1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the radio in the 650 will support fax transmissions. Due to HIPAA compliance, I must be able to send Faxes direct from the phone and not through an email portal. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last I knew, this was a limitation of the CDMA protocol for Sprint. The radio had little to do with it. I've been wanting to do the same thing (albeit not for patient confidentiality reasons), but they shut me down on my Treo 600.

I've yet to find a way to do it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    What about GSM? How would you interface a fax machine to the TREO 650?
    I have been using GSM phones for years to send and recieve fax. You just need to have fax software set up on your PC.
    IIRC from all the info thats been crammed down my gullet for the past 3 years, Secure IMAP or SSL enabled pop3 are good enough for HIPAA requirments for securing patient data.
    So if those are available to you email is still an option.
    We use Secure IMAP. We have our own email in house so we control access to the server.
    Saw this over at mtdn, might be what your looking for. . .
    http://mytreo.net/forum?topic=9690.0

at least it shows that it's possible
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

The CDMA network can support fax. Sprint will charge you $0.39 per minute, just like any data call. But... you can't use the Treo, it's modem doesn't support the fax commands.

Best bet is an internet->fax gateway. Maybe you can use encrypted sockets or something for privacy?
  8. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    How about bluetooth DUN to a laptop and Winfax from the laptop?
    Cheers

Charles
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallen
    I have been using GSM phones for years to send and recieve fax. You just need to have fax software set up on your PC.
    I'm sure you don't want to keep it a secret Please tell me how I can send a fax from my PC through the Treo650. I have fax software and I want to be able to print(through the fax driver) and have the Treo650 dial out and send the fax. How do you do it? I don't have a land line so I need to use the Treo. What software do I need?

Thanx
    TRoN
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb
    How about bluetooth DUN to a laptop and Winfax from the laptop?
    No, as I said, the Treo modem doesn't support the FAX commands. It might work with a different phone, but not the Treo.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I mentioned this little trick a while ago, but it's worth repeating: You can send a fax via email. Nothing fancy --it's text only-- but if you want to send a fax from your Treo 650 here's how:

Just send an email to: remote-printer.First_Last@12125551212.iddd.tpc.int

For "First" and "Last" substitute the first and last name of the recipient. Use a 10-digit phone number (United States only) for the fax number. That's it -- off your fax goes.

(Sorry it uses email, but it's the only faxing trick I know)

For more information on how to send a fax by email visit (including how to send a fax by email to other countries) visit http://www.tpc.int/faxbyemail.html.

--Bill