1.    #1  
    Can someone please explain unlocked to me?? Who does it? What exactly does it mean?

I am a sprint user and posted a question recently whether I can use a GSM 650 since sprint provides international roaming for their GSM phones? Is it the same service? NY Metro (primarily long island area) user
    Larry
    sprint is cdma, not gsm.

gsm phones use sim cards to "work." these sim cards come from the carrier. usually when you det a subsedized phone, the carier locks the phone. what this means is that you can't use another carriers sim with the subserdized phone.

for example if you were to get a locked ATT phone you could not use it with a cingular or T-mobile sim card.

once the carrier unlocks the phone, you can put and gem carrier sim card into the phone and be able to use it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Sprint told me that I could roam internationally only with their GSM phones...just a quote from them... is there another service from sprint...anyone?
    Larry
    If you look on their web site, they do sell GSM phones but they can only be used outside the US. If you get a Sprint SIM and an unlocked 650, it might be possible to use internationally but you wouldn't be able to use it in the US without a contract from another provider

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Pa...=1098913042774
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    If you look on their web site, they do sell GSM phones but they can only be used outside the US. If you get a Sprint SIM and an unlocked 650, it might be possible to use internationally but you wouldn't be able to use it in the US without a contract from another provider

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Pa...=1098913042774
    wow those phones sucks bigtime