Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I understand that ACT for Palm no long sync with the Treo Contacts database so searching a contact that databse might yield poor or no result. Information is only as current as it was just prior to adding ACT! for Palm.

So, should I remove the Treo Contacts database? Or, as would prefer, can I still sync both databases?

If not, the phone hard button defaults to ACT contacts if you are viewing a contact record in ACT. Is there a way to control the hard buttons from within ACT?
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    I was thinking of adding ACT! to my phone. I look forward to seeing the answer.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    ACT for Palm is very wel thought out and, if you are willing to dedicate enough memory to it, can hold virtually all of what your desktop version does...with the exception of doc attachments I believe.

However, it isn't Treo friendly...the five way button sin't integrated well and the problems I noted with the dialer exist...
    Technology Rules!
    Would this app. add the 5-way nav. to ACT!? http://www.treotools.com/itm00003.htm

I'm not an ACT! user but would be interested if this fixes the problem.

PalmLover
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLover
    Would this app. add the 5-way nav. to ACT!? http://www.treotools.com/itm00003.htm

I'm not an ACT! user but would be interested if this fixes the problem.

PalmLover
    I'll try that out tomorrow and update you! Thanks!
    Technology Rules!
    Thanks very much for the recommendation for Treo Tweak. I promptly downloaded the trial version. While it is not perfect for ACT it certainly adds a moderate amount of 5-way control to ACT for Palm that it doesn't already have! A few more days and I'll likely spring for the 5 bucks (Canadian!).
    That's great news! Not seeing the before and after, I don't know what you mean by "moderate" but I assume that it is better than it was without Treo Tweak. And for $5 Canadian, that's the price of a Starbucks coffee

Cudos to Thacker.

PalmLover
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLover
    That's great news! Not seeing the before and after, I don't know what you mean by "moderate" but I assume that it is better than it was without Treo Tweak. And for $5 Canadian, that's the price of a Starbucks coffee

Cudos to Thacker.

PalmLover
    Yes..thanks for the tip! It didn't totally integrate but it certainly made making calls easier!
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by h_scott
    Thanks very much for the recommendation for Treo Tweak. I promptly downloaded the trial version. While it is not perfect for ACT it certainly adds a moderate amount of 5-way control to ACT for Palm that it doesn't already have! A few more days and I'll likely spring for the 5 bucks (Canadian!).
    Curious how literate you are with the ACT for Palm OS...

Does the OEM contact databse cease to sync once you begin to sync the ACT database? It seems that I don't get all my updates to contacts..but I do get the changes made to the calendar..

Also..it appears as though once you launch ACT!, using the hard button..it takes over the phone hard button as well..in order to get back to the phone app you need to go home or to email first..then you use the phone hard button to access the phone..

Do you have the same functionality?
    Technology Rules!
    Mike - If you sync ACT with ACT For Palm (AFP) I don't believe that the data will go into the OEM contact manager. I don't use the OEM contact or calendar programs at all.

AFP does take control of the hard buttons on the Treo but they are used to move between different screens / layouts. I also go to home before launching the phone. You can download a dialer update for AFP (on the ACT website) that allows you to dial from AFP once you have located the proper contact. This saves some back and forth. I use it and it's worthwhile if you run AFP.
    Let ACT know now that you are interested in an update for ACT! for Palm OS via http://act.com/products/other/palm/notify
    and also call Customer Service asking for details on when they will have an update for the Treo 650 Palm OS v5.4 ****CALL- 877-386-8083 ****
    I love ACT for Palm and I look forward to trying the tool noted above. Maybe it's my configuration for syncing, but the only data that goes into the OEM calendar are current and future to-do's on My Record. While I'm out traveling and clear those items only the ACT db reflects the change. Once I get home and sync those items will be removed from the OEM app. Regarding contacts, if I modify or add a new contact on my Treo I do it in Act. Again, when I sync the change will be reflected in the OEM contact list.
    MikeM...how did it change making calls, are you able to dial directly from ACT? I downloaded the trial and it does make navigating easier but I can't still can't dial directly from the app.
    It wokrs well and thanks for the tip on the app for the 5 way.
    Jimbo
    I just downloaded the telephony hotfix for AFP from act.com, between Treo Tweek and the hotfix AFP is much more user-friendly.
    I gave up ACT for Palm when ACT said it would not work with the 650. I had it running well on the 600, although it had frustrating shortcomings that ACT never got around to fixing, such as not updating the Contacts address book outside ACT for Palm. Supposedly there's an update coming, but ACT hasn't set a date. Meanwhile, I've switched to CompanionLink Pro, which does a very fast sync and seems to handle most of the issues ACT for Palm couldn't. Reliability and resets are still a major problem, but I think that's the 650, not the third-party software.
    Hello all. Below is the email thread which I sent on Saturday and received on Monday.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Good morning, I just got in to the office to day and read your email.

it is correct the Treo 650 is not supported because it has a new palm Operating system on it version 5.4 this means the Tungsten T5 is not supported also.

act for palm os for act 6.0 will not have any updated coming out because it's at the end of it's life cycle and we are currently working on act 7.0 products. We are in the process of testing the treo 650 to come out with a supported version of act link and act for palm os for act 7.0 but we don't have an ETA at this time, how ever the treo 600 is supported and will work great.

if your an act 6.0 user I have seen act link 2.0 with on the treo 650 but it's hasn't been tested by BestSoftware and not supported if you have issues with it. act link for act 7.0 doesn't work at this time on the treo 650.

Joshua Tijerina
    ACT! PDA Product Lead
    Customer Support Analyst
    ACT! Service & Support
    BestSoftware Small Business Division
    Visit www.Bestsoftware.com for more information about our company and products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 3:54 PM
    To: Joshua.Tijerina@bestsoftware.com
    Subject: Act for Palm OS on Treo 650 help

Hello Sir!!

I am writing you as a long-term (since DOS) Act! User. I simply cannot live without your product.

That being said, I am seeking to upgrade to the new Treo 650 phone. I have done an amazing amount of research on the net and have come to the conclusion that Act for Palm OS is NOT supported on the Treo 650.

Joshua, can you tell me if that is correct?
    Can you tell me if there is a patch I am unaware of and how to get it?
    Can you tell me when I can expect this to be fixed from my mission critical software provider? Most sales bots (as I am one of them) use the Treo and Act is a fav app for us all.

Thanks, in advance for your prompt reply.
    Act for Palm does not work on the 650. Act and Best Software are promising a new AFP that will work with the 650 and I think they are saying it will work with Act 2005.
    Presently your only complete Treo choice is Act 6.0 and Act for Palm with the updates and treotweak on a Treo 600. This works ok in terms of navigation and excellant in terms of syncing with Act 6.0. Complete two way communication of notes, calendar, history.
    Most people are using the Act calendar and contact base for their work and the palm calendar and contact info for their personal stuff.
    There are some other workarounds involving companion link and or outlook, but keeping them seperate works great for me.
    I do stick a few contacts from Act into my personal Treo contacts to give me caller ID.
    Presently if you go from Act 6.0 to Act 2005 you are scr#*#d because nothing syncs with any Treo and you cannot convert your data base on your PC back to 6.0. and nothing works with Act 2005 and Act for Palm and any Treo.
    Act 6.0 and Act for Palm and Treo 600 do give true sync and decent funtionality.
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    I've got a 650 and I installed the latest act for palm on it (6.0 based). Reading is possible, creating and editing not.
    I found this in another thread. Have tried Companionlink for 5 days now. No crashes, 2 way sync works, uses OEM calander, phone. No problems. Will pay at the end of 14 day trial.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=113

crp was acurate about Companionlink. Works well with ACT.

I am able to sync DIRECTLY with Act. Their website says it is compatable with Act 2005. So far a huge life saver. I might push it to the next level and see if it works with Agendus and the 650. Agendus may have some nice options not available in OEM.
    Last edited by ratenterm; 03/19/2005 at 12:50 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast