Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Been checking the return/exchange policy for Treo providers like Verizon & T-Mobile because I'm hearing things about the Treo 600, etc. not working, and want to take precautions before maybe buying a 650.

Let me get this straight (according to what the fine print says on these sites):

If you buy a new $500 Treo 600 (or 650) and it doesn't work, and you bring it back to your provider, they only give you a REFURBISHED one back?

How is that fair? You pay for a new phone, and a day later if it's a lemon, you only get one that was already proven to be a lemon too??!!
    Yes, that's the way it works.
    I would say that is not entirely true. I purchased a Treo 600 from my friend last year. The phone broke a week or so ago. I brought it in to Sprint and they handed me a brand new phone with all the accessories, paperwork and box.

My 02. cents
    -Jesse
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    I can't believe that could be true. Isn't that against any type of consumer protection law or anything?

I can guarantee you I won't take it lightly if I buy a lemon and am given a factory refurb only a day or two later.
    Whether the carrier and/or PalmOne can "make it stick" is, of course, debatable.

However, that IS what they have as a "written" policy.
    Actually, that's not entirely the way it works. The service provider has the option of giving you a refurbished unit; it is not necessary for them to do so. However, depending on the circumstances of your situation, supply, and other variables you will most likely get a refurbed unit - but that's not always the case.

I would like to see that policy if someone can point it to me. I don't have my TOS handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I would like to see that policy if someone can point it to me. I don't have my TOS handy.
    == "...4 Repair & Return is the U.S. standard repair process for Tungsten,
    == Zire, and Palm-branded devices. The Repair Center shall, at its option,
    == either replace Treo and Visor products with a comparable product or
    == repair the same product. Replacement products may be reconditioned..."

-- http://www.palmone.com/us/support/co...matrix_us.html
    I bought 1 Treo 600, Recieved 6 Used ones as replacements. Yes, they give you a used one. Sad huh?
    But if you buy a 650 and return it soon after purchase, they're going to have to give you a new one. There won't be any refurbs in the pipeline yet.

But this aversion to refurbs really doesn't make sense. Reburbs are, in most cases, gone over and inspected on a 100% basis. If a manufacturer does it right, your odds of getting a defective refurb are lower than getting a defective new one.

Of course, there seems to be plenty of anecdotal evidence that Palm doese NOT "do it right."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    "Replacement products may be reconditioned." - but not necessarily.

This is P1's language, the TOS for service providers may dictate otherwise if handsets are purchased through them. Again, I don't have the TOS for the providers.

== "...4 Repair & Return is the U.S. standard repair process for Tungsten,
    == Zire, and Palm-branded devices. The Repair Center shall, at its option,
    == either replace Treo and Visor products with a comparable product or
    == repair the same product. Replacement products may be reconditioned..."

-- http://www.palmone.com/us/support/co...matrix_us.html
    Verizon says:

== "...If you choose to exchange your phone, the phone you receive
    == may be refurbished equipment..."

-- http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/g...turnPolicy.jsp

T-Mobile says it's up to the manufacturer -see above for what PalmOne says...

Do you want me to continue?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Why is a working refurb worse than a faulty new phone?
    The question at the top was "Is this the policy?".
    That IS the policy, and I got NAILED by it.. I purchased a Treo 600 from TMobile and when I got it there was a bright spot on the screen, I called in and they said a new one was on it's way. When it arrived, handset only, I found out that it was refurbished and would not access the internet. So they sent another refurb.. Now i"m getting complaints from people who call me about echoing, so TMO sent me ANOTHER refurb.. The new refurb has screen problems, so I'm keeping the one that echoes... I'm rather pissed and tempted to go to a local store and throw them BOTH through their window =)
    Dunno, Sprint has full refunds within 14 days. I returned my 600 and got my money back no questions asked.
    I walked into Sprint a few months ago with a out of area issue, and they opened a brand new box, that was being held for someone and gave it to me no questions asked!
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseNYC
    I would say that is not entirely true. I purchased a Treo 600 from my friend last year. The phone broke a week or so ago. I brought it in to Sprint and they handed me a brand new phone with all the accessories, paperwork and box.

My 02. cents
    -Jesse
    If you use Sprint, you probably received a "refurbished" unit and never knew it. Refurbished units look brand new, come in a new box, with all the new accessories. Most of us who had problems with the T600's received refurbished units, especially if you exchanged via mail. Its a sad policy. Some are lucky and can coax a Sprint sales person into a new one in the store.
    Mine was a new device. I leveraged the power of a business account for personal gains. The manager also mentioned that I'll get the first 650, after his! Leveraging only works so far I guess.
    well, the 650's are being manufactured by another company, allegedly to address quality issues. let's hope we don't NEED replacements...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast