Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I go with the theory of the other services not crippling BT DUN. Sprint must offer the capability or stand a chance of lost market share.
    This is GREAT news. I will take sprint for their word... maybe I am naive but I hope that the DUN capability will be fixed soon. Thats the main advantage of BT for me.

Either way... if sprint doesnt do it.. then hopefully some enterprising programmer will!
    Well that's good news. The T650 with Sprint took a slight step up in my list of prospective new phones. Now maybe sprint will anounce that they will be demanding Palm1 put more memory on the thing.
    Sprint also emailed me about the change of heart (or is it that nobody at CTIA knew the truth?). I'm writing a commentary on it now, but will ask for comment from both PalmOne and Sprint before I publish it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Miradu, make sure to clarify if they plan on making it a "for fee" upgrade or not. My fear, while hopefully unfounded, is that Sprint will find some way to charge for this either up front, on on the backside.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Sprint also emailed me about the change of heart (or is it that nobody at CTIA knew the truth?). I'm writing a commentary on it now, but will ask for comment from both PalmOne and Sprint before I publish it.
    Thanks for this tidbit of info and performing fact-checking before publishing it rather than just trying to get the scoop. Looks like I'll be able to stay with Sprint
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Hmmm...just as I was looking to move to another carrier...already got pricing. I think I will wait and see if this develops. I will believe it when I see it.

I don't use tethering much but when I need it...I need it. I was stoked about not having to find my cable anymore I hate wires. Less is more in my book.

Do the right thing Sprint.
    unfortunately they can't possibly know what patches are needed until a bunch of folks are using them in real life. i would be more worried if they did NOT update the software regularly...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Wow... and after this whole release I was planning on jumping ship and moving to GSM when the MPx comes out. Now I'm rethinking this one...

Maybe I don't have to switch to gsm.
    Ugh... i was content being mad at sprint for disabling DUN, and therefore foregoing a T650 upgrade.

Now I may have to come up with $600!
    But the real question is, will users be required to add the "Bluetooth Vision pack" that currently exists for the SE T608 users? Basically it's the same as any other Vision pack but limited to 3 MB / month (tho 1. I doubt they'd do that and 2. I don't think it was ever really enforced).
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Good lord - it's not released yet and they've already scheduled a bug-fix patch (*)!
    Like I've said before this will be my first smartphone and first palm os device. How are software updates typically distributed for a device like this? Do I have to send it in? Do I have to drive 3hrs to the nearest Sprint store? Or is it kind of like a windows update where I can download a patch? Thanks for the info!
    Am I the only one that doesn't want Sprint to make it possible to use the BT to hookup to the web with a laptop?

The network is slow enough as it is. If Sprint allows users to get on Vision via laptop and BT, the entire network will slow to a crawl.

I really hope Sprint monitors usage very closely and sticks it to the data hogs.

I love the idea of synching with BT and using it for wireless accessories, but for a laptop internet connection while traveling, I would rather find a WiFi hotspot in a middleclass neighborhood.

I think that would be more curtious to Sprint subscribers who are using the network for what it was designed to do.
    I posted their statement without comment. I did this because 1) the article I did write had far to harsh of a tone, and needed a lot more work to reflect information learned while talking to Sprint today. 2) I am frustrated by the entire situation because I am getting a strong damage control/not honest vibe from these conversations, and 3) because Sprint employees continue to email me "reminding me", or "telling me of the "inaccuracies" in the article, and I want them stop. I flew a redeye back from CTIA to my home in St. Paul, and have had only 2 hours of sleep since yesterday at 7 am, so I am off to bed. I don't know what to tell you all about bluetooth, though I do have an interesting non sprint/palmone lead with some answers that I hope to follow up on tomorrow.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    My bet is they charge for it. As for complaining that it's a patch,it would be a damn good one. That's all that matters. No doubt another great use for the Treo, and via bluetooth. This would be big if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    Like I've said before this will be my first smartphone and first palm os device. How are software updates typically distributed for a device like this? Do I have to send it in? Do I have to drive 3hrs to the nearest Sprint store? Or is it kind of like a windows update where I can download a patch? Thanks for the info!

The most serious patch for the Treo 600 was actually listed on the PalmOne web page and required a "flash" of the device.

A flash is facilitated by the hotsync function and requires the radio to be turned off during the process. I don't want it to sound complex because it isn't so I'll leave it as that.

My guess is that this DUN upgrade will also be facilitated in the same manner because it appears to modify the Palm OS software and how it handles the Bluetooth.

So to put it in your words, it more of a Windows update where I can download a patch. Just make certain to register the device with PalmOne when you receive and you should be notified by email that a patch is available. But in this world of spam, I'd earmark the PalmOne support page for the 650 when it's up and check it occasionally.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    my guess. they issue the patch and make it subscription based to actually USE this ability and charge you $80 a month like they do with the PCMCIA card or maybe a bit less. they still keep their word that its uncrippled and avoid bandwidth hogs like me. i realize what you are saying about the network however i dont know about u but to me unlimited vision + a phone that supports internet and shoutcast streams to me means UNLIMITED USAGE! whos comin with me!!!
    My guess:

Sprint will say they will "uncripple" it to sell units, and them never do it.

(it all goes back to to signature)
    pcsnpixels wrote:
    Am I the only one that doesn't want Sprint to make it possible to use the BT to hookup to the web with a laptop?

The long answer is: yes.

The network is slow enough as it is. If Sprint allows users to get on Vision via laptop and BT, the entire network will slow to a crawl.

Even without having the demographics at hand, I think it's safe to conjecture that 650 owners who will regularly tether their laptops will make up about 0.1% of Sprint's user base, tops. By the time DUN makes a serious impact, Sprint will have probably completed their EV-DO migration.

I really hope Sprint monitors usage very closely and sticks it to the data hogs.

I've been pretty satisfied with Sprint's don't-ask-don't-tell tethering policy, which effectively allows you to use PDANet and Wireless Modem under 1 GB/mo. without invoking the wrath of Sprint's bandwidth Nazis. I just want the same lattitude without the cable.

I love the idea of synching with BT and using it for wireless accessories, but for a laptop internet connection while traveling, I would rather find a WiFi hotspot in a middleclass neighborhood.

Getting in a car to drive to a hotspot is precisely the inconvenience I want to avoid. I have a PowerBook with WiFi, and if I happen to be somewhere with a free wireless Ethernet connection, I go for it. But I'll be damned if I allowed hotspot deployment to dictate my commuting patterns.

I think that would be more curtious to Sprint subscribers who are using the network for what it was designed to do.

Pretty subjective standard, eh? Sprint wouldn't have added Vision to their networks if there weren't an increased revenue stream to accompany it. "Courteous" isn't in a corporation's vocabulary. Sprint wants to increase consumption of their services, not decrease them.
    I guess that is what makes the Treo - any version - such a great device. Everyone has a different use for it. I guess I was speaking too much for myself, something that happens on a board like this too often. I apologize.

I realize for a quick logon to web email, update a website or bid on eBay etc., BT and a laptop makes sense. But I am concerned about those who will abuse the service.

I still have to think that if Sprint released $15 vision and BT phones (Treo or not) too many people would drop their $23 AOL dial-up accounts and use Vision for their ISP. I am not speaking of the people on this board - most of us have broadband.

I am also concerned about the people who decide not to spend the money on a WiFi network because they can take their laptop into the dining room and surf via their phone and BT. Each of these people misusing the network can add up.

I am not concerned about how many megabits individuals are downloading, only about how many people are using bandwidth at the same time and slowing down the network.

I know Sprint is out to make a buck, but I also have to believe that there is a technical reason they charge $80 + or - per month for their PCMCIA service. The way the web is used on a cell phone is like night and day from the way they use it on a laptop. I have no problem with Sprint activating the feature, as long as they charge more for the service to discourage hogging bandwidth.

In other words, I understand how handy DUN would be for those who are conservative with its use, but I am more afraid that Vision could quickly become the free Juno of the wireless world, worn down by misuse and abuse.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast