Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good lord - it's not released yet and they've already scheduled a bug-fix patch (*)!

== "...However, as part of a scheduled maintenance release of software (timing
    == pending some testing)..."

------

(*) Well, actually they haven't scheduled the patch at all since it itself is still being tested!

Beta test anyone!?
    Im floored.

BUT I'll believe it when I see it.

...Im still waiting for the those Bluetooth and WIFI 3rd party cards.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    Im floored.

BUT I'll believe it when I see it.

...Im still waiting for the those Bluetooth and WIFI 3rd party cards.
    I too will remain skeptical until I see it, but the lack of bluetooth and wifi third party cards is not Sprint's fault. Sprint was told by Handspring that the SDIO slot would work for those cards.
    I wonder when, and if this is really going to happen! For those rare times when I want to check my e-mail or whatnot when on the road, it certainly would be nice to not have to take my phone out of my pocket or bother with cables.
    Does this mean that it will support Mac OS X synching et al?
    Knowing Sprint's history with using phones as a modem this is suprising. My paranoia may be getting the best of me, but I fear they made this announcement to avoid hackers from re-enabling BT DUN since it would be ready to go in the 1.1 update anyways....which may or may not ever appear.
    Alas, Sprint listens to the people. This is always been a good thing for robust commerce!
    I would also have to see it to believe it.
    Crippling Bluetooth so it won't be 'misused' is as ridiculous as crippling your dog so he won't escape your yard. Glad to hear they're reversing course. Way to go Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan
    I too will remain skeptical until I see it, but the lack of bluetooth and wifi third party cards is not Sprint's fault. Sprint was told by Handspring that the SDIO slot would work for those cards.
    ...and then they turned around and told us. Much like they are doing here.

(but alas, this isnt the place to get into that)
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think it's more likely that Sprint is listening to the competition. If the GSM carriers are allowing the BT DUN profile to be used, and if they are gaining market share, then Sprint has to match them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Good lord - it's not released yet and they've already scheduled a bug-fix patch (*)!

== "...However, as part of a scheduled maintenance release of software (timing
    == pending some testing)..."

------

(*) Well, actually they haven't scheduled the patch at all since it itself is still being tested!

Beta test anyone!?
    Name one software that has never had a maintenance patch......
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome

The uninformed gentleman forgets PONG.....
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Crippling Bluetooth so it won't be 'misused' is as ridiculous as crippling your dog so he won't escape your yard. Glad to hear they're reversing course. Way to go Sprint.

Funny, but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Giggle - are you going to be one of those with a TREO 650 that needs patching as they walk out the door?

Frankly, if I were going to buy a $400+ ($600+?) programmable device I want it already patched to latest known level.

I guess YMMV, eh?

======

Aside - patching after-the-fact is a given due to the complexity of software these days (and the quality of out-sourced software development!). It's needing a patch BEFORE it is released that sticks in the craw...
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/27/2004 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added aside
    I fear Sprint is trying to find a way to bill the usage differently. We crippled it so we could patch it later and charge you out the %$$## - kind of thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2
    I fear Sprint is trying to find a way to bill the usage differently. We crippled it so we could patch it later and charge you out the %$$## - kind of thing...
    I wouldn't doubt it, but now we know that it is simply a software cripple. Someone will definitely be able to get around any b$ sprint may try.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2
    Did you read the statements made by the SPCS representative in that article?
    From the source quoted above:

I also asked whether the commentator on my previous post was right about the terms of service being a concern, and Jeff responded, "my understanding is that no, we do not have a restriction on these devices from a pricing/plan standpoint. This sort of use only represents a pretty small fraction of Sprint Vision customers, so we see it as one of those areas where if this is how customers choose to connect, we don't stand in the way."

That is SO UNLIKE Sprint and the PDANet application. Does this mean my TOS really doesn't restrict me, or are we just getting ready to upcharge you for tethering when you download the patch?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast