Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Which is the better/faster network for voice and data GSM or CDMA? Are there other differences other than speed?
    Last edited by cec; 10/27/2004 at 02:53 PM.
    cdma for speed

difference? cdma is strictly in the states
    gsm is worldwide wherever roaming is available
    CDMA isn't strictly in the states. It's also available in Canada, South Korea, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and South America. It'd be in full swing in Europe too if it weren't for the fact that European governments banned CDMA protecting monopolistic GSM companies.
    Full coverage map here:
    http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    CDMA isn't strictly in the states. It's also available in Canada, South Korea, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and South America. It'd be in full swing in Europe too if it weren't for the fact that European governments banned CDMA protecting monopolistic GSM companies.
    does it support roaming?
    any sprint user able to go to korea or australia or new zealand with their phone and same number?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sprint and Verizon have roaming agreements for CDMA in those countries. They also offer GSM phones when travelling and they hook it up so that your number stays with you. The only thing you lose there is that you don't get to take your CDMA phone with you.

Joe

P.S. If the Treo 650 does support EDGE, it'll be faster than CDMA's 1xRTT.
    I was able to use my Sprint Treo 300 in Christchurch, New Zealand this summer (their winter )
    I have a Treo 600 on Cingular and a Samsung PDA thing 300? on Sprint. If you have nation roaming you have the benefit of using ATT/Cingular and T-mobiles towers, in my West Coast/East Coast traveling experience, far better coverage with GSM.
    ROFL!
    GSM is availablie in 208 countries
    GSM Worldwide coverage site
    You can also read a highly entertaing article about the attempts to sitck Iraq withh CDMA rather than the local standard GSM Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    ROFL!
    You can also read a highly entertaing article about the attempts to sitck Iraq withh CDMA rather than the local standard GSM Here
    I did read that. And you can read a highly entertaining article about why GSM sucks here:
    http://www.techcentralstation.com/102102C.html

Pay particular attention to the parts where he's talking about TDMA being a spectrum hog. I have relatives in Germany that have to carry 2 separate GSM phones from 2 different companies at any given time, because if they get stuck in traffic the spectrum simply overloads and no calls can go through.
    I did read that. And you can read a highly entertaining article about why GSM sucks here:
    cdma phones sucks other than the treo 650
    sorry if i missed something, but i have a cdma question:
    is there any reason to choose verizon over sprint besides the available data network on either service? i mean, if you get the nationwide roaming option, don't you get the coverage advantage of both networks?
    There is a discussion thread somewhere on those two carriers, but it all depends on which gives you have the best coverage in your area. In New York City they are about the same, although Verizon seems to work SLIGHTLY better in some buildings. I use Sprint because their mobile internet plans are a lot cheaper.
    Anthony, that article is a great read. Thanks. I don't feel so bad about being on Verizon now...

Pay particular attention to the parts where he's talking about TDMA being a spectrum hog. I have relatives in Germany that have to carry 2 separate GSM phones from 2 different companies at any given time, because if they get stuck in traffic the spectrum simply overloads and no calls can go through.
    I've got a CDMA Treo 600 on Sprint and it works great, so maybe it depends on where you are. In central/southern CA, everyone I know with a GSM phone has terrible coverage. I had two myself, from two different carriers, and they were both awful. CDMA, on the other hand, has worked nationwide for me.

I'd have to vote for the CDMA.

I was in Provincetown Mass this summer with friends for a week. From 9 am to 6 pm one friends Sprint phone showed full signal, but calls could not be made or recieved because of congestion, everyday. My GSM signal was weaker, remote beach, but, I was always connected, bounced from Tmobile to ATT. Even had full web functions.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Thanks for the link! Very clear explanation of a complex subject.

Make the world safe for CDMA, huh? Ideological poppycock.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Make the world safe for CDMA, huh? Ideological poppycock.
    Commie
    Anthony, the article you pointed to is 2 years old. (I'm not saying that it's outdated or anything, it's not). However, I was wondering if there are any similar articles recently?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast