21, Zire 31, and Tungsten T5 didn't/don't come with a cradle. And neither have ANY Treos.

Well, the Palms that I've had in the past al came with them, and my most recent one was a Zire 71.

I guess I just don't understand why they just don't include these kinds of things since most people end up buying them anyway. It's a lot more wear and tear on connectors to plug in those HotSync cables than it is to slip it into a cradle (I would think).

I know I'm not going to win on this, but this is the first thing about the 650 that I've found to complain about. (contrary to a lot of others on this board )

Mike
    I am Treo since the beginning and none of them ever included a cradle. If they included the cradle then we would be complaining that the didn't include the travel charger, which the current set up doubles as.
    The Zire line does not include cradles either, but that's beside the point...

When using a Treo daily, there's a strong likelihood that you will need to use the phone function while it's charging. This is difficult to do perform while it's sitting in a cradle. However, with the included USB Hotsync/Charge cable you can use the phone and/or PDA functions with minimum discomfort.

Yes, you could use the speakerphone while it's in the cradle... but that too is slightly cumbersome to initiate and not always as appropriate as simply placing the phone to your ear. This is just plain ol' logic. The cradle will remain an accessory because it is not optimal for everyones basic usage habits.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Actually, the Zire 71 did include a cradle, but I see now that PalmOne has begun not including them with any of the current models.

I still think it's silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz

When using a Treo daily, there's a strong likelihood that you will need to use the phone function while it's charging. This is difficult to do perform while it's sitting in a cradle. However, with the included USB Hotsync/Charge cable you can use the phone and/or PDA functions with minimum discomfort.

Yes, you could use the speakerphone while it's in the cradle... but that too is slightly cumbersome to initiate and not always as appropriate as simply placing the phone to your ear. This is just plain ol' logic. The cradle will remain an accessory because it is not optimal for everyones basic usage habits.
    I think that was true, but now with Bluetooth available it'd be optimum to have the phone in the cradle charging while I'm using my BT headset. Just another thing to buy...
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    No, I saw that. I'm just annoyed that they can't include a cradle for the phone when they include one with all of there PDA's.

Mike
    Dude it works exactly the same...onl its not standing upright....
    Seriously people, you need to stop whining. These are minuscule elements. Be thankful for the phone itself...It is a blessing!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    Seriously people, you need to stop whining. These are minuscule elements. Be thankful for the phone itself...It is a blessing!!!
    There is one issue that is not whining - if you build a PDA or converged device with removable battery, that is USELESS without a cradle that can charge a spare battery.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11.    #31  
    Jove, you misunderstood my annoyance.

First of all, there is a difference between a cradle that requires one hand to just drop it in, and a plug in cable that requires two hands, and some additional wear and tear on the connector. Functionsally, yes, it's very similar.

Second, I am completely not whining about this like many others are about other 650 expectations. I am buying the 650. I made up my mind on that as soon as bluetooth and a hi-res screen were confirmed. This is way to small of an issue to disuade me from that upgrade.

I just wondered what others thought of this since Palm has gone back and forth with including cradles in the past. Personally, I think a cradle should be included with every Palm device, but I guess I'm alone in that thought.

Mike

Seriously, this is not one of "those" whining posts.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    There is one issue that is not whining - if you build a PDA or converged device with removable battery, that is USELESS without a cradle that can charge a spare battery.
    You did go to the PalmOne link that has the accessory cradle, that I posted earlier, right? It does have the capacity for charging a second battery in addition to the phone iteself. The cradle just isn't included with the Treo. That was my initial issue.

Mike
    On my 650, I hotsync over bluetooth to my laptop, thereby circumventing the need for a hotsync cradle (and allowing me to sync while sitting in the living room while my laptop is in my bedroom). I charge by simply plugging in the power cord directly to the unit.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Jove, you misunderstood my annoyance.

First of all, there is a difference between a cradle that requires one hand to just drop it in, and a plug in cable that requires two hands, and some additional wear and tear on the connector. Functionsally, yes, it's very similar.

Second, I am completely not whining about this like many others are about other 650 expectations. I am buying the 650. I made up my mind on that as soon as bluetooth and a hi-res screen were confirmed. This is way to small of an issue to disuade me from that upgrade.

I just wondered what others thought of this since Palm has gone back and forth with including cradles in the past. Personally, I think a cradle should be included with every Palm device, but I guess I'm alone in that thought.

Mike

Seriously, this is not one of "those" whining posts.
    K...but still... you are complaining over "sliding you phone into a cradle" or "using two hands to plug in the chord"!!!! OH MY GOD!!! Does anyone else see this as a bit strange???
  15.    #35  
    K...but still... you are complaining over "sliding you phone into a cradle" or "using two hands to plug in the chord"!!!! OH MY GOD!!! Does anyone else see this as a bit strange???
    Yeah, I know. It's trivial. My point was that unlike everyone posting the "this device is garbage" because it doesn't have XXXXX threads, I posted an issue that was totally trivial because I truly don't think there is anything significant to complain about with the 650.

Again, I am planning to buy the 650 as soon as it's widely available. Not having a cradle has nothing to do with that decision. I just think, in general, that it's odd for a device like this, whether it's the 650 or not, to not have a charge/sync cradle as standard equipment. I have the same complaint, among others, for the Motorola MPx.

I'm really not trying to start a "let's sue PalmOne" kind of thread.

Mike
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12