1.    #1  
    I've never had a Treo before, and currently using Nokia 6800 (been with ATT for years) and a Palm Vx. Was offered Blackberrry 7100t for $99 with one year contract with T-Mobile.

At first I thought about getting it (at least to have some wireless email capability) and then later giving it to my wife once the 650 came out through T-Mobile. (they have $19.95/month data plan that supposively will be good for any data device) but now I'm hearing that T-Mo may not have it for a while.

Not sure whether I should get the Blackberry & switch carriers, or stay with ATT and grab a Treo 600 (would miss BT) at a discount, or wait till ATT gets the 650 and spend the big bucks. I don't care about the camera, but I really wish it had wifi.

Recommendations?
    if you want to do email and smsing, you get the blackberry

for everything else you go treo (well mostly everything else)
    I have had the Blackberry and loved it! I now own the Treo 600 (soon the 650). I think "hofo mofo" summed it up very well. The Treo really buys you more flexability. Now that I have had my Treo for 3 months I couldn't go back. It does everything as well as the BB but with more programs and of course the built in Camera is nice.

Good Luck.
    I tried 7100t for the 14 day trial TMo offers. My priorities of accessing Exchange email with robust attachment handling and calendar sync. The BB did not handle these quite well enough for me (my Company does not have a BES). It was close though. I was making every effort to avoid using a desktop redirector which will be avoided with VersaMail 3.0 and the attachment handling has shortcomings compared with a Treo with Docs to Go.

Anyway, I found the 7100t to be a fairly good device - TMo has a good data plan and $199 for the device - that is a good price point. Probably worth a try, but for me, the Treo is worth the wait.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    Go for the Treo 650 if you want the Treo over the BB. There are hardware quality issues with the T600 ( for me anyway). My 4th replacement is coming next week
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    How did you find the keyboard input on the 7100t? Did you get used to the input method which guesses your word as you type. Having the 2-letter keys seems like a great idea but I worry that you would have to focus on the screen all the time to ensure the input guess is what you expected it had typed. I really like a QWERTY keyboard for that reason - you just focus on the keys and your attention is not split.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    How did you find the keyboard input on the 7100t? Did you get used to the input method which guesses your word as you type. Having the 2-letter keys seems like a great idea but I worry that you would have to focus on the screen all the time to ensure the input guess is what you expected it had typed. I really like a QWERTY keyboard for that reason - you just focus on the keys and your attention is not split.

I sold my T600 today for $275 (used the Treo line for a couple of years). I purchased the 7100T last week at T-Mobile and have LOVED IT. The keyboard actually feels better to me than having to find lots of tining "dot" keys. You actually look at the screen less as you trust that the 7100T will give you the right word after a while (sometimes you have to type most of the word for it to resolve correctly so looking at the screen isn't the best idea). It is a little quirky for email addresses and web addresses but you can fall back on double typing the key vs. using the text technology.

For me T-Mobile's sound quality on this device is at least 10 times better than my T600 and my company uses BES so it was pretty much a slam dunk (on top of needing to go to Europe a few times this year so Sprint was causing me issues).

I LOVE the screen resolution, etc. To me 7100T:Treo 600 = Mac OSX:Win 98 (in terms of usability, stability, nice interface).

BB does have some navigation quirks with the scrollwheel but they are tolerable for the gains in work productivity (if that is what you are about).
    I am in the process of sending back my second T600, the first one had orange dots all over the screen after 4 days. This one continues to freeze when I finish a call. Before I sent it back to T-Mobile I decided to order a BB 7100, to give it a try. I still have a few days to return the T600, so I could compare the BB and the T600 side by side.

I got the 7100 today, and so far, I am not happy at all. The reception is horrible, I barely get a signal anywhere in my house, except right in my front window. The Treo 600 gets close to full signal anywhere in the house. Most of the time experimenting with the 7100 today, the phone was searching for a signal.

The IM does not work on the 7100, never connects. This is a known issue with T-Mobile and they don't have a fix for it. It works for some people and not for others. This is the IM program built into the device.

I can't see the 7100 screen outside without covering it with my hand and squinting.

Finally, the OS is very slow moving between screens, setting up email, etc. I am not impressed with it at all, so I will be sending it back tomorrow. The $199 price was great incentive, but not enough to keep it. Also, the $19.95 data plan I had for the Treo didn't work with the BB, they had to change it to a Data plan for BB, same price, $19.95 per month. Now I will need to call them and switch it back so my Treo will work online again.

So now, I need to decide if I return this (2nd) Treo and go back to my old Nokia until the 650 is available, or just keep getting replacement 600's. Both of them going bad in the first 2 weeks has been good for me because T-Mobile gives me NEW units as replacements rather than refurbs. But they also want $499 for the T600, so if I commit to keeping it, I will be in it deep, and have to come up with at least that much again when the 650 comes out. If I dump it for now, I get my money back. Then I can buy the 650 with the money later.

Sorry for the babbling, just wanted to give my experience.
    I would have expected everyone on a Treo message board to be such rabid fans that they'd easily pick the Treo. Nice to see how fair everyone is.

I agree with hofo mofo. If you 90% of your needs are phone and email go with Blackberry. If you want to do email/phone AND listen to music, do some wordprocessing, use a dictionary, watch a movie, etc. go with the Treo or some other smartphone (PDA2k?).
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the input to date. My needs are more phone & email at the present time. Our company is small and doesn't have MS Exchange or a BB server so I wonder how the 7100t will do with just regular POP3 accounts.

Also, just started using a SPAM blocker called ChoiceMail. It's working well. Shocking to know that over 50% of my email is junk. Wonder how accessing email wireless-ly will work in conjunction with the spam blocker.
    If you don't have a BB server, there really is no reason to get a BB. I would suggest the Treo - much more flexible device. Plus you have your choice in email programs (Snapper, Chatter, Eudora, Verichat, others)
    Quote Originally Posted by Family1st
    Thanks for the input to date. My needs are more phone & email at the present time. Our company is small and doesn't have MS Exchange or a BB server so I wonder how the 7100t will do with just regular POP3 accounts.

Also, just started using a SPAM blocker called ChoiceMail. It's working well. Shocking to know that over 50% of my email is junk. Wonder how accessing email wireless-ly will work in conjunction with the spam blocker.
    The TMo service includes Blackberry Web Mail. I am pretty sure you can configure it to push your POP3 mail out to you, you can config the BB to make it have your POP3 as the sent from address so users will not see any difference.

RE: the spam filter, I am not sure how that will work - I am unfamiliar with choicemail.

BTW - the keyboard was fine, I did get used to it. However, it felt a little flimsy, I wished they had rounded the keys slightly, I did not find it to be any better or worse than a 600 or T|C keyboard for typing emails. Better though for dialing phone #s due to the larger size.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    Is it just me, or have Blackberry still not got their styling right?

The older Blackberrys always looked and felt like good, solid devices. Something that a businessman would be happy to pull out of a pocket, but never very 'cool'. The Treo 600 is very good, everyone I know says it looks really great, a good mix of business and 'cool'.

IMHO, the new Blackberrys (7100t in the US and 7100v in the UK) just look a bit cheap and plastic, (especially the UK version). I know it's what it does that counts, and I'd never buy a device like this just for the looks, but I'd have to think hard about getting a new Blackberry.
  14.    #14  
    Package from T-Mobile arrived today. I got invoiced $100 plus there's a $100 rebate form in the box. Hmmmm.....does this mean when I send it in I'll have gotten the 7100t for free?!!!!?!?!?! Here's hoping....