Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    What I think a lot of people are forgetting is that the PCMCIA card is for data, not voice. The Treo is for voice/data. The minimum amount to pay for the Treo on Sprint is $50/month for 300 min talk time and unlimited vision. If you think about it, Sprint would be making a very smart move allowing unlimited vision via BT for $15/month. If a corporate user sees that they could use the Treo via BT instead of a PCMCIA option AND eliminate their current cell phone (with whichever carrier they use), then they are probably going to consider switching to the Treo 650 on Sprint. Now instead of having an $80/month data only customer. They've got a $150 - $200/month data/voice customer. It only makes sense... Sprint's a cell phone carrier, not a broadband company; if they can lure you in to switching to them for all your cell phone needs, I am sure they will do it any way they can.
    Thats a good potential argument on what Sprint SHOULD do, but the fact is the current TOS prohibit using a vision phone as a modem and there have been people that have gotten cut off when they have gotten caught.

One funny thing is that, originally, Sprint sold connector cables so you could use their phone as a modem, then the pulled them and instructed store reps not to tell anyone that it was even possible to use the phone as a modem.
    Sprint sold me "unlimited" vision services. Tmobile's unlimited internet allows this. I wish thier coverage was better in my area.
    What does sprint do if they cut you off? Do they disable vision? What do you have to do to get it back?
    Does anyone know if sprint will double the price of vision on the 650 like they do on the PPC's?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Sprint also emailed me about the change of heart (or is it that nobody at CTIA knew the truth?). I'm writing a commentary on it now, but will ask for comment from both PalmOne and Sprint before I publish it.
    Since You are in contact with the parties, could you share our concern with Memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Good lord...Beta test anyone!?
    From the Wall Street Journal:

[removed - see the Mossberg thread]

Be Careful Out There!

History is about to repeat...
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/28/2004 at 04:52 AM. Reason: removed the same quote as in the other thread
    Sprint says that the TOS is not a problem, because such a small percentage treo users of an already small percentage of their total users (ones on treos), will be using the treo 650 as a modem. They don't mean to prohibit you from using this service - that's why the PPC can do it out of the box. But it's just not economically significant for Sprint ; from a talk with jeff shafer, prprpr $for$ $sprint$.

Supposedly, this has always been Sprint's plan, and it just never got communicated to us well by either the device manufacture, their CEO, or their lead marketer.

[begin spin] Regarding memory, as I said before palmOne believes that they have the right feature set for the right price. If one were to add all the little wants that people have, the device would not be $449 after activation and small, it would be $$$ and huge. [end spin]. Memory is cheap as hell, but above is the idea that palmOne is sticking to, sorry that I don' thave more
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    [begin spin] Regarding memory, as I said before palmOne believes that they have the right feature set for the right price. If one were to add all the little wants that people have, the device would not be $449 after activation and small, it would be $$$ and huge. [end spin]. Memory is cheap as hell, but above is the idea that palmOne is sticking to, sorry that I don' thave more
    From what I rememeber, that was more or less the same marketing spin that was done when Chevrolet announced the Chevette.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    I still have to think that if Sprint released $15 vision and BT phones (Treo or not) too many people would drop their $23 AOL dial-up accounts and use Vision for their ISP. I am not speaking of the people on this board - most of us have broadband.

I am also concerned about the people who decide not to spend the money on a WiFi network because they can take their laptop into the dining room and surf via their phone and BT. Each of these people misusing the network can add up.
    Many people can't get broadband. It simply isn't available. This applies not only to people like myself who live in rural areas with no cable service and no DSL availability, but also others in metro. areas where the needed infrastructure does not exist.

Now companies like ClearWire are starting to put wimax access points on cell towers to provide wireless broadband. Sprint has got to be realizing that people dropping their current ISP and switching to Sprint with bluetooth/tethering combo is a GOOD thing. If cell companies don't roll out 3G services soon, and position them as not only phone service but universal data service, they (cell companies) will be obsolete soon.

There are some people that are hardly ever out of range of wifi, that could use an IP phone with VOIP all day and never need a cell phone. Naysayers will say that there are not enough areas covered by wifi/wimax hotspots but if you look at the coverage maps, they look like the cell phone service maps of years past, clustered around urban areas with high population. But things will only improve, especially when wimax hardware becomes widely available.

The infrastructure is there. A nationwide rollout of wimax would only take a fraction of the investment needed to provide nationwide cell coverage. The towers are already there. A wimax ap on every cell tower in the nation would make the cell companies obsolete, so they had better cater to those looking to make Sprint their primary ISP.
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb
    The infrastructure is there. A nationwide rollout of wimax would only take a fraction of the investment needed to provide nationwide cell coverage. The towers are already there. A wimax ap on every cell tower in the nation would make the cell companies obsolete, so they had better cater to those looking to make Sprint their primary ISP.
    Do you really think the owners of those cell towers (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular) are going to universally lease space to wimax providers; or even allow the owners of towers they lease space on to do so? Never happens.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    That is SO UNLIKE Sprint and the PDANet application. Does this mean my TOS really doesn't restrict me, or are we just getting ready to upcharge you for tethering when you download the patch?
    I and others I know have used PDAnet on Sprint many times with the 300 and never heard a word of complaint. The story I hear is that they target people who buy the Treo and never or rarely make a voice call, but rack up a ton in data.

They don't want this because then you are not a Sprint Mobile customer who happens to use a lot of data but an ISP customer taking advantage of Sprint's pricing scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    Am I the only one that doesn't want Sprint to make it possible to use the BT to hookup to the web with a laptop?

The network is slow enough as it is. If Sprint allows users to get on Vision via laptop and BT, the entire network will slow to a crawl.
    PCSNPIXELS - this is an inacurrate reflection of how carrier bandwidth and internet access works. Sprint, as a carrier, uses metrics to expand their network based on utilization. I compete with Sprint on the carrier side (we don't have a national wireless product yet, but we'll be using a SPCS resale product next year) - and ALL carriers use these metrics. It's usually something like "at 40% of a circuits utilization capacity we trigger an alarm, at 45% utilization we increase the core bandwidth."

The problem you're experiencing is not likely related to "the network" being over-utilized. No carrier (no REAL carrier, that is) will allow utilization to get over 50% without doing something to expand. In our market (Jacksonville, FL) SPCS is installing 21 new towers, adding to an already well covered market. Carriers will always continue to adjust their network expansion, but it is almost always based on utilization of the network (although in this case, it's based on the expected upcoming utilization - can you say, SUPERBOWL?).

So you should be fine, provided SPCS will really enable us to DUN w/BT. I'm with those waiting to see it happen. If I were a SPCS executive, I would see this as another bullet in my "advantage gunbelt", and RUN with it...
    KitMoni
    An interesting note. When I was making the switch to Sprint from T-Mobile I asked the rep on the phone "so I can use my Treo like a modem on my computer to access the unlimited internet right?" and he said "you sure can". So with that said I got the Treo 300 and used it as my PRIMARY internet connection on my desktop PC for six months. It's faster than dialup and cheaper too. I never streamed anything or made any huge downloads, but I got quite a bit of use out of it. I never once heard from Sprint about it, and if I ever did, I'd tell them what the rep on the phone told me when I signed up for service. I think their TOS is merely there to give them some leverage if someone does get out of control. There are state laws that function exactly the same way. For example, it's illegal to pump your own gas here in Oregon. However, if someone does it themself, no one goes out of there way to enforce this law. Now, if someone was to accidently burn down a gas station, they've got one more thing to pin against the person. It's all about the technicalities.
    So would you recommend waiting to purchase the 650 from Sprint until this is corrected? Or would the update be just as good. In other words is this totally a software thing or is it likely the hardware will change? I'd like to get one of these before the end of the year. But is it likely ones released in a few months will have physical and software bugs worked out?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123