Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TreoTweak lets you change some of the default system behaviours on the Treo 600 smartphone from Handspring/PalmOne, to make your use of the Treo more efficient and enjoyable.

http://www.treotools.com/itm00003.htm

Also available on PalmGear, SmartPhoneTools, and coming soon on Handango.

TreoTweak lets you change these settings:
    - Show incoming and missed calls in the Redial list in the Phone app, as well as showing outgoing calls you made!
    - Add the ability to search as you type in non-alphabetical popup lists, in addition to alphabetical popup lists!
    - Enable 5-way navigation support for all applications on the Treo, even apps that do not have their own Treo nav support!
    - Allow the Treo navigation focus ring to wrap around from top to bottom, or vice versa, instead of stopping at the top or bottom!
    - Make the Treo's USB controller pretend that it is an older Palm device, to aid in USB compatibility with old PCs.

Once you have enabled any TreoTweak options, they take effect immediately. You can also let TreoTweak reapply those settings after a reset, or let them go back to the factory defaults if desired.

TreoTweak is simple and intuitive to use, and the Help screen provides more information about each option.

Let TreoTweak turn you into a Treo Power User!
    Very, very nice. I like the navigation wrap and it works with most of my old apps. Thanks! I've registered already -- good price!
    I tried using TreoTweak with FileZ. Previously, the nav bar worked inside the file listings, so you could scroll up or down the list of files. Now, you can only navigate the buttons outside the file listing (like "Close", etc.). Is there a way to move the navigation backi "inside" the app's filelist window so you can scroll through the window?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  4.    #4  
    Greetings,

Thank you for your interest in TreoTweak. The home URL for it is http://www.treotools.com/itm00003.htm and it is also available on PalmGear, Handango, and SmartPhoneTools.

Let me try to explain how the auto 5-way nav support works.

When Handspring designed the 5-way nav support in the Treo600, they implemented both an application-controlled method and a system-automatic method. Their developer documentation stresses that for "proper" 5-way navigation, the application should should add the necessary resources to handle it on an application-controlled basis. For those applications that do not natively support the recommended 5-way nav resources, they also added the system-automatic mode. It takes a "best guess" as to how 5-way nav should work on any given form.

Handspring decided to disable the system-automatic navigation support by default, presumably based on testing with third party apps in which it didn't work as expected. They allowed developers to turn on this automatic mode on a form by form basis within their apps, for those that did not want to add "proper" 5-way support. In a lot of cases, this automatic support works just fine.

What TreoTweak does is tweak this behaviour so that the system-automatic 5-way nav support is enabled everywhere. This means that if an app does not natively support 5-way nav using the recommended resources, then the Treo system software will make its best guess and support it that way.

It is important to note that TreoTweak does not do anything on an application by application basis: all it does is change the Treo's default mode to enable the system-automatic behaviour. The actual behaviour is carried out by the Treo system software, not by TreoTweak.

Yes, there will be examples where the system-automatic 5-way support does not work as desired for various apps. I am certain that is why Handspring disabled this setting by default.

TreoTweak gives power users the option to decide for themselves if they want the system-automatic 5-way nav enabled or not. For some users, depending on the apps they use, it might be best to leave the system-automatic nav support off, and for others (such as myself), enabling automatic 5-way support is beneficial.

I encourage you to download the trial version of TreoTweak and try it out for yourself. If you find it useful, great, please go ahead and buy it. If you do not find it useful, that's fine too, please go ahead and delete it.

I do not have any plans at this time to try to implement any application-by-application support in TreoTweak: it will continue to operate on a system-wide "all or nothing" basis.

Also, please remember that in addition to the "automatic 5-way everywhere" option in TreoTweak, it also supports other tweaks that you may find useful regardless of the auto nav support.

Regards,

David Thacker
    PalmOS Certified Developer
    http://www.TreoTools.com

P.S. Please contact me by email through my website for followup, as I do not visit message forums very often, thanks!
    TreoTools.com:

I do hope you will reconsider including application-by-application functionality - ie., the ability to set which programs will have 5-way nav support enabled and which ones don't. I too use FileZ, and have had the same problem shneor described when I use DateBk5. These are two enormously popular programs, and the ability to make TreoTweak shut off that mode when using them (or other user-designated programs) would make the program significantly more useful. The lack of built-in 5-way support is a shortcoming of many programs, and application-by-application settings would allow your program to fill a huge void. I, for one, would be willing to may for the program if had that capability; without it, I would probably use your program only for the focus ring wrap.

As a long time Treo 600 user with many Treo 600 owner friends, I believe there are many who feel the same way and would like to see this wonderful new program reach its full potential.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cisco187
    TreoTools.com:

I do hope you will reconsider including application-by-application functionality - ie., the ability to set which programs will have 5-way nav support enabled and which ones don't. I too use FileZ, and have had the same ...

As a long time Treo 600 user with many Treo 600 owner friends, I believe there are many who feel the same way and would like to see this wonderful new program reach its full potential.

Thank you for your feedback.

Persistence may get you somewhere after all...

If you can get 10 people to contact me throught the Inquiry link on my web page (not post on the forum), and pledge to buy TreoTweak if I add that feature, I will do it.

Click on the blue Inquire About This Item button, with full address & phone number details:

Regards,

David Thacker
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoTools.com
    Thank you for your feedback.

Persistence may get you somewhere after all...

If you can get 10 people to contact me throught the Inquiry link on my web page (not post on the forum), and pledge to buy TreoTweak if I add that feature, I will do it.

Click on the blue Inquire About This Item button, with full address & phone number details:

Regards,

David Thacker
    Well I have submitted my Inquiry. Nine more to go...
    Same here . . .
    Me three.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    [QUOTE=meyerweb]Me three.[/QUOT

As an alternative, maybe TreoTweak could enable a button to switch back and forth betweek "levels" - so that you can use it for whatever purpose you need at the time. If you want to scropll within an app - FileZ, for example - hit that button (I'd suggest the "zero" key) and you can use the nav bar to scroll; press it again, and it's back to "close", etc.

Just a thought..
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Got an email from David Thacker. He refuses to go application by application, for fixing the 5way nav in all forms issue, which I feel is reasonable. However, I suggested an exclusion drop-down list as a good remedy as in HiLauncher, TST, VolumeRocker, etc. It would look like this.

http://mytreo.net/album//elysian9/exclusion_list.jpg

And in a follow up to that suggestion he said it would be easy to implement, but needs some more people to request it, but not request it here in this forum. Rather do it here in the link below, at his request, because he says he will be sure to see them all that way.

I beleive this is a good remedy for this problem. Just enter your name and your email address here and title it "EXCLUSION LIST":

click here to vote for implementing an exclusion drop-down list for the "enable 5way nav in all forms" option.
    Thanks, elysian9. I think your suggestion is a good one -- something users can check or uncheck as a setting to have TreoTweak help with some applications (the ones with no 5-way support) without interfering with other applications (like DateBk5) which already have 5-way support. This won't address shneor's issue, but it's better than nothing and worth a registration to me.

Hopefully, some other developer out there will take on the task of creating a more advanced and versatile method of bringing 5-way navigation to the programs that for whatever reason haven't implemented it.

BTW: I assume those of us who have already submitted inquiries through David's site per his last request do not need to resubmit them . . . .
    I did again anyways to be sure.
    Just to make sure that everyone understands, it is not necessary to actually buy a license in order to vote your support. Just follow the link and weigh in. Buy when you want to.
    I wonder how many people did actually submit a request. I even bought the program on the hopes of the new feature implementation.
    I requested the change too. I like the program but it henders the functionality of apps already 5-way aware. It is a pain to turn it on and off manually.
    I agree with the exclusion list idea and submitted my vote for it. Breaking the function on some apps while fixing it on others is, at best, a net zero. The exclusion list is a natural extension of the nav features that are added by TreoTweaks and I hope they implement it. I will buy it if they do.
    The good word is that our voice has been heard. We may see something be end of week.
    That's great news. A great new program gets even better . . . .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast